Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Which government benefits do you recieve?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Which government benefits do you recieve?
Wic and ebt  
 4%  [ 11 ]
Just wic  
 13%  [ 35 ]
Just ebt  
 5%  [ 13 ]
Ssi  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Section 8 plus wic/ebt  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Just section 8  
 0%  [ 2 ]
Vouchers plus wic and ebt  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Other  
 10%  [ 27 ]
None  
 61%  [ 159 ]
Total Votes : 257

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 4:52 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
Most of the people who I know on government programs who are living the high life, are also cheating on them. In general I know very few people who remained on income based programs long term and remained honest.

How do you cheat on them? What does that mean?

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 4:56 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Underreport income and receive more benefits.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 4:59 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
Most of the people who I know on government programs who are living the high life, are also cheating on them. In general I know very few people who remained on income based programs long term and remained honest.
Medicaid for kids (chip) has fairly high income limits. Other than that I agree it isn't doable long term, unless you are also receiving tzedakah.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:02 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:

Ah yes. That's done here too. Although it's not so simple as here you need to submit your pay stubs so unless you are working under the table or for an American company it's not really possible.

But there's definitely lying and cheating, and definitely rabbanim that endorse that. This isn't a huge amount of money but there's groups of fake schools issuing fake student ID cards so you can pay half the fare on busses and buy a student yearly pass which is pretty cheap. I know someone in kollel here who told me the rabbanim in Yerushalayim and his rosh kollel have no issue with it.

It's something I would never consider doing.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:

So basically, you're accusing everyone on programs of not only taking from your precious pocket but also of lying and cheating in order to do it. Can't Believe It

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:08 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
So basically, you're accusing everyone on programs of not only taking from your precious pocket but also of lying and cheating in order to do it. Can't Believe It

I made no such accusation and am not making such an accusation. She asked how a person can cheat on programs and I answered.

I must have hit a raw nerve if I got such a reaction.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:16 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
I made no such accusation and am not making such an accusation. She asked how a person can cheat on programs and I answered.

I must have hit a raw nerve if I got such a reaction.

Wow, and now you continue the chutzpah by gaslighting. "Such a reaction"? To a crazy statement that no one could be on programs without cheating? I would hope any normal person would have such a reaction. How dare you be motzei shem ra on klal yisrael like that. It's so sad what people can stoop to when they're in the grips of jealousy and greed.

I honestly am shocked to meet a frum person even online who has such a twisted, dark way of thinking.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:21 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Wow, and now you continue the chutzpah by gaslighting. Such a reaction? To a crazy statement that no one could be on programs without cheating? I would hope any normal person would have such a reaction. How dare you be motzei shem ra on klal yisrael like that. It's so sad what people can stoop to when they're in the grips of jealousy and greed.

I never said that no one could be on programs without cheating and do not believe that to be true.

This is my last response to you

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:25 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Are you seriously asking?

I am not saying that cheating is rampant because honestly I have no idea but it certainly exists

Get paid in cash is the most obvious - or combination of cash and on the books - but just enough to qualify and not make it appear that you have absolutely no income which wouldn't be believable,

Shenanigans with Section 8 where a relative is your landlord

Don't get married civilly so can receive benefits as a single mother

State officials said Tuesday 159 people took advantage of a controversial prosecution amnesty program offered in the wake of welfare fraud arrests in Lakewood.

Those individuals are expected to repay a total of about $2.2 million — an average of $13,800 each — in Medicaid benefits they wrongly received, according to the Office of the State Comptroller.

The controversial amnesty offer was made after 26 Lakewood residents were arrested last year on welfare fraud charges. Ocean County prosecutors say those people — 13 married couples — stole benefits worth a total of more than $2 million that they did not qualify for by under-reporting their incomes.

That sum is separate from the money being recovered by the amnesty program

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:32 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
I never said that no one could be on programs without cheating.

This is my last response to you
Yes you were very respectful in your posts. Some people cheat. We all know that.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Yes you were very respectful in your posts. Some people cheat. We all know that.

There's nothing whatsoever respectful about implying that everyone who stays on programs cheats. And this the attitude what we have to deal with, on top of everything else we go through.

Maybe you higher earners simply can't fathom the depth of the struggle the poor go through, so it's easier and makes you feel less guilty to write us all off as liars, cheats and thieves.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:48 pm
amother Midnight wrote:

[/I]

Yeah I was. I am not familiar with the American system at all or how it works since I moved to Israel as a teen. We don't have benefits like these in Israel. The only people who get benefits are low income. Not if you don't work at all. Also the benefits are way less here, and to go unemployment you need to actually be out of a job you worked at for a period of time, and have gotten fired (not quit) etc.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 5:55 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
There's nothing whatsoever respectful about implying that everyone who stays on programs cheats. And this the attitude what we have to deal with, on top of everything else we go through.

Maybe you higher earners simply can't fathom the depth of the struggle the poor go through, so it's easier and makes you feel less guilty to write us all off as liars, cheats and thieves.

I don’t think people receiving benefits are cheats.

However I do think some of it has to do with decisions that were made because of assumptions about receiving benefits. My decisions were based on wanting to be able to support a family without needing government benefits unless something catastrophic and unexpected happened.

It is just a completely different way of planning one’s life

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 6:40 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:

She never said anyone. I'm not sure why you're misinterpreting what she said like that.

And I'm not a higher earner. I wish lol. I'm currently disabled and thanking Hashem for programs.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 6:42 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Yeah I was. I am not familiar with the American system at all or how it works since I moved to Israel as a teen. We don't have benefits like these in Israel. The only people who get benefits are low income. Not if you don't work at all. Also the benefits are way less here, and to go unemployment you need to actually be out of a job you worked at for a period of time, and have gotten fired (not quit) etc.
Sounds basically the same as the US. But if you have kids under 6 they will allow you to stay home with them and get benefits.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:23 pm
amother Midnight wrote:

I am not saying that cheating is rampant because honestly I have no idea but it certainly exists

Get paid in cash is the most obvious - or combination of cash and benefits

Shenanigans with Section 8 where a relative is your landlord

Don't get married civilly so can receive benefits as a single mother

State officials said Tuesday 159 people took advantage of a controversial prosecution amnesty program offered in the wake of welfare fraud arrests in Lakewood.

Those individuals are expected to repay a total of about $2.2 million — an average of $13,800 each — in Medicaid benefits they wrongly received, according to the Office of the State Comptroller.

The controversial amnesty offer was made after 26 Lakewood residents were arrested last year on welfare fraud charges. Ocean County prosecutors say those people — 13 married couples — stole benefits worth a total of more than $2 million that they did not qualify for by under-reporting their incomes.

That sum is separate from the money being recovered by the amnesty program

And unfortunately we know that for every crime that is discovered and prosecuted, a much higher percentage is not.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:42 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
My husband and I both work in klei kodesh, make just enough not to receive any govt benefits, and are tremendously cautious of how we spend. We work hard to make sure our kids don’t feel like have-nots, and Hashem is blessing us to have what we need. (And often, even what we want!)

if you are teachers, are you aware of QTR and parsonage?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 5:34 pm
If I apply with this link will I get the new kosher one eventually? Or will they send me a nonkosher one now?

Answer: The Kosher tablet is not completely done yet but we should have it available in the next 1-2 months. If you don't want a regular tablet I would wait to apply.
Any other questions please feel free to send me an email at: rachelk@techsafetablets.com

Coffeegirl

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 5:35 pm
amother Birch wrote:
If I apply with this link will I get the new kosher one eventually? Or will they send me a nonkosher one now?

The Kosher tablet is not completely done yet but we should have it available in the next 1-2 months. If you don't want a regular tablet I would wait to apply.
Any other questions please feel free to send me an email at: rachelk@techsafetablets.com

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 5:37 pm
For anyone that is on any type of government assistance (I.e medicaid, wic, snap etc......) you can be eligible to get Free internet service with a Tablet courtesy of the government.

It is ONE per household. You can apply under a child or an adult in your house that is getting any type of gov't assistance.

They will soon be coming out with a Kosher tablet that will only have approved apps on it and will be blocked from mainstream internet if so desired.

Use this link to apply: techsafetablet.com/?referral=27

(Only applicable to Americans)

If you have any questions please feel free to send me an email at: rachelk@techsafetablets.com
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics