Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Cats in supermarkets
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 8:41 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Fleas will not live on humans though. If a cat is not treated they may stay in the bedding of the cat's household, but you won't get a flea infestation from brushing past a cat in the supermarket.

True.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 9:13 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I would most definitely pack treats for the kitty and pet it as much as I could. take pictures too!

Same 😻

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 9:24 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
..more than one store in Brooklyn has cats! Both large and small groceries.
For all those who are spooked already some of the largest yeshiva kitchens have famous cats (outside of Brooklyn)

There’s a famous story from years ago about a yeshiva in Israel that had a huge cholent pot they used every week. Once they cleaned it out after Shabbos and found a cat at the bottom. I always thought this was some kind of yerushalmi urban legend. Reading this thread reminded me and is making me wonder…

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 9:26 pm
if the cat has a job (pest control), I'd imagine the shopkeepers keep up to date on flea prevention, rabies shots, etc. they too interact with this cat and don't want to exchange "ick" with it. and they would also want it healthy to keep doing good work handling the shop vermin.

our library had a cat for many years. I was sad when he retired. our garden store has a cat and it is like a celebrity sighting if I get to see it. a top notch day if I'm solicited for a petting.

I also use a print shop that had a dog. idk what her job was, but I happily let her sniff me. I'd stop on my way home so I'd feel guilty petting so my dog shouldn't smell I pet another dog. if I go at lunchtime, I'd pet and wash up 🤣

gr82no

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 9:31 pm
Ik the matzah bakery I use has a cat because of the mice but it generally stays down by day

cookier

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 9:44 pm
I love me a bodega cat. Wouldn’t you rather a cat (who is probably getting rabies and flea prevention) over leptospirosis or salmonella from rodents?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 9:53 pm
I think some of you are being naive. Every food store in Brooklyn has a cat. The Jewish ones mainly keep them in the basement until closing but if you shop in one store enough you see it once in a while. Over Yom tov, I passed a meat store and the cat had moved away the shade and was peering out the front window.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 10:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
It brushed against my legs when shopping. It could have rabies.

It would have to bite you (and have rabies) for you to get rabies from it.

If it brushed against you, it likes you. Congrats! You have a new friend!

WhereCoffee

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:02 pm
sequoia wrote:
Meow

Purr purr purr

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:29 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Ick
Don’t need cats from floor climbing on my food/produce
And just ick all around

So you rather want mice & rats, which are a very real health risk?? I think every grocery store in Brooklyn has a cat. They probably don't climb the shelves, they just roam the store.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:33 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
So you rather want mice & rats, which are a very real health risk?? I think every grocery store in Brooklyn has a cat. They probably don't climb the shelves, they just roam the store.

Also, cats are not interested in produce or most other supermarket food, and they are fed well with food they do like. It's the mice and rats that would be all over the food...

This is always how domestic cats have been used. Being small, tame carnivores with great hunting abilities, they have a very useful spot in the food chain for farmers or others with lots of grain and vegetable stock that's susceptible to infestation by smaller herbivores.

Hashem gave them a purrfect role to help us humans out 🐈

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:35 pm
dena613 wrote:
Gross.
Not clean.

Cats are probably cleaner than humans.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:39 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
I think some of you are being naive. Every food store in Brooklyn has a cat. The Jewish ones mainly keep them in the basement until closing but if you shop in one store enough you see it once in a while. Over Yom tov, I passed a meat store and the cat had moved away the shade and was peering out the front window.

This. Every grocery store in Brooklyn has a cat. As they should. To PROTECT our health . I’m always surprised at some of the dumb things I read on imamother. 🙄

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:39 pm
WhereCoffee wrote:
Purr purr purr

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur…🎵

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:44 pm
Wow, thos is so interesting. I live in israel where we have lots and lots of stray cats, but Ive never seen even one IN a store.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:44 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Wow, thos is so interesting. I live in israel where we have lots and lots of stray cats, but Ive never seen even one IN a store.

Israeli cats are different 🐱‍👤
ETA: the emoji looked like a gangster cat on my computer, but it's showing up differently on my phone for some reason

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:47 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Israeli cats are different 🐱‍👤

How so?

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:51 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
This. Every grocery store in Brooklyn has a cat. As they should. To PROTECT our health . I’m always surprised at some of the dumb things I read on imamother. 🙄

Not knowing everything, doesn't make one dumb.
Calling others dumb, does make one a bully.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:51 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
How so?

They're much more wild and not really pet material, as I've heard

juggling

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:54 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Right, I opened up this thread expecting it to be about stray cats.

In Israel I've seen some grocery stores with pigeons flying overhead. That is pretty disgusting, if you ask me.

If the cats are domesticated cats who are cared for by the owners of the store, and they are there to catch mice and rats, that doesn't sound too bad.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics