Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weights

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 7:28 pm
Is lifting weight exercise better then arobic?
does anyone enjoy it better?
can uonly do that to lose weight or do you have to do arobic also?

yentaof8

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 7:39 pm
Lifting weights will tone your muscles which makes you more efficient in burning fat and feeling firm. However, the layers of fat (sorry, if sounds graphic) around the muscle is best burned off thru aerobic exercises. Which is why a routine of aerobics 5 or more times a week and lifting weights 3 times a week ( need a day's rest between sessions of the same muscle group) is your best bet combo. While I know all this, doing it is a whole other story.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 7:52 pm
You should do both weights and cardio. Many people think it's only important to do cardio, but it's really important to do both every other day. Many people are misinformed and think that you burn more calories doing cardio, but that's not true.

Personally, I find weights boring, but do it at least twice a week (or more) because I know how important it is. It helps prevent osteoporosis and burns lots of calories.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:44 pm
You really need both, but they don't have to be on alternate days.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 10:45 pm
wiights build musles. muscles help u burn fat. the more u have hte more fat u burn. so if u do weights and then other days or whenever do cardio then it will be more effective

RachelB

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:12 pm
Another important point of weight training for women is bone density - it's a great weight to maintain stronger bones and joints.
But weight training only will not make you loose fat..sorry.

octopus

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:59 pm
Here is my two cents: I have read that studies have been done that very overweight ppl did only strength training (using resistance bands) adn they lost weight doing no cardio. Doctors do not want to say do away with cardio because they still think it's good for your heart. I don't know for how long these ppl did this for; it could've taken years maybe. I will say this, though. Some ppl think that they have to be hopping around like crazy while exercising in order to burn some fat. The key is, in my opinion, to get the best workout in the least amount of time. If you are exercising at home get your heart rate up and then do a set with weights. For ex. jumprope for a minute (you can do something diff everytime). Pump weight for a minute. Repeat until you finish your exercise routine. Also, some ppl think if htey just stand there with the weight, that they are exercising. they are not. Plus good form is really important.
Weights speed up your metabolism. You will burn more fat by doing your daily routines. That is.... if you really doing the weights (prob like three times a week). Plus you have to be careful not to hurt yourslef. Start slow. It is never worth it to injure yourself.

You would think I would be super duper toned or something by writing this. I need to take my own advice! LOL

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:29 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
Here is my two cents: I have read that studies have been done that very overweight ppl did only strength training (using resistance bands) adn they lost weight doing no cardio. Doctors do not want to say do away with cardio because they still think it's good for your heart. I don't know for how long these ppl did this for; it could've taken years maybe. I will say this, though. Some ppl think that they have to be hopping around like crazy while exercising in order to burn some fat. The key is, in my opinion, to get the best workout in the least amount of time. If you are exercising at home get your heart rate up and then do a set with weights. For ex. jumprope for a minute (you can do something diff everytime). Pump weight for a minute. Repeat until you finish your exercise routine. Also, some ppl think if htey just stand there with the weight, that they are exercising. they are not. Plus good form is really important.
Weights speed up your metabolism. You will burn more fat by doing your daily routines. That is.... if you really doing the weights (prob like three times a week). Plus you have to be careful not to hurt yourslef. Start slow. It is never worth it to injure yourself.

You would think I would be super duper toned or something by writing this. I need to take my own advice! LOL

Could be. Have you ever heard about Motionless Exercise? google it if you want to. In a nutshell, it's a woman who said she lost fabulous amounts of weight doing exercise like Kegels.

bashinda

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 10:47 pm
I'm bumping this thread because I need advice on getting some free weights.

I was told adjustable weights are good but they seem expensive.

I've never used free weights ever. What should I look for?

Thanks!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 7:53 am
Just go to Target, Wal-Mart, or K-Mart and purchase a set of 3 pound, 5 pound, and 8 pound weights. They have loose basic dumbbells for around $4 each. You don't need anything fancy, just get the cheapest type they have.

Imaonwheels

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 8:58 am
I am way overweight and have back and leg pain. I complained to the ortho that I don't lose weight because movement is too painful to exersize - even walking. He said no problem - do weights. That aerobi is not necessary and women's gyms bring it to get people to come and use their equally non necessary machines.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
Is lifting weight exercise better then arobic?
does anyone enjoy it better?
can uonly do that to lose weight or do you have to do arobic also?

Lifting weights is very different than aerobic excersize. There's no better or worse. If you mean to build muscle, yes it's better. If you mean to lose weight then it's not better than aerobic excersize.

Both forms of excersize are enjoyable. The results differ though.

You must include aerobic excersize into your workout to lose weight. You can do both if you like but weights alone will not give you the weight loss results that aerobic excersizes will.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 9:39 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
I am way overweight and have back and leg pain. I complained to the ortho that I don't lose weight because movement is too painful to exersize - even walking. He said no problem - do weights. That aerobi is not necessary and women's gyms bring it to get people to come and use their equally non necessary machines.

That doesn't make sense. Cardio is definitely important to do. If you have knee and back problems, you should try using a Spinner bike because it's easy on the knees. At my gym, a lot of the women that are extremely overweight use the bikes because many have knee issues.

A good exercise program consists of weights and cardio. However, it is difficult for many overweight people to do intense cardio because range of motion can be impaired. Therefore, it's beneficial to do weights so at least one is doing something.

It's definitely better to just do weights rather than doing nothing, however, if you want to do a well rounded program, you will include cardio into your exercise routine.

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 11:43 am
I use resistance bands instead of free weights. You get more exercise per motion (resistance on both the up and down). You can buy one for like 14 bucks on amazon. Get a really light one if you are just starting out.
Building muscle is good- muscle burns more calories.
If you want the most bang for your weight workout, run in place for 30 seconds (or a minute)b/f starting a set of weight lifting activities. Keep on doing the running in place b/f each set. This will get your heart rate up, and make you burn more for the time you are working out.

bashinda

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 2:59 pm
happytobeamommy: that sounds great except I absolutely detest running. My mom loves spinning. All this time I thought she was spinning around though. LOL

defy: I didn't realize target sold them. I'll have to try and shlep out sometime and get one.

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 3:01 pm
ok-you don't have to run- skip! LOL
do jumping jacks
jump rope
twist
knee raises (now that gets your heart rate up! plus it works your abs and legs)
hoola-hoop.
anything you like
or
love
Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise