Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Am I supposed to feel awkward asking for my paycheck?
Previous  1  2

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:55 pm
Hi x, Im heading out now. Do you have my check?

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 5:57 pm
Go for it in the morning then he has the whole day to get it together
Don’t ask simply say “hi I’m here to pick up my check” smiling brightly
If he demurs
Say ok I’ll be back in an hour turn around and walk out
Slow walk any work or distractions
He’s too forgetful or busy? Then so are you
In a smart way

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 6:01 pm
You shouldn't. Your BOSS should. Shame on him. The Torah specifically instructs an employer to pay his employees immediately at the end of the day. The pay period in modern times is usually somewhere between one week and one month, not one day, but any way one slices it, . your employer is transgressing a Torah commandment by holding up your pay.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 10:53 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
Yes, I'm too embarrassed to say this under my name. I worked somewhere and never got checks in a timely manner. He owed me like 25k. My husband was furious. I even quit without having received checks owed to me.
It's also a money mindset issue. It's not feeling cheap. You deserve it.
Yes!! It's so important to work on your money mindset.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 10:56 am
Thanks everyone! When I asked him about it yesterday I guess he felt how uncomfortable I was, he gives me this smirk and is all like "You think I don't want to pay you? I just forgot."
I nearly quit on the spot, never felt more stupid in my life

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone! When I asked him about it yesterday I guess he felt how uncomfortable I was, he gives me this smirk and is all like "You think I don't want to pay you? I just forgot."

Big smile
Right that's why I am reminding you! So glad you're on it! Thanks!

If he doesn't pay and makes you feel stupid is it a good place to work

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 10:58 am
amother OP wrote:
Sounds to me like he really didn't want to pay you. I think you should start looking for a boss who respects you and won't "forget".

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:00 am
amother OP wrote:

You have nothing to feel stupid about. You did nothing wrong.
You can have a small meeting today this is not acceptable.
There are payroll programs he can use, suitable for a small company.
You can even do your research prior to the meeting so you are professional and prepared. It's not a busha to work for your money.
Fingercheck, QuickBooks etc.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:02 am
Op good for you! Was gonna post and say please report back…
Really not cool
Not so nice of him
Him forgetting does not make it ok
And turning it on you instead of apologizing is a bit of a let’s just say pink flag if not altogether red
Pat yourself on the back! You should not feel stupid and the fact that he made you feel so speaks volumes about him!
You should be PROUD of yourself!
Upward and onward

And fyi as employers we pride ourselves on paying on time every time! What a chutzpah he has

Keep practicing it gets easier and easier every time
Next time say “now why would you think that?!”

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:06 am
amother OP wrote:

"I understand, that's why I'm here to remind you"

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:16 am
amother Sage wrote:
Op good for you! Was gonna post and say please report back…
Really not cool
Not so nice of him
Him forgetting does not make it ok
And turning it on you instead of apologizing is a bit of a let’s just say pink flag if not altogether red
Pat yourself on the back! You should not feel stupid and the fact that he made you feel so speaks volumes about him!
You should be PROUD of yourself!
Upward and onward

And fyi as employers we pride ourselves on paying on time every time! What a chutzpah he has

Keep practicing it gets easier and easier every time
Next time say “now why would you think that?!”

Thank you! you've been very helpful. Any chance you're looking for a new employee? Wink

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 11:18 am
He’s the one who should feel stupid, not you. He’s being a terrible employer. It’s not an okay mistake to forget to pay your employee. It’s his responsibility to make sure that never happens.

I wish I could give your boss a piece of my mind.

My company once had a banking issue that delayed everyone’s direct deposits by a day. My boss went to the bank, got cash and paid everyone in cash that day. People live on tight budgets, they can’t just not pay their bills on time.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 12:10 pm
This is a little different because it's not a company, but I often forget about paying my maid, just because I pay her on the 15th and 30th of the month and I don't usually keep track of the secular date. I never pay her late though because she always reminds me towards the end of the day that I'm supposed to pay her "Today is the 15th" or "today is the 30th" and I thank her for the reminder and pay her. I try to remember on my own but usually don't... This is a good reminder to me to try harder. My maid probably thought of telling me the date as a not awkward way to remind me. Maybe you can copy her idea.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

Ugh he sounds like a jerk

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

Eww. How disrespectful toward you as a person and a valuable employee. You deserve better than that. You did nothing wrong.

I second the recommendation to ask for direct deposit.

Hatzlocha OP.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 2:34 pm
Direct deposit won't do the trick if he "forgets" to make the payments. OP, it's time for you to update your resume and start looking for another job. Your employer is a jerk.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 2:36 pm
And yes, I think he doesn't want to pay you for as long as he can get away with it.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 3:00 pm
I pay the salaries for the business I run, and sometimes the person who processes the payroll is late (vacation, wifi is down, wtvr.) You can be sure almost every one of my employees asks me what happened.

I do it via direct deposit, I didn't know people still did checks in 2023. We don't even have a checkbook for our business.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 3:02 pm
amother Red wrote:
This is a little different because it's not a company, but I often forget about paying my maid, just because I pay her on the 15th and 30th of the month and I don't usually keep track of the secular date. I never pay her late though because she always reminds me towards the end of the day that I'm supposed to pay her "Today is the 15th" or "today is the 30th" and I thank her for the reminder and pay her. I try to remember on my own but usually don't... This is a good reminder to me to try harder. My maid probably thought of telling me the date as a not awkward way to remind me. Maybe you can copy her idea.

I have a question for you: Have you ever thought of why you tend to forget days of payment?
There are tons of technical solutions. Circle the 15th and 30th on your calendar. Set a reminder on your phone etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics