Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Help me calculate!

corolla

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:21 am
Calling all mathematicians! I wish I knew the formula for this as I keep having this issue every time!

Trying to calculate how many challahs I need for the YT season. There will be 2 men making Hamotzi, not planning on any guests at this time, but it's always good to have extra (but not too much extra because freezer space).

Assuming that 2 challahs will be cut per meal, and 1 challah will "roll over" to the next meal (they will share the third challah between themselves for lechem mishna), how many challahs will I need to make in total?

RH- 4 meals
Shabbos Shuva- 2 meals
Erev YK- Do we need to wash?
Sukkos- 4 meals
Shmini Atzeres/Simchas Torah- only 1 meal at home, rest at Shul.

Total: 11 meals, but let's count 12 just to be safe.

All help is much appreciated!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:25 am
Erev YK seuda mafseket you definitely need bread.

TheCoolMom

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:25 am
People have a custom to wash erev YK (for both meals) and for the Yom Kippur break fast.
Also, are there a shabbos this year between first days of succos and simchas Torah?

Last edited by TheCoolMom on Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:26 am
Also hoshana rabba many people have hamotzi.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:28 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Also hoshana rabba many people have hamotzi.
Good you reminded us Smile

fatso gal

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:32 am
It sounds like you will eat 3 challahs a meal. It sounds like there are 13 meals. That make 39 plus a some extra.

corolla

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:37 am
TheCoolMom wrote:
People have a custom to wash erev YK (for both meals) and for the Yom Kippur break fast.
Also, are there a shabbos this year between first days of succos and simchas Torah?

No. Both first day of Sukkos and Shmini Atzeres are Shabbos.

corolla

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:38 am
fatso gal wrote:
It sounds like you will eat 3 challahs a meal. It sounds like there are 13 meals. That make 39 plus a some extra.

Only 2, like I said 1 will roll over to the next meal.
Can you please share your logic?

fatso gal

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:56 am
corolla wrote:
Only 2, like I said 1 will roll over to the next meal.
Can you please share your logic?

I read it as 4 challahs set at the table and one roll over. It is the same logic of 2 per meal so you need 26 and some extra.

corolla

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:01 am
fatso gal wrote:
I read it as 4 challahs set at the table and one roll over. It is the same logic of 2 per meal so you need 26 and some extra.

Thanks!

English3

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:11 am
You need two per meal and one more, so twelve meals is twenty four challos plus one chalo for lechem mishna.

teachkids

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:25 am
English3 wrote:
You need two per meal and one more, so twelve meals is twenty four challos plus one chalo for lechem mishna.

Problem with this math is that it assumes you're refreezing the extra challah from RH to use another YT. Personally I don't refreeze.
We just use matzahs for the final lechem Mishna or I make small rolls (figure 4- rh, shabbos shuva, first days , last days- we don't use lechem Mishna erev YK).

baltomom

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:07 am
I think what's being left out of this calculation is the fact that all the yomim tovim this year are Shabbos/Sunday, so you will need some sort of shalosh seudos (an extra meal). Assuming you use 2 challos for shalosh seudos, and a matzah for lechem mishna for the last meal:

RH: 2/meal x5 meals =10 (plus a matzah or a frozen challah you'll return to the freezer for the last meal)
Sukkos 1st days=10
Shabbos shuva=3 meals x2=6 (same cheshbon for the lechem mishna at the last meal)
Erev/Motzei Yom Kippur--depending on what you do, I don't think you need lechem mishna--I usually have one challah for each of 2 erev YK meals plus one on motzei YK--which would be 3 for me but may be more or less for you (do you actually need 2 full challos for your number of people or it's just because you have multiple men making hamotzi?)
Simchas Torah--Just 2, according to what you said (assuming a matzah or frozen challah--make sure to have one extra! for lechem mishna)--but will you also need shalosh seudos on Shmini atzeres?

So according to this calculation you need at least 28, plus whatever you use for erev YK, plus any extras you need for lechem mishna.

cholentfan1

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:36 am
If it's just for lechem mishna or shalosh seudos, I often do rolls. So each person can have their own roll for shalosh seudos. Most people in my house don't eat much for shalosh seudos, so a roll each works perfectly, otherwise I start having a lot of started challos which aren't much use, as I can't use it for lechem mishna anymore.

fatso gal

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 1:31 pm
baltomom wrote:
I think what's being left out of this calculation is the fact that all the yomim tovim this year are Shabbos/Sunday, so you will need some sort of shalosh seudos (an extra meal). Assuming you use 2 challos for shalosh seudos, and a matzah for lechem mishna for the last meal:

RH: 2/meal x5 meals =10 (plus a matzah or a frozen challah you'll return to the freezer for the last meal)
Sukkos 1st days=10
Shabbos shuva=3 meals x2=6 (same cheshbon for the lechem mishna at the last meal)
Erev/Motzei Yom Kippur--depending on what you do, I don't think you need lechem mishna--I usually have one challah for each of 2 erev YK meals plus one on motzei YK--which would be 3 for me but may be more or less for you (do you actually need 2 full challos for your number of people or it's just because you have multiple men making hamotzi?)
Simchas Torah--Just 2, according to what you said (assuming a matzah or frozen challah--make sure to have one extra! for lechem mishna)--but will you also need shalosh seudos on Shmini atzeres?

So according to this calculation you need at least 28, plus whatever you use for erev YK, plus any extras you need for lechem mishna.

My family does not do shalosh seudos when yom tov falls out on shabbos. That is not a given.

happy7

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 2:00 pm
Why don’t you just make a lot of individual size challahs for your family? Or smaller size challahs so you don’t have “roll over”

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 2:06 pm
I want to point out that just because you (may) need to wash and bench erev/Motzi YK, does not mean you need a lechem mishna or even a whole challah. You can use a bagel or even half a loaf of sliced bread.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 4:28 pm
Count two for each seuda. Take a challah out of the freezer for lechem mishna.
One each for before and after YK and one for hoshana rabba.
Use rolls or similar for shaloshudes.
You could even designate one as the "other" challah. Use it for challah kugel or breadcrumbs after Tishrei.
So count by twosand add 4.

corolla

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 4:40 pm
fatso gal wrote:
My family does not do shalosh seudos when yom tov falls out on shabbos. That is not a given.

We don't wash for Shalosh Seudos period, which is why I didn't include it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads