Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Child refuses to go for help (therapy)
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 1:37 am
OP where are you located?
Where did you go for a neuropsych?

asking because if located in the tristate area I can make some good recommendations.

I have seen in my practice (don’t want to say what type publicly) numerous times where ADHD, ASD, NVLD, and some types of language learning problems were missed. Not all neuropsych evals - even if they cost $6000 - are created equal.

Just from your post, I see pragmatic language issues, black and white thinking, poor self awareness, and emotional dysregulation.
This is not just low grade anxiety.
The psychologist possibly missed the boat.
Before dragging your son there for therapy, why don’t you make sure you’re not missing a diagnosis - maybe a different type of therapy would serve him better?

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
Can you explain how the group works? Are they able to focus on individual situations? Or it's giving over tools for this approach the way some parenting classes are geared toward groups?

The facilitators taught the method. Then we were all able to discuss how to use it in real life with real scenarios.

The Associated Talmud Torahs in Chicago organizes these groups during the year some are on Zoom and some are in person. They have a website with contact info, if anyone wants to call and ask them if non Chicagoans can do it also, they are super nice.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:53 pm
That's an amazing resource! Thank you for sharing!

Mocha you are exactly on target. I'm not sure how you picked that all up from a few posts when so many professionals I've gone to can't help me. We've been to multiple (private) OT's, SLP who specializes in social and communication, and this latest eval (NYU). I keep spending money but left with a kid to whom I still can't explain that we need to try this (he resisted all of them due to reasons I stated above).
I'm open to hearing anything you have to say, the only problem is I am running out of funds for this!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:57 pm
I just remembered that we actually went to a different psychologist also when the school insisted and she couldn't either explain anything to my child when asked straight out "why am I here, why do I need this?."
She also was not helpful with recommendations. She knew I was on the (long) waiting list for NYU and said we should wait to hear what they have to say.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:43 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
OP where are you located?
Where did you go for a neuropsych?

asking because if located in the tristate area I can make some good recommendations.

I have seen in my practice (don’t want to say what type publicly) numerous times where ADHD, ASD, NVLD, and some types of language learning problems were missed. Not all neuropsych evals - even if they cost $6000 - are created equal.

Just from your post, I see pragmatic language issues, black and white thinking, poor self awareness, and emotional dysregulation.
This is not just low grade anxiety.
The psychologist possibly missed the boat.
Before dragging your son there for therapy, why don’t you make sure you’re not missing a diagnosis - maybe a different type of therapy would serve him better?

You said this so well. Also what I saw between the lines but I didn't know how to phrase it.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:09 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

I set him up with a older man to be his " big brother". This is someone that he loves and really looks up to and that has worked amazingly. This guy is very good with kids and can speak to da about anything. Then we speak to him. I have eot set up that he takes him out once a week from school and takes him out for lunch.

I second this.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children