Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Important to know before hosting?
Previous  1  2  3

Gt

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 9:20 pm
Frequent hostess to To other people’s guests here.
Yes that is strange that they didn’t mention the baby.
I have learned that I always ask how many adults , kids , and ages of kids. I explain that I want everyone to be comfortable so I’m asking so I can prepare accordingly.
Tizku l’mitzvot

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:43 pm
I co sleep and every time I'm sleeping at someone's house they're always asking multiple times if perhaps this one night I'd like to try a pack n play or crib. Like they can't wrap their heads around it. No, we won't be experimenting tonight in this foreign smelling place a new sleeping arrangement for my four month old. Thank you.

I hate these conversations.

tzipis

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:54 pm
Reminds me of the time that we got put up somewhere for my bil's aufruf. A neighbor had taken it on herself to help my mil find houses for her guests. I guess this is how the miscommunication happened. When we pulled up with our 3 kids to the house, our hostess told us "welcome, but no one told us you have kids"! Was awkward for all of us, but she was so gracious and right away began preparing more linen. On our part, we made it clear to her that my kids will gladly sleep on the floor.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:31 pm
tzipis wrote:
Reminds me of the time that we got put up somewhere for my bil's aufruf. A neighbor had taken it on herself to help my mil find houses for her guests. I guess this is how the miscommunication happened. When we pulled up with our 3 kids to the house, our hostess told us "welcome, but no one told us you have kids"! Was awkward for all of us, but she was so gracious and right away began preparing more linen. On our part, we made it clear to her that my kids will gladly sleep on the floor.

I once had the opposite. I was told I am hosting a couple with 3 kids. I made up the beds and cribs and set up my kitchen with cereal and cookies and drinks and plastic ware to be easy access. When they came, it was with one infant. They had decided last minute not to bring their other kids. It was annoying but I guess I’d rather that than be unprepared for guests I didn’t expect.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 1:12 am
I was told I would be having a family of 6 staying at my house. I prepared three rooms for them. Close to Shabbos 10 people came , only one spoke English. I ran around close to Shabbos getting air mattress, sleeping bag , rummaging my linen closet for more sets of clean linen , taking pillows from my beds (in clean pillowcases ) etc. for them. the guests insisted it was no problem , the extra four would squish in, share beds etc . Maybe it was no problem for them , but it was certainly uncomfortable and stress for me. I tried to be dlk. But it wasn’t an easy half hour right before Shabbos for me.

Einikel

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 2:08 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I co sleep and every time I'm sleeping at someone's house they're always asking multiple times if perhaps this one night I'd like to try a pack n play or crib. Like they can't wrap their heads around it. No, we won't be experimenting tonight in this foreign smelling place a new sleeping arrangement for my four month old. Thank you.

I hate these conversations.

Just take the crib and don’t use it. They’ll never know.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 2:19 am
alwayssmiling wrote:
I asked my friend, turns out they forgot to tell her that they're bringing the baby. Oh well, it's another funny guest room story to laugh about.

Wait what? They forgot to tell her?

Is this expected? Whenever I go to family simchas, I never tell them I’m bringing my baby-I assume this is obvious. if someone is putting me up, I do ask them if I should bring a pack n play. But I never thought to tell them when we accept the invitation that I’m bringing him.

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 2:40 am
I've been hosting for years and never had this. So strange and I'd be really upset.
I do not own a pack n play but I gladly borrow when it's required.

My guest room is also off my playroom so I always ask the ages of rhe kids who are coming because I have to let my kids know to put away anything that could be ruined, like a half finished puzzle or small Legos.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 3:37 am
amother Bone wrote:

Is this expected? Whenever I go to family simchas, I never tell them I’m bringing my baby-I assume this is obvious. if someone is putting me up, I do ask them if I should bring a pack n play. But I never thought to tell them when we accept the invitation that I’m bringing him.
Well you should. To you it's obvious you bring your baby. How do you expect others to know your have one? AFAIK most people don't read thoughts.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 8:02 am
amother Bone wrote:

Is this expected? Whenever I go to family simchas, I never tell them I’m bringing my baby-I assume this is obvious.

It isn't. Not everyone travels everywhere with a baby. Some people count on leaving their kiddies with parents or inlaws when they go places.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 3:30 pm
Did she ask for the pack n play? I cosleep and don't need anything else when travelling. I've disassembled pack n plays that were in our room.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 3:32 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Did she ask for the pack n play? I cosleep and don't need anything else when travelling. I've disassembled pack n plays that were in our room.

She sure did. Don't think I would have been this disappointed had she not asked.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette