Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me Feed my Nine Month Old

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 4:36 am
I am at a loss of what to feed my baby.
So far we do oatmeal, cholent, chicken/veg from the soup ground in food processor, baby jars, puffs, banana.

I feel like I am starving him though. He doesnt have too many bottles a day (usually will have 4 oz of formula at a time only a couple times a day)

What are some other easy, soft, healthy things I can feed him? Tried avacado, gefilte fish.. he wasnt a fan.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:06 am
You're not starving him.

Still I get the feeling...

Try quiche or scrambled eggs, whole wheat bread, potatoes

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:07 am
amother OP wrote:
So far we do oatmeal, cholent, chicken/veg from the soup ground in food processor, baby jars, puffs, banana.

I feel like I am starving him though. He doesnt have too many bottles a day (usually will have 4 oz of formula at a time only a couple times a day)

What are some other easy, soft, healthy things I can feed him? Tried avacado, gefilte fish.. he wasnt a fan.

Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Different veggie soups
Apple sauce/compote

Sebastian

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:33 am
He may need more bottles. 4 oz a couple of times a day is not enough for a 9 mo old. Food at 9 mo is for fun, his main nutrition should be formula or breast milk.

It sounds like you are feeding him enough solids

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:34 am
Download the solid starts app. You can feed him most foods as long as they’re cooked/cut in a safe way. The app has a search tool you can use to lookup how specific foods can be given safely.

Here’s an example of some of the info they have in mango:

SG18

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:23 am
Yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, any fruits/vegetables cut appropriately (as stated above)

westchestermom

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:34 am
Mushy beans! Soft pasta with chickpeas, garlic and oil, refried beans mixed with avocado, rice and beans with cheese, baby oatmeal mixed with leftover fat and broth from cooking meat, meatballs, meatloaf

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:48 am
Hijacking the thread a little- my baby is the same age, and barely eats solids.
He doesn't go for pureed stuff and oatmeal. He doesn't hate it, but will eat 3-6 spoons, tops. (He's never finished even half a jar in a full day.)
He doesn't usually like beans- I try, he'll eat maybe 3 beans total.
Even bread, he'll eat a bite or 2.
He sometimes eats chicken, but maybe the equivalent of one adult bite total before he's done. (That's when he eats well)
He basically only likes things that he can hold and bite.
He likes Snack food like bamba, rice cakes
He loves Watermelon, likes roasted sweet potato "fries", but will be done after 3 pcs, and half of each doesn't get eaten.
I offer him things we're eating. Broccoli, zucchini, potatoes, rice, kugel, bread w pb, he will eat a bite or 2 if I'm lucky and is done.
He's not my 1st, but I haven't had this before. (He's a happy baby, so I know he's not starving.)
Any other ideas??

naomi2

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:14 am
Can you sit him on your lap when you are eating and he may reach for your food and want to eat with you, so to speak.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:19 am
Toast sticks with almond butter
oats an egg and bananas mashed tog pray a Corelle plate put mixture in and microwave into a pancake-cut into sticks
Canned beans smooshed
Whole milk Yogurt

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:23 am
OP your baby needs (much) more formula.

Regarding food: give him literally anything you eat

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:38 am
naomi2 wrote:
Can you sit him on your lap when you are eating and he may reach for your food and want to eat with you, so to speak.

I do that, too. He wants what I have so he can smash it and throw it. If he does eat from it, it's not more than 2 bites.
What's interesting, is that when I give him things to eat, he is sometimes really enthusiastic at first, but within a minute he gets so angry at the food. I just gave him a piece of bread. He took a big bite, spit it out, and threw it down. Then he took the rest of that slice, made an angry face and started ripping it apart, seemingly frustrated.
He also throws food for fun, but sometimes he gets really angry at the food.
He will yell at his food with the same tone and expression as he does when someone has a toy he wants.

Shoshana Rose

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:54 am
don't mush cooked soft vegeatebles, many enjoy texture.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:03 am
At that age, it's mostly formula. My baby was eating a jar of oatmeal and fruit mixed with a second jar of fruit, meatballs, and a final jar of veggies each day. The rest was bottles.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:30 am
amother OP wrote:

He should be having more formula and bottles. The main nutrition comes from formula before a year. Speak to your pediatrician as to how much formula he should have. He should also have 3 meals a day of solids and also 2 snacks. Think whatever you eat. It’s important that you have iron in his diet as that’s one of the main reasons why they push for solids between 6-12 months. By the time your baby is 12 months old he should be eating all foods 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. ( Obviously not choking hazard foods such as nuts and hot dogs). He should also have a easy way to drink water throughout the day.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:34 am
I found my kids liked real food. As low as it's easy to chew. 6 oz bottles if taking formula.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:47 am
My baby took 7 oz bottles 4 or 5 times a day as a nine month old. They do go through phases when they’re sick or teething that they don’t want to drink formula but you should be pushing it as much as possible until your baby is one. It’s important for the baby to get all the nutrients in formula until they turn one, they’re growing and developing so rapidly.

Solid food at nine months should just be for practice so they learn there skills well enough to eat well after age one when they’re not given formula.

My formula can indicates what amount of oz the baby needs based on their weight. Check yours.

mig100

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:57 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Hijacking the thread a little- my baby is the same age, and barely eats solids.
He doesn't go for pureed stuff and oatmeal. He doesn't hate it, but will eat 3-6 spoons, tops. (He's never finished even half a jar in a full day.)
He doesn't usually like beans- I try, he'll eat maybe 3 beans total.
Even bread, he'll eat a bite or 2.
He sometimes eats chicken, but maybe the equivalent of one adult bite total before he's done. (That's when he eats well)
He basically only likes things that he can hold and bite.
He likes Snack food like bamba, rice cakes
He loves Watermelon, likes roasted sweet potato "fries", but will be done after 3 pcs, and half of each doesn't get eaten.
I offer him things we're eating. Broccoli, zucchini, potatoes, rice, kugel, bread w pb, he will eat a bite or 2 if I'm lucky and is done.
He's not my 1st, but I haven't had this before. (He's a happy baby, so I know he's not starving.)
Any other ideas??

I would not worry. I have had babies who were the best eaters once they started eating. It sometimes took them a while to get used to food. They just wanted to play with it and grab my spoon.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:06 pm
Your job is to offer food and your child gets to choose how much to eat. You don’t need to worry about how much. A couple of spoons of food is normal. Babies don’t need to eat that much. Even toddlers don’t need to eat that much. Unless your baby seems lethargic or your doctor is concerned you don’t need to worry about how much they eat.
I offer normal food as well as hummus, yogurt, cheese, oatmeal and chia pudding at this age
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics