Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why are landlords getting away with ILLEGAL FORCED raises?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:37 pm
amother Silver wrote:
As I stated, if it is illegal, then fight it with the appropriate proof since the landlord can't evict if they are attempting to raise rent illegally.

However, there are rental units that are NOT subject to rent control so anyone needs to consult with an expert to make sure they know exactly what their rights are.

And as an aside the rent that a landlord can charge has nothing to do with their costs - it is solely a function of fair market value for rents as well as what the legal limits our in terms of rent control.

Why should someone be penalized because they bought their property years ago. It is still an "asset" and an investment. They could sell the property at a profit and invest in something else.
And then logically since the new owner paid a lot more for the same property, that owner would be "entitled" to charge more.

That result is illogical if based on the "cost" of the investment or how wealthy a landlord is.

Supposedly Westgate is exempt from rent control

Sebastian

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:40 pm
If the owner lives in the unit, he can raise as he likes. Its 5 percent otherwise.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:45 pm
Sebastian wrote:
If the owner lives in the unit, he can raise as he likes. Its 5 percent otherwise.

Its a building. Owner does not live here

Sebastian

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
Its a building. Owner does not live here

Yes the tenants will win here. I dont know what the landlord is thinking. He sounds like a thug

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:47 pm
This article which is an interview with the Mayor of Lakewood was posted above and I suggest people who are dealing with rent increase read it

https://thelakewoodscoop.com/n.....oles/

It is a complicated issue because as well as owner occupied homes being exempt, evidently if a landlord hasn't taken increases every year they can raise them retroactively which is what they might be doing.

Because of COVID some people might not have received an increase for several years.

But again - check with the STEPS organization that the Mayor suggested

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you suggest someone?

Unfortunately I'm not in your state. I wouldn't know.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:54 pm
We all sit here and think that the best way to make money is rental properties and landlords are all rich.

It sounds to me, that landlords can have a huge headache with squatters, damages……. And those who do well are making it off the skin of others taking advantage of them.

Half of me wonders if I should have bought property years ago and half of me is thankful that I didn’t know of such things.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:00 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Supposedly Westgate is exempt from rent control

How would you know they are really exempt?

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:06 pm
I don't know how it works in real life but evidently some buildings in Westgate/Southgate would be exempt from rent control because they are new or newer construction.

You could find out when the original Occupancy was granted in town records

New Construction. Any person, firm, corporation or entity placing on the rental market for the first time after June 25, 1987, or after such a date as required by State law pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq., any newly constructed residential housing space within the Township of Lakewood, and as described pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq., shall be entitled to charge any rental to any tenant that may be obtained by an agreement between the parties, and the unit shall remain exempt from the provisions of this section for seven years from the date of the initial Certificate of Occupancy for the unit or for such a time period as required by State law pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq. However, the landlord shall, during the exempt period, notify all prospective tenants in writing prior to commencement of any tenancy that:
The unit is exempt from rent control pursuant to this section.
The date upon which the exemption terminates.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
It seems like landlords across Lakewood are raising rents much more than is legal. If tenants dont give in , they threaten to evict.

I am not talking about new tenants. Im talking about raising old tenants more than is legal

How is this allowed legally and halachically?

My landlord raised our rent by a little over 50% and when we comp.ained he said he "asked a rov who said its fine"

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:43 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
My landlord raised our rent by a little over 50% and when we comp.ained he said he "asked a rov who said its fine"

Ask him which rav and speak to him!
I can't believe a rav would ok this

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:43 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:

Refuse to pay and take him to Beis din!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:49 pm
Landlord's loans are not the tenants problem. If the landlord couldn't afford to buy the building, maybe they shouldn't be the owners of the building. Often the landlords are the ones driving direct home buyers out of the market to begin with.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:52 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:

what did you do?

it seems like rabonim dont want to get involved with this

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
what did you do?

it seems like rabonim dont want to get involved with this

We just left because we couldn't afford it

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:58 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:

Depending on the laws of where you live you might be able to sue.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:58 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:

Where did you move to? everyplace is expensive and houseing market is not good either

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
People need to be quicker to take landlords to din torah. There’s no such thing as asking a rav who thinks it’s fine to raise rent illegally.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't know how it works in real life but evidently some buildings in Westgate/Southgate would be exempt from rent control because they are new or newer construction.

You could find out when the original Occupancy was granted in town records

New Construction. Any person, firm, corporation or entity placing on the rental market for the first time after June 25, 1987, or after such a date as required by State law pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq., any newly constructed residential housing space within the Township of Lakewood, and as described pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq., shall be entitled to charge any rental to any tenant that may be obtained by an agreement between the parties, and the unit shall remain exempt from the provisions of this section for seven years from the date of the initial Certificate of Occupancy for the unit or for such a time period as required by State law pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq. However, the landlord shall, during the exempt period, notify all prospective tenants in writing prior to commencement of any tenancy that:
The unit is exempt from rent control pursuant to this section.
The date upon which the exemption terminates.

People were trying to take westgate to court. I’m not sure what happened in the end but I haven’t heard anything for a while.

Btw you are allowed to take landlord to court as long as you ask a rav first. Because there is no rent control board. So the court needs to decide if a rent increase is legal or not.

GLUE

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:41 pm
I don't understand there are 10 pages of rentals, how are the rents not going down?

If you read trough them you will see that many basements that say available now are going for less then 1,500.

OP how much are you paying? Can your landlord really get a 25% raise increase? Or is your apartment going to sit on the list for weeks or more.

Prices seem to have some what stabilized, but people are hearing how so and so got x amount and think why not me. Not realizing that the mad rush to get apartments is over and people are being much more picky on what apartment they are taking. This what I am seeing and hearing from renters.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries