Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Solar panels and getting new roof

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:31 pm
Someone mentioned to me that it might be possible to get a grant or something for solar panels and then a new roof is included. Does anyone know details about this or can point me in the direction of who to speak to?

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:34 pm
I don’t really advise solar panels

Whatever you do don’t use Sunrun

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:35 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
I don’t really advise solar panels

Whatever you do don’t use Sunrun

Can you elaborate on why you don’t advise solar panels?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:37 pm
following. What if I need a new roof anyways?

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:37 pm
We did 3 years ago and by so far very happy. We used salesperson Heshy Drew with sunpower

New roof, gutters, and panels. We pay 249 a month for everything.( but we have a big roof so was expensive)

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:42 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
We did 3 years ago and by so far very happy. We used salesperson Heshy Drew with sunpower

New roof, gutters, and panels. We pay 249 a month for everything.( but we have a big roof so was expensive)

And the 249 a month is forever? How does it work?

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don’t have the contract handy right now. But it’s a solar lease over 20 years. Contract renew then and not exactly sure what happens to panels- if it’s switched out or not.

The roof cost is part of the price but gets paid off after certain number of years so price will go down on the monthly amount. But don’t have details right now so can’t give you exact number of months or amount.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

And the cost is proportionate to size roof / amount of panels

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:21 pm
We did this a few months ago. There isn't really a "grant" for the roof, what they mean is that you can roll the cost of a new roof into the solar expense and then when you file your taxes you can get a tax deduction of 30% on the sum total.
We used Goldberg Roofing and Shlomo Lagoviyer (Green Revolution Solar), very happy with them. Lagoviyer is very honest and will explain why your house is or is not a good candidate for solar, rather than just trying to sell you. Also, now that interest rates went up so much he offered his own 36 month interest free financing which is a great value.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:56 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
We did this a few months ago. There isn't really a "grant" for the roof, what they mean is that you can roll the cost of a new roof into the solar expense and then when you file your taxes you can get a tax deduction of 30% on the sum total.
We used Goldberg Roofing and Shlomo Lagoviyer (Green Revolution Solar), very happy with them. Lagoviyer is very honest and will explain why your house is or is not a good candidate for solar, rather than just trying to sell you. Also, now that interest rates went up so much he offered his own 36 month interest free financing which is a great value.

Would you know if he services Monsey?

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:48 pm
amother Azure wrote:
Would you know if he services Monsey?

I really don't know. You can text him and ask 973-610-6352

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:10 pm
You may get a new roof but solar panels will destroy it. They are literally taking your brand new roof and drilling holes into it everywhere. I’ve had such headaches with the damage caused by my solar installation and literally every single person I know has the same issues at some point.

As far as solar leases: stay away. If you are going to do it at least buy them. Standard solar leases are 20 years, cannot be canceled for anything. If the house is sold, you still are stuck with the lease unless you have the new owners take it over. Even death doesn’t stop the of the lease. And most often you can’t even buy out the lease.

My lease with sunrun gave me one point to buy it out at the 5 year anniversary, for triple the fair market value. With zero financing options. And since then I couldn’t buy them even if I wanted to, they don’t let.

The worst part is they get worse as time goes on. Towards the end of the lease they’ll be pretty worthless and I’ll still be paying a monthly fee (which inflates each year).

Just do yourself a favor a look at solar panel Reddit groups before making any decisions, because you’re very stuck once you do it. Also be sure that it actually even makes sense for you to begin with- my electric bill isn’t even high to start with because all of my home appliances are gas. I really only use electricity for lightbulbs, but the previous owners still got suckered into doing a solar lease..

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:24 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
You may get a new roof but solar panels will destroy it. They are literally taking your brand new roof and drilling holes into it everywhere. I’ve had such headaches with the damage caused by my solar installation and literally every single person I know has the same issues at some point.

As far as solar leases: stay away. If you are going to do it at least buy them. Standard solar leases are 20 years, cannot be canceled for anything. If the house is sold, you still are stuck with the lease unless you have the new owners take it over. Even death doesn’t stop the of the lease. And most often you can’t even buy out the lease.

My lease with sunrun gave me one point to buy it out at the 5 year anniversary, for triple the fair market value. With zero financing options. And since then I couldn’t buy them even if I wanted to, they don’t let.

The worst part is they get worse as time goes on. Towards the end of the lease they’ll be pretty worthless and I’ll still be paying a monthly fee (which inflates each year).

Just do yourself a favor a look at solar panel Reddit groups before making any decisions, because you’re very stuck once you do it. Also be sure that it actually even makes sense for you to begin with- my electric bill isn’t even high to start with because all of my home appliances are gas. I really only use electricity for lightbulbs, but the previous owners still got suckered into doing a solar lease..

Right, I don't think a lease is worth it at all. And an honest solar installer should communicate that, not just try to sell you a system. As far as the roof, my solar installer committed to a 15 year warranty on the roof, which is better than the 10 year warranty on the roof. If you are just leasing, tho, not sure if you get the warranty.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:06 pm
I used powerlutions to do the solar with a new roof. I was very happy with the results. The salesman told me there are a couple of ways how to do it... speak to the company.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries