Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why are landlords getting away with ILLEGAL FORCED raises?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 2:45 pm
GLUE wrote:
I don't understand there are 10 pages of rentals, how are the rents not going down?

If you read trough them you will see that many basements that say available now are going for less then 1,500.

OP how much are you paying? Can your landlord really get a 25% raise increase? Or is your apartment going to sit on the list for weeks or more.

Prices seem to have some what stabilized, but people are hearing how so and so got x amount and think why not me. Not realizing that the mad rush to get apartments is over and people are being much more picky on what apartment they are taking. This what I am seeing and hearing from renters.
It depends on the location. Apartments in Westgate are sitting empty and it serves them right.

cnc

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Bone wrote:
Contact 311. They will guide you.

311 is for NYC.
Apparently OP lives in NJ.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:30 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
It depends on the location. Apartments in Westgate are sitting empty and it serves them right.

If there are lots of vacant apartments and the rent reflects the vacancy rate, then the market is operating as it should in terms of determining price for those apartments.

If OP or anyone is faced with a rent increase, they need to determine exactly how much the law permits their rent to be raised and then speak to the landlord.

Just because a landlord makes a threat, it doesn't mean they can carry through with the threat.

If the rent increase is legal - for whatever reason - then the tenant should attempt to negotiate with the landlord as many landlords prefer to have a good tenant in their unit for a bit less money.

BaltoMom65

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
It seems like landlords across Lakewood are raising rents much more than is legal. If tenants dont give in , they threaten to evict.

I am not talking about new tenants. Im talking about raising old tenants more than is legal

How is this allowed legally and halachically?
If this is true, go to Legal Aid

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in a builidng and they want to raise me 25% after 2 years. Legal increase is 5% . source https://ecode360.com/35458779

Landlord said everyone is doing it. If I dont sign the illegal contract they will evict me. Who can I cantact

If you read further in the ecode you will see that owner occupied units are allowed an unlimited increase as are newly constructed building for up to 30 years after they are built. Additionally much of the township rent control laws hinge on a rent control board that has since been disbanded. Essentially most landlords in Lakewood are allowed an unlimited rent increase as long as there is nothing in the lease indicating otherwise. This is the way most of Lakewoods Rabbonim have been ruling as well although they do typically urge the parties to try to compromise.

There are several technicalities that many landlords aren’t careful with and those can sometimes be grounds to limit the rent increase to 5% which is why you may want to consult an attorney, but the general answer is that landlords in Lakewood are raising rents by a large amount because they are legally and halachicly entitled to.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:12 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't know how it works in real life but evidently some buildings in Westgate/Southgate would be exempt from rent control because they are new or newer construction.

You could find out when the original Occupancy was granted in town records

New Construction. Any person, firm, corporation or entity placing on the rental market for the first time after June 25, 1987, or after such a date as required by State law pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq., any newly constructed residential housing space within the Township of Lakewood, and as described pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq., shall be entitled to charge any rental to any tenant that may be obtained by an agreement between the parties, and the unit shall remain exempt from the provisions of this section for seven years from the date of the initial Certificate of Occupancy for the unit or for such a time period as required by State law pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2A:42-84.1 et seq. However, the landlord shall, during the exempt period, notify all prospective tenants in writing prior to commencement of any tenancy that:
The unit is exempt from rent control pursuant to this section.
The date upon which the exemption terminates.

Westgate is raising everyone about 10%. My building is about 15 years old. They are not following the rent control laws. And nothing happened with the attempt to sue Westgate over it.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 6:32 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
My landlord can afford not to raise, I know his lifestyle
Utilities are separate

That part is not your business. Who cares if he has a lot of money. It shouldn’t factor into a raise or not. The question is whether the raise is reasonable. In your case it does not seem to be. But he certainly is allowed to raise you a reasonable amount, despite the fact that you know his lifestyle.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:05 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Westgate is raising everyone about 10%. My building is about 15 years old. They are not following the rent control laws. And nothing happened with the attempt to sue Westgate over it.
As soon as BMG does their construction WG will empty out. Good riddance to them. I hope it was worth it.

GLUE

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:29 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
As soon as BMG does their construction WG will empty out. Good riddance to them. I hope it was worth it.

BMG apartments are not cheap

mig100

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 12:05 am
Chayalle wrote:
Raising the rent for a tenant (within legal and halachic means) should be directly related to the cost of maintenance of the dwelling, and has NOTHING to do with what the landlord can or cannot afford, and what his lifestyle is.

He's not running a tzedakah/affordable housing organization.

Where are we asking for affordable housing?

Only expecting within legal limits

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 8:32 am
GLUE wrote:
BMG apartments are not cheap
They will probably charge similar to westgate. And much better location and management. You can live with just 1 car in yeshiva area so that’s already a savings.

mig100

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 10:41 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
They will probably charge similar to westgate. And much better location and management. You can live with just 1 car in yeshiva area so that’s already a savings.

right.

tweety1

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 4:19 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
Am I for real about which point?
Did my landlord do something wrong by raising by 10percent after 1year?
We haven't had any repairs done at all

Do you pay for water? Do you have an idea how much water costs? Summer months the water bills are alot higher. Come on. You have no idea what owning a house entails.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries