Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hidden biblical girl names
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 8:31 pm
The most hidden name I can think of is Shoshanna. She was not included in sefer Daniel and the story was hidden in the apocrypha, without the kedusah of 24 books of tanach.

BatZion

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:27 am
Just popping in to say that if you're based in Israel, I'm not sure it's wise to use Serach (in my perhaps immature eyes, too close to the Hebrew word for smelly [Masriach] and I'm pretty sure little kids would make that connection...) or Chulda - she may have been a prophetess but in modern Hebrew that's a mole (the animal)...

salt

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:32 am
ThisMom wrote:
Do you know of any non-obvious biblical girl names that are not written outright but chazal teach us are other names for people in tanach. For example - Ayelet is another name for Esther. Tuviya & Avigdor (and more) were other names for Moshe.

Do you know any more GIRL names like this? We are trying to stick to biblical names for our daughter but we don’t really connect with any of the obvious biblical names.

There are obscure biblical names even though they are explicit, like the names of the mothers of the neviim, eg.
Chamutal

see this list for example.
https://he.wikisource.org/wiki.....D7%9D

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 12:40 am
I’m finding this thread fascinating!

Thanks for all the knowledge.

My name is Chaya, where is it used as a name in Tanach?

MyUsername

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:21 am
Tsruya was the mother of Yoav and Avishai and Asael. Mentioned outright in Navi.

Aviya was the mother of one of the kings, mentioned only in divrei hayamim.

Look in the book Ishei HaTanach, it lists everyone in Tanach mentioned in the Gemara or midrash and gives alternate names for them if they exist, with sources.

MyUsername

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:22 am
Rappel wrote:
Razili

I know someone named Razili, never knew where it was from! What is the source?

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:25 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
The most hidden name I can think of is Shoshanna. She was not included in sefer Daniel and the story was hidden in the apocrypha, without the kedusah of 24 books of tanach.

Not sure this story is considered hidden, or even of Jewish origin.

If you want a more 'Jewish connection' to this name, Shoshana is the same gematria as Esther. Otherwise it is not used as a name in Tanach but rather as a 'description' of Bnei Yisroel.

MyUsername

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:31 am
ThisMom wrote:
Do you know of any non-obvious biblical girl names that are not written outright but chazal teach us are other names for people in tanach. For example - Ayelet is another name for Esther. Tuviya & Avigdor (and more) were other names for Moshe.

Do you know any more GIRL names like this? We are trying to stick to biblical names for our daughter but we don’t really connect with any of the obvious biblical names.

What is the source for Ayelet being Esther?

Osah/Otah was the wife of Levi (אותה) - source is Paaneach Raza Pinchas citing midrash

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:34 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Atara (עֲטָרָ֑ה) is another name from Divrei Hayamim, the wife of Yerachmeel, one of Yehuda’s descendants.

Avital, Avigayil and Chagit were all wives of David HaMelech (also Batsheva, Michal, Maacha, Achinoam and Eglah… some names get put in the regular circulation and some just don’t!)

I believe Atara was wicked.

On a similar note, I know someone named Atalya, who was also wicked in Tanach (their rav okayed it).

MyUsername

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:35 am
There are also wives of Lemech, named Ada and Tzila.

salt

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:43 am
amother Blonde wrote:
I believe Atara was wicked.

On a similar note, I know someone named Atalya, who was also wicked in Tanach (their rav okayed it).

Are you sure she's named עתליה and not טליה?

Two VERY different names.

MyUsername

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:47 am
Miriam had several names:
Puah
Azuva
Efrat
Acharchel
Yeriot
Chelah
Naara
Tzochar/Tzohar
(From Ishei HaTanach)

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:49 am
salt wrote:
Are you sure she's named עתליה and not טליה?

Two VERY different names.

Yes, she was עתליה. They loved the name and consulted a rav. They didn't name her after the wicked queen in Tanach, they just used the name itself.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 3:43 am
[quote="MyUsername"]Tsruya was the mother of Yoav and Avishai and Asael. Mentioned outright in Navi.

She was also David Hamelech's sister.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:02 am
[quote="amother Acacia"]Not sure this story is considered hidden, or even of Jewish origin.

It is included in the Jewish apocrypha (the Jewish Annotated Apocrypha reviewed in the yunews a few years ago only includes the apocrypha attributed to the Jews.) But since it is biblical era but not biblical with the kedusha of torah, I agree that Shoshanna does not fit the brief.

Orange42

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:07 am
Amitai was Yonah’s father…
Hidden story is that they believe Yonah was the boy that was saved by Eliyahu

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:10 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Yes, she was עתליה. They loved the name and consulted a rav. They didn't name her after the wicked queen in Tanach, they just used the name itself.

That is very interesting that a rav would okay a name so associated with pure evil. I once met a non Jewish man who said his daughter's name was Jezebel. A biblical name I thought no Jewish person who had read navi would ever use. But after this post, who knows?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:15 am
We named my daughter Moriya, after HarHamoriya, but also for the meaning: mori-ka, God is my teacher. Mor is also one of the spices of the ketores.

I also know a Levona, named for another one of the spices of the Ketores.

Orange42

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:19 am
I would have expected levona to be full a full moon or something.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:24 am
Orange42 wrote:
I would have expected levona to be full a full moon or something.

Levona with a cholom is a spice
Levana with a kometz is a new moon
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names