Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meatball recipe for YT, non tomato based

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 3:36 pm
Looking for an appetizer kind of meatball recipe.
I make for dinners with tomato sauce but I want a different type. I've had at peoples homes but I dont know what they used.
Bonus if it's basic ingredients and not too hard.
Thank you!

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 3:56 pm
You can sub beef instead of chicken

Chicken Meatballs in Tropical Sauce

Excerpt From: Dena G. Price - The Everything Kosher Slow Cooker Cookbook

This is a festive appetizer for a party! Serve leftovers with hot cooked rice for a quick and easy meal.

INGREDIENTS | SERVES 15

Nonstick spray

Sauce

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, minced
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup pineapple juice
1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1⁄4 cup teriyaki sauce
1⁄4 cup ponzu sauce
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cups frozen pineapple chunks

Meatballs

2 pounds ground chicken breast
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1⁄4 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced

Spray the inside of 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick spray.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a 3- or 4-quart saucepan. When hot, add the onion, jalapeño, and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the pineapple juice, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, and ponzu sauce. Mix the lime juice together with the cornstarch and whisk into the sauce. Stir in the pineapple chunks and bring the sauce to a boil.

While sauce is heating, mix the chicken, ground ginger, bread crumbs, egg, minced onion, and garlic together in a large bowl. Form the mixture into 1" balls and place in prepared cooker. Pour sauce over meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 4–6 hours or until meatballs are no longer pink in the center.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 3:58 pm
This is tomato based but isn't what I would call the standard tomato sauce.

Make all beef instead of half lamb

The pomegranate makes it especially suitable for RH

POMEGRANATE MOLASSES MEATBALLS

Excerpt From: Leah Koenig - Modern Jewish Cooking: Recipes & Customs for Today's Kitchen

Growing up, when my mom used to serve meatballs simmered in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce at holiday dinners, I always figured she was borrowing a recipe from the Italian playbook. I later learned that simmered meatballs are an important part of Eastern European Jewish cuisine as well. Old-world cooks would add mouth-puckering flavor to their sauce with sour salt (citric acid crystals), which was more readily available than fresh lemons. In America, Jewish home cooks started pouring canned cranberry sauce into the mix—a brilliantly simple way of incorporating tart and sweet flavor in one go. My recipe goes a slightly different route, incorporating a touch of Middle Eastern essence with the addition of tangy pomegranate molasses. It can be found in specialty food stores, or see page 342 for an online source.

SERVES 4 TO 6

FOR THE SAUCE

2 TBSP VEGETABLE OIL
1 MEDIUM YELLOW ONION, FINELY CHOPPED
ONE 15-OZ/430-G CAN TOMATO SAUCE
1/2 CUP/120 ML WATER
1 TBSP POMEGRANATE MOLASSES
1/3 CUP/65 G PACKED LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
KOSHER SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER

FOR THE MEATBALLS

1 LB/455 G GROUND BEEF
1 LB/455 G GROUND LAMB
1 MEDIUM YELLOW ONION, PEELED
1 EGG, LIGHTLY BEATEN
1/2 CUP/55 G PLAIN BREAD CRUMBS
11/2 TSP KOSHER SALT
1/2 TSP FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER

1. Make the sauce: Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, pomegranate molasses, brown sugar, and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.

2. Make the meatballs: Combine the beef and lamb in a large bowl and blend with your hands. Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater and squeeze dry with your hands, discarding the liquid. Add the onion, egg, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix to combine.

“3. Place the Dutch oven back over medium heat and let the sauce come to a gentle simmer. Meanwhile, form the meat mixture into golf ball–size balls (about 11/2 in/4 cm) and gently nestle in the sauce. (It’s okay if they do not all fit in one layer at first; they will shrink as they cook.) Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer the meatballs, rotating halfway through to make sure both sides get fully covered in the sauce, until cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve the meatballs hot with the sauce spooned over the top.

NOTE
These meatballs have a wonderful lamby flavor. If that’s not your thing, use all beef instead of half beef and half lamb.

If possible, make this dish a day before you need it, for richer flavor. Chill in the refrigerator and skim off the excess fat with a spoon. Warm in a 300°F/150°C oven until bubbling.”

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:26 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....03243

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....16342

Or serve mushroom sauce over baked meatballs.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 4:30 pm
I have a great Asian style meatball recipe that is always very tasty . Will find the recipe and will type it up for you soon.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 5:17 pm
Here you go;

2 lbs lean ground beef
(I like to mix regular with chicken-beef mix)
2 eggs
1 carrot coarsely shredded
1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped (I use frozen cubes )
1/2 sweet onion
1/2 sweet red pepper
1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs (I like seasoned)
Salt and pepper

Directions :
1. In a large bowl mix meat , veggies, parsley add the eggs and season with salt and pepper
2. Incorporate and mix breadcrumbs into mixture
3. 3. Form into medium sized balls or any size you like.
4. Arrange on baking dish
5. Bake 35 for an hour

Sauce:
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 Cup vinegar
1 tsp cornstarch

In a small sauce pan bring water to a boil .
Add brown sugar and cook 2 min. Add vinegar and cook 2 min more.
Add dissolved cornstarch , soy sauce and salt. Stir until sauce thickens about 8 minutes .

Then dip each baked meatball into sauce or just pour over .

****I realized as I was typing it up that the sauce has vinegar . If you don’t use vinegar , then don’t make this sauce , and you can mix oil, soy sauce , garlic and honey and use that as sauce or use Mikees tiryaki sauce .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics