Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Who builds the sukah in your family?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:19 pm
Growing up and now being married, it was always a family affair. Everyone helped build the sukah and put the schach up.
It was always such fun.

What about you? Who builds it?

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:25 pm
I never had one growing up (we went to our synagogue's) but my husband and I both do it now. I wouldn't say it's fun exactly, but I like doing it together and feel proud when we get it up.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:26 pm
We hire kids.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:27 pm
Dh does all the big or heavy parts, our sukkah is partially made from wood. It is also pretty high, so he climbs the ladder and I pass him the palm branches and tree branches which we use as s'chach. Afterwards, I decorate it inside together with the children and put table and chairs up. Dh brings the beds in - he and the kids sleep in the sukkah. I don't.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:28 pm
We all do it together.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 4:46 pm
Building it was a family affair. My father refused to use any metal in the construction of the sukkah, and it was all held together by dowling rods, so it was a fairly complicated process.

Depending on the year, we either had a great time doing it together, or everyone else was doing it wrong (wrong being defined as anyone having a different opinion as to how to do it) and we would end the day with no one speaking to anyone else.

Either way, it created good memories!

Once it was up, my father was the only one allowed to place the schach. It was all cut off various trees in the garden, which either needed pruning or got pruned anyway. Often fruit was still attached, so afterwards I could arrange that to hang through and decorate the roof.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:16 pm
Dh and the kids. I have no interest in building a sukkah.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:19 pm
DH and the boys build and I decorate with the kids who are interested

hodeez

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:20 pm
Husband and I . I help the kids hang the decorations

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:21 pm
Me with the help of my kids, or a builder if I can get one. DH can barely change a lightbulb.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:26 pm
My husband puts on the schach (most of it is built year round) my kids decorate

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:39 pm
Dh brings up the beams and s'chach. He builds the frame and he starts putting up the canvas at the high parts. We all get involved in finishing the canvases below. Then dh puts on the s'chach and lights and ties everything down. The kids decorate it.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:07 pm
We all help dh does the building and I decorate kids help along so special my favorite yontif loved it growing up and now. BH

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:14 pm
My oldest is eight. DH and I put together the walls then when he goes up on the ladder to do the support beams and schach the kids will be the ones to hand him stuff. He’ll let the eight year old go up on the ladder for a few things.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 22 2023, 9:15 am
Different times, different places, different people. Never my dh though. He’s not very handy. First one, my brother did it, then used the shuls, then workers, and this year my dsil and ds’s. I usually decorate it, sometimes by myself and sometimes with my children and don’t decorate it at all. I’m a minimalist and like it plain.

I forgot, one year, I did it. My parents went to Israel for my brothers bar mitzva and I stayed with my dh and kids by their house, so I built the sukkah. Wasn’t much to do. I mostly stapled fabric to the walls. Don’t remember who put up the schach. That bar mitzva boy is now 32. Smile

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, Sep 23 2023, 1:14 pm
Child of single mom.
My mom hired a handyman to put ours up every year and then we all decorated it.
Now we have a pergola that's up all year round and we all decorate it as a family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics