Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Fear of Collapsing When Fasting! So embarrassed

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:35 pm
I'm a grown woman and bH fast very well. However, I have these intrusive thoughts scaring me that I can feel faint and collapse if I leave my home!! I don't go to shul on yk as a result. I'm embarrassed to tell my kids the truth and come up with different excuses every year as to why I stay home. Id love to go to shul!! Any way to get over this fear?! I'm desperate.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 11:39 pm
I don't go to shul on Yom Kippur. I barely get out of bed. My kids know that I don't fast well. It's not a secret in my house.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:03 am
amother Brown wrote:
I don't go to shul on Yom Kippur. I barely get out of bed. My kids know that I don't fast well. It's not a secret in my house.

But I do fast well. I'm just dealing with intrusive thoughts which cause anxiety and then the anxiety makes me feel lightheaded.

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:17 am
What if you sit the whole time?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:29 am
amother OP wrote:
But I do fast well. I'm just dealing with intrusive thoughts which cause anxiety and then the anxiety makes me feel lightheaded.

Im glad to know im not the only one. I do go for kol nidrei. Today I didnt go at all even though dd wanted I should go with her. She took my youngest to shul so really I had no "excuse " not to go.

I used to go for mussaf but one year had a panic attack and stopped going. I tell my family I fast better at home.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 12:47 am
You should speak to a therapist about this. My guess is with some exposures it can be easily resolved.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:02 am
Is this you?
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....11016

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:13 am
Have you considered meds for anxiety/ ocd?

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:34 am
Do you have intrusive thoughts anywhere else in your life? Have you ever fainted before?
Maybe see a therapist about this since it sounds like it is impacting your YK and your kids.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:41 am
Hey omg have the sameee! I get crazy anxiety and panic attacks when I’m home Friday night alone, when dh goes pray. And also when dh sleeps already and I can’t fall asleep I get palpitations and have attacks. Any suggestions????

Wow glad this came up 🫶

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:04 am
Do you have this only one day a year? If so, I
I don’t know if it’s worth the time and expense for you to get a therapist. It might be . But it sounds like you would like to go. What if you went with a friend who could look after you?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:31 am
You should take something like a low dose of Zoloft for anxiety.
My guess is that you suffer from anxiety in other areas too.
This actually happened to me that I started fainting in shul on Yom Kippur twice. One time it happened just as I started saying shemona esrei of neila. As everyone stood with intense kavanah, I broke out in a sweat and was about to faint. I had to a collapse into my chair even though it made a racket while the shul was silent. I felt very nauseous. I sat in my chair until I felt strong enough to walk home (about an hour or more). I went back to shul the next year and it happened again the last few minutes of the fast. I keep going because I figure if I’m sitting down I probably won’t faint. The only times I stayed home was when I was 9 months pregnant on Yom Kippur. (Happened twice)
It’s not holding me back from going to shul.
Since you really want to be in shul you should speak to a professional about this issue and possibly starting medication.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 4:49 am
I was once newly-pregnant and after walking in the heat and getting up straight away for Amidah I blacked out in front of the whole shul. Oh well.

Kaparah Avonot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur