Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Foundation for dry skin? Can I hope for a smooth look?

Tindle

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:42 pm
Hi,

I keep posting in this forum - thank you for being patient and helping out a newbie to skincare and makeup! (I so wish I had gotten involved in this when I was younger....)

I'm in my late, late 30's and have dry skin. I find that no matter what foundation I apply, I get a cakey, crinkly look. I've used MAC, Clinique and Estee Lauder. I recently started putting on primer and moiusturizer on underneath, but hasn't helped much. Is there anyway that I can get that smooth look that I see so many other women with, or I should just forget it? I'd love to have a smooth, natural look but perhaps that's just not going to be? I also don't want a very heavy makeup look.
I recently bought the Estee Lauder. The woman helping me at the store asked if I wanted a natural or radiant look. I automatically said "natural" because I don't like the heavy makeup look but maybe I was wrong? I should've asked her what the difference is, but I didn't.

Thank you!!

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:49 pm
Natural vs radiant is the finish. Radiant is a more "shiny" look (sometimes called dewy), while natural is less so (matte would be the least shiny finish.)

I'm a lot younger than you, but I would think a cc cream or tinted moisturizer (depending on coverage level you're looking for) might work better in your situation.

Tindle

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:57 pm
Thank you for explaining - - Will a radiant look, "shiny", look unnatural? I don't have the right words for it, but you know how sometimes women look like their face is "wet" - not wet, really, but in a shiny kind of way?

Also, what does "cc" stand for in a "cc cream"? Can you recommend one that isn't so expensive, so I could try it out without spending a lot of money? What would it need to say - how can I tell that it's the "radiant" and not matte?

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:04 pm
Usually radiant would be better for dry skin. "Glowy" foundations would be best.

And using moisturizer daily and nightly on a regular basis would probably help your dry skin overall.

Personally I have very oily skin and Estee lauder double wear works VERY well for me. So I imagine it wouldn't work well for dry skin. I have used Mac liquid foundation too and that was very similar to Estee lauder.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:09 pm
Before you try switching foundations, you need to make sure your skin care routine is correct. It will make a huge difference in the way your makeup looks on your skin. You need to be exfoliating well before you moisturize. The moisturizer is much more effective that way. Do not use drying cleansers. I also mix moisturizer or moisturizing serum into my foundation before I put it on.
I’m in my mid thirties and have very dry skin.

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:12 pm
Tindle wrote:
Thank you for explaining - - Will a radiant look, "shiny", look unnatural? I don't have the right words for it, but you know how sometimes women look like their face is "wet" - not wet, really, but in a shiny kind of way?

Also, what does "cc" stand for in a "cc cream"? Can you recommend one that isn't so expensive, so I could try it out without spending a lot of money? What would it need to say - how can I tell that it's the "radiant" and not matte?

I do think a more radiant finish could be right for you.

Depending on the product and application it can sometimes look unnatural (could be those women are also wearing highlighter or other products that add shine).

Products will usually state the finish somewhere.

I believe cc stands for color correction.

IT Cosmetics is a popular cc cream, but it's pricy. I do see that the travel size (seems to be only available in a few colors as opposed to the whole shade range) is on sale at Target.

https://www.target.com/p/it-co.....79882

Make sure you're moisturizing well day and night.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:14 pm
I have dry skin and I wear the loreal hyaluronic acid tinted serum. It's a beautiful finish and my skin feels baby soft when it's on.
It's not full coverage though so I use concealer wherever it's needed

Tindle

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:14 pm
Ok, got it!

So iyH will look for a foundation that says "glowy" - I really appreciate the tip.

Is it weird that when I've been to department stores or places like that, that they always gave me foundations that seem like they're for oily skin - because the foundations that you mentioned are the ones that I have! The MAC liquid foundation, the double wear from Estee Lauder, etc...

Maybe they saw that I was an easy, uneducated target and just tried to sell me something expensive?? Oh well, it worked....

Tindle

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:25 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
Before you try switching foundations, you need to make sure your skin care routine is correct. It will make a huge difference in the way your makeup looks on your skin. You need to be exfoliating well before you moisturize. The moisturizer is much more effective that way. Do not use drying cleansers. I also mix moisturizer or moisturizing serum into my foundation before I put it on.
I’m in my mid thirties and have very dry skin.

Thank you! I thought that I shouldn't exfoliate too often? That it's not good for the skin to over due it on exfoliating?

My skincare routine is like this:

Night - Every other night, ROC retinol cream and moisturizer on top (I wash my face in the shower with whatever I have, I never really put too much thought into my facial wash/cleanser because I didn't think it would matter so much since it's on my face for so short. Perhaps I'm wrong!??!?!?)

On the alternating nights, I've been putting on the Estee Lauder ANR serum, with Estee Lauder revitalizing supreme cream and eye cream

Day - Cleanse (again, same idea as night), Kleem Vitamin C serum, moisturizer and SPF

What do you use to exfoliate? What would be a dry cleanser? Do you exfoliate morning and night?

I like the idea of mixing in the serum with the foundation! Does that help give a smoother look instead of matte? Sounds like a great hack!

Tindle

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:28 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
I have dry skin and I wear the loreal hyaluronic acid tinted serum. It's a beautiful finish and my skin feels baby soft when it's on.

Thank you for the idea! Also, I appreciate that you suggested a specific product. For someone like me, new to all of this, it's SO overwhelming! I live aborad, but when I was visiting the States in the summer, I bought a bunch of expensive products and now I feel like I need to redo it again!

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 3:35 pm
Tindle wrote:
Thank you! I thought that I shouldn't exfoliate too often? That it's not good for the skin to over due it on exfoliating?

Night - Every other night, ROC retinol cream and moisturizer on top (I wash my face in the shower with whatever I have, I never really put too much thought into my facial wash/cleanser because I didn't think it would matter so much since it's on my face for so short. Perhaps I'm wrong!??!?!?)

On the alternating nights, I've been putting on the Estee Lauder ANR serum, with Estee Lauder revitalizing supreme cream and eye cream

Day - Cleanse (again, same idea as night), Kleem Vitamin C serum, moisturizer and SPF

What do you use to exfoliate? What would be a dry cleanser? Do you exfoliate morning and night?

I like the idea of mixing in the serum with the foundation! Does that help give a smoother look instead of matte? Sounds like a great hack!

Exfoliation can be irritating if done wrong. Try using the first aid beauty radiance pads at night after cleansing. I find them to be very gentle, I actually use the Dr Dennis Gross pads because I need something stronger but they are pricey. For a gentle cleanser that you can get at the drug store, try cerave.
I would stay away from any matte foundation.

Tindle

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:16 am
amother Starflower wrote:

Hi, I just bought this serum today. I usually put on my vitamin C serum first and then moisturizer and then SPF and only then my foundation.
When do you apply this serum (loreal h.a. tinted serum)? As your foundation, meaning after SPF? I thought that anything that's a serum goes on the skin first. But this is tinted, so wouldn't I want it after I put on SPF - but then how will it be effective?

Sorry for so many questions!! I just want to get this right..... Thank you!

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:28 am
Tindle wrote:
Hi, I just bought this serum today. I usually put on my vitamin C serum first and then moisturizer and then SPF and only then my foundation.
When do you apply this serum (loreal h.a. tinted serum)? As your foundation, meaning after SPF? I thought that anything that's a serum goes on the skin first. But this is tinted, so wouldn't I want it after I put on SPF - but then how will it be effective?

I also have (very) dry skin and found foundations to be cakey or too heavy. I switched to the loreal infallible fresh wear and I love it. Its light but offers full coverage and stays on for a long time.

I also make sure to moisturize minimum twice a day, and that makes a big difference too.

Tindle

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:37 am
amother Honey wrote:
I also have (very) dry skin and found foundations to be cakey or too heavy. I switched to the loreal infallible fresh wear and I love it. Its light but offers full coverage and stays on for a long time.

I also make sure to moisturize minimum twice a day, and that makes a big difference too.

Thank you for the suggestion! I googled it - it comes in a liquid and powder, I assume you use the liquid? What moisturizer do you use? You put it on under the Loreal Frresh Wear?

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:45 am
Tindle wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion! I googled it - it comes in a liquid and powder, I assume you use the liquid? What moisturizer do you use? You put it on under the Loreal Frresh Wear?

I actually use both -liquid and powder. I always use the liquid, and sometimes set it in with the powder (just a dab of powder because it is drying). The powder gives it that really smooth look. But if my skin is really dry, I skip the powder.

I use the loreal revitalift moisturizers. I have very sensitive skin and have reactions to many products. Loreal products work well for my skin, so I stick to them. I put the moisturizers first, let it sit for about 5 min, then I proceed with the foundation.

Also - I make sure I'm well hydrated. I find that if I don't drink enough water, my face is the first place I feel it in.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:54 am
I had the dryest skin and could not wear makeup without it being super flaky. But I recently had a family wedding so I really worked on my skincare and really love the results so far

Every morning and night, I wash my face twice with Kiehls facial cleanser. Then I use Drunk Elephant hydrating serum and Kiehls toner, and then I finish off with the Kiehls moisturizer

The makeup I used for the wedding worked great for me, I did the same routine as above and then used
Milk hydro grip primer
Chanel water fresh tint (super moisturizing)
Chanel hydrating foundation (for medium coverage)

I had zero flakes and a fresh face.

Since doing the morning/bedtime routine I have much healthier, smoother skin. It’s been about 2 months

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:00 am
Tindle wrote:

The retinol could be drying your skin out, so maybe see how you go without that.

It cosmetics cc cream is lovely.
Nars sheer glow is good for dry skin but less coverage.

Tindle

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:08 am
Thank you everyone for all of your explanations and suggestions. It's so nice that everyone wants to help and give ideas and tips. I appreciate each response a lot.

Do you ever get overwhelmed with the miliions of options out there for skincare and makeup?? There is so much trial and error to figuring out what works best for you, and every trial and error also means more money spent!

For all of the women responding with dry skin or very dry skin, could it be just the dry skin? I don't know how old you all are, but I'm in my late 30's, my skin isn't smooth and I've always had freckles (which I don't want to cover with foundation - that would mean using way too much makeup and I don't want that heavy look) , which might also prevent having that smooth look that I'm after....is it possible to have that smooth look past a certain age?

shyner

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:33 am
Tindle wrote:
Thank you everyone for all of your explanations and suggestions. It's so nice that everyone wants to help and give ideas and tips. I appreciate each response a lot.

Do you ever get overwhelmed with the miliions of options out there for skincare and makeup?? There is so much trial and error to figuring out what works best for you, and every trial and error also means more money spent!

For all of the women responding with dry skin or very dry skin, could it be just the dry skin? I don't know how old you all are, but I'm in my late 30's, my skin isn't smooth and I've always had freckles (which I don't want to cover with foundation - that would mean using way too much makeup and I don't want that heavy look) , which might also prevent having that smooth look that I'm after....is it possible to have that smooth look past a certain age?

Higher coverage foundations emphasize texture so as you age and have les smooth skin you're better off with lighter and less coverage foundation which look more glowy and radiant.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 10:53 am
Tindle wrote:

This is my am routine:
Cerave hydrating toner
Naturium Vit c serum
Moisturizer with spf (cetaphil or cerave)
Loreal tinted serum on top

Sometimes instead of the loreal serum I use the la roche posay tinted spf which gives a beautiful glow
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics