Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Hard time falling asleep after fast
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:31 am
Ha, I'm in LA, its 3:30 and I'm still up. But since I slept 1 1/2 hours this afternoon and then I took a light coffee right after the fast, I'm really not surprised.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:38 am
I'm ready to give up. Have been awake since 2:30 AM.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:43 am
amother Diamond wrote:
Why did this happen to so many of us??

Someone said it has to do with fasting. My theory is that without food and with mostly sitting all day my body probably thought it was night-time so by the time I ate a meal and started moving around it woke up 😅.

Last edited by groisamomma on Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total

tf

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:43 am
amother Trillium wrote:
What’s the magic potion? I’m breastfeeding and that’s why I felt horrible. Usually I’m fine but when I have a nursing baby it’s disastrous. Tried every trick in the book nothing worked Sad

During a fast, I only nurse when I need it to feel better, otherwise I give bottles.

And yes, starting to eat is worse than the fast. I have to be very careful with what I consume before and after the fast if I want to feel good and sleep well. So this is what I do.
A few days in a row before the fast - drink water with something added for hydration.
The day before the fast - lots of veggies with some protein and only a little starch. I'm sensitive to gluten, so that's a no no before a fast.
Eating after the fast - start with liquid for hydration, 2-3 drinks before any food, then soup (the clearer the better) and then like the day before the fast.
As long as I follow the above protocol, I can feel good enough to function and sleep normally. If I try to cheat, I'm the only one in my family who suffers from headaches, heart palpitations and sleeplessness.

realsilver

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:02 am
fasting depletes natural melatonin levels and raises cortisol levels so your all in good company:)
look it up!

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:05 am
How’s everyone managing?
I only slept for 1.5 hrs BROKEN up and feel gross but I’m trying to walk around with a smile.
I can’t wait for tonight.
This never happened to me before after a fast. I usually feel so exhausted from fasting and go to sleep as soon as it’s over.

scruffy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:09 am
Not managing, slept for three hrs last night Sad

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:19 am
amother Diamond wrote:
How’s everyone managing?
I only slept for 1.5 hrs BROKEN up and feel gross but I’m trying to walk around with a smile.
I can’t wait for tonight.
This never happened to me before after a fast. I usually feel so exhausted from fasting and go to sleep as soon as it’s over.

Literally everything you wrote is me

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:24 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I'm ready to give up. Have been awake since 2:30 AM.

UPDATE: Fell asleep around 6 AM and slept until just before 8, but pretty sure my day is ruined anyway 😫.
Now off to bathe in coffee

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:26 am
I fell asleep after 5, woke up before 8. Now I’m scrolling imamother instead of working. How productive am I?? 🙈

tf

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:30 am
amother Daphne wrote:
I fell asleep after 5, woke up before 8. Now I’m scrolling imamother instead of working. How productive am I?? 🙈

Not necessary to beat yourself up. Doesn't help

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:41 am
amother Diamond wrote:
Why did this happen to so many of us??

Eating late at night wakes you up, the amount you have to drink to feel good will have you needing the bathroom, a lot of people are less active on a fast day, overall not feeling well, many reasons

honeymoon

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:41 am
I usually have no trouble falling asleep but post fast I always toss and turn. We should hope nobody posts anything triggering today with all the tired mamas around here....

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:54 am
So … I slept from 1:30-2:15
And then from 6:30-7:15

My teenage daughter is off from school and wants to know when I can take her shopping.

Very hard day

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 1:58 pm
So... after all that lack of sleep I shopped all day with my teenager and a crying, overtired baby. Just got home to the chaos of erev sukkos and found out I have an event tonight that I have to travel for. Bh bh for simchos.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:39 pm
amother Azure wrote:
I’m still up and my alarm is set for less than 2 hours from now. How will I function? 😥

So I slept 6:20-8:20 BH my husband was able to start the morning routine with the kids, otherwise it would have been just one hour. I am tired but I am fine, I slept alot on YK.

imaamy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:47 pm
Yes! Eating so much so late had me wired. I did finally sleep but the evening was not pleasant.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 2:52 pm
As a teen, I was told it was due to my blood sugar levels getting out of whack... No idea if it's true.

But this is true: one year as a teen, I couldn't fall asleep Thursday night motzei TB and stayed up the whole night, was a counselor Friday, and ended up going into Shabbos with zero sleep. I nodded off at the Shabbos table and a guest "diagnosed" me with narcolepsy. Fun fact: He later was convicted of attempted murder. I think that makes me never forget that story, since I have forgotten many of the strange incidences we had with guests growing up 😄

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 3:04 pm
So I’m also one of the “no sleep motzei people “ and This thread reminds me of 3 years ago post y’k tossing and turning all night and not sleeping. Was looking forward to an early night and as I was getting ready for bed we bseyata deshmaya discovered the rain pouring into our just moved in basement. (Their was a clog in the sump pump which we had no idea about). Anyway the rest of the night had me and my husband in high water shlepping pails out to the street and what not...
Just a memory bh now but a backbreaking exhausting night after a fast day plus a no sleep night...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur