Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Were you able to eat in the sukkah the first night after all
Previous  1  2

Were you able to eat in the sukkah on the first night?
Yes  
 87%  [ 208 ]
No  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 238

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:27 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
You are an amazing person. It's great that you have this strength

I think it helped that it rained friday and shabbos, and today was very warm by me. im due any day and I get hot flashes a lot so I think it contributed to me not being so angry that I didnt have to schlep dishes outside and could stay inside where it was relatively cool.

but, your words really mean a lot thank you

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:46 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
No rain BH
Cleveland

Yes it was beautiful here!

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:51 pm
Dh ate the meal alone in the sukkah Friday night. Everyone else ate inside after kiddush and hamotzei

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:00 pm
I voted that we were able to eat outside, but we actually only had kiddush and hamotzi outside before moving in. I'm in Philadelphia. It didn't rain most of the day here, but it started a bit before YT stated. It was misting during kiddush, then got a bit harder after we washed, so we moved inside. I think the rain stopped shortly after that, and many of my neighbors did stay outside.

BH it was beautiful weather for all the other seudos.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:01 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Nope. Was pouring. Also, my ADHD husband didnt have time to put the shach on. Part of what Im working on in marriage counseling and in therapy for myself is letting go of things that dont effect me. Its not my mitzvah to eat in the sukkah, stinks for him he didnt do it on time. He made kiddush in shul ate a kazayis benched then came home and we ate inside.

Hes now fixing the sukkah so it will be good for chol hamoed. Its ok, I think I would be more upset if this was a mitzvah that effected me. But I really worked on myself not to open my mouth and be PA to him

Wow, I admire you for your self-control. I wish I could do that, step back when it doesn't affect me. Maybe someday.

It was drippy the first night but we ate outside anyway. Everyone had a heavy napkin to wipe drips and we kept our challah covered. My one complainer was sick and slept through it so that helped.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:19 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Just curious, if it rained it would mean Hashem didn’t love you?

No, not in the slightest bit. But it would have made us sad. Hashem always loves us. When I said look how much Hashem loves us, I just meant look at how he orchestrated things, so that even when many of us thought we wouldn’t be able to eat in the succah, in the end we were.

NechaMom

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:48 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Gorgeous weather in Baltimore for the first 2 days of YomTov!

But our sukkah blew over the previous Shabbos when the the tropical storm came through. Some of the metal pipes forming the sukkah frame actually bent. Our neighbors helped us put it back together.

My husband David called it the "sukkah of David hanofeles." Smile

Hope it’s okay that this made me laugh! LOL
At least your husband still found some humor in the situation!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:53 pm
BH beautiful comfortable weather in Detroit! Thank You HaShem!

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:14 am
Curious whats the difference between eating in a sukkah with a shlock and eating inside
Also for people that dont hold you need to eat haetz, haadama, or shehakol in a sukka what do the men do during the meal for pasta or lokshen kugel?

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:34 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Curious whats the difference between eating in a sukkah with a shlock and eating inside
Also for people that dont hold you need to eat haetz, haadama, or shehakol in a sukka what do the men do during the meal for pasta or lokshen kugel?

Pasta is mezonos. It needs to be eaten in the sukkah.
I know people who refrain from eating mezonos at all on sukkos because there's a Machlokes if one needs to make a Leishiv on these foods.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:39 am
amother Salmon wrote:

Don’t know about others, but for my husband, if the shlock (I learned that word after I got married) is down, then it’s the same as eating inside. If you can’t see the sky, you don’t get the mitzvah of eating in the succah.
I can’t answer you other question, because my husband eats and drinks everything in the succah.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:40 am
We eat in the Sukkah even if it's raining, but BH it was gorgeous weather so far! Our big issue was mosquitoes and bees.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics