Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
American driving in England
Previous  1  2

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:11 am
I’m English, but live in the US. I often rent a car in london, but I will tell you, when I’m tired and have just landed after a long flight it’s not that easy. I can’t imagine trying to figure out where to go, and the roundabouts, and exits.. to someone who isn’t familiar with the roads, I wouldn’t suggest it, especially at night when it’s going to be even harder to figure out.
Also, there are automatic cars for rent, but keep in mind the majority of the cars at the rental places are manual, So if you do it, please specify. (Unless you drive manual?)
Thirdly, maybe call the heimish car service places and ask if they have any women drivers available…

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:23 am
My sibling lives in a left lane driving country and my parents in a right lane nation. My father and my sibling both drive in both countries but my mother and my in-law do not drive in the visiting countries as neither feels comfortable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:55 am
piz1 wrote:
I was in England recently and used a lady driver from the airport by the name of Nurit 07957 460448

Thank you!

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:58 am
We've done it in South Africa with DH driving and me navigating. "Make a right turn, remember that's the hard one here..."
If you don't have a second pair of eyes to remind you I wouldn't do it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 10:18 am
Thank you to all who responded. I decided I will not be driving in London (on this trip). I really appreciate that someone posted a number of a lady taxi driver on this thread. I also asked directly, on another thread I posted, for phone numbers of lady taxi drivers and I appreciate all who responded with info on that thread as well.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:31 pm
DH was almost hit by car as he was looking toward the wrong direction. Take an Uber.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
Best tip I ever got, as an American in UK.....
The driver always needs to be in the middle of the road. IE: not curbside
In USA and UK.
If you get momentarily confused, just make sure you are in the middle

Hey are you me?!

I had trouble too until someone told me this! I wonder if I know you Wink

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you to all who responded. I decided I will not be driving in London (on this trip). I really appreciate that someone posted a number of a lady taxi driver on this thread. I also asked directly, on another thread I posted, for phone numbers of lady taxi drivers and I appreciate all who responded with info on that thread as well.

Whether you're driving or not, don't forget that whenever you cross the road, the cars will be going from the opposite direction to what you expect. Make sure yo really pay attention to the road before you cross.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 2:40 pm
Enjoy 🇬🇧
I miss it! 🌎

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 3:00 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Whether you're driving or not, don't forget that whenever you cross the road, the cars will be going from the opposite direction to what you expect. Make sure yo really pay attention to the road before you cross.

👍Thanks

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Enjoy 🇬🇧
I miss it! 🌎

Thanks!
I'll have you in mind so you'll miss it a bit less Wink

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 3:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
I'll have you in mind so you'll miss it a bit less Wink

Thanks Smile

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 4:36 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
We've done it in South Africa with DH driving and me navigating. "Make a right turn, remember that's the hard one here..."
If you don't have a second pair of eyes to remind you I wouldn't do it.

Roads are way less busy and wider in South Africa. I grew up in NY and live in SA, it's much harder when I'm back in NY. Many visitors rent cars from the airport in South Africa . My best tip - follow the car in front of you!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries