Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I became chassidish AMA
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:22 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Can you summarize what being chassidish means for you? I'm trying to reignite my own spark. I was born chassidish, and struggle to remain so.

For myself it’s a beautiful, warm way to live by the Torah

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:23 am
Did you try looking into other sects first? (like chabad, yeshivish MO etc)

Are there things you are resentful about the chassidish community?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:29 am
amother Teal wrote:
What is the purpose/ reasoning for shaving?

I don’t want there to ever be a shaila when I go to mikvah if there were knots in my hair, on shabbos when it’s scorching hot outside I NEED to wash myself with cold water and having no hair means that I won’t be squeezing water out of my hair accidentally, and also when I wear my sheital/tichels no hair will come out of it.

Those are the reasons b’ruchnius, now of course for practicality it’s so much more easier to deal with and I’m very happy with it gone

Dh didn’t ask me to shave it, I did it by myself and for myself

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:31 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Did you try looking into other sects first? (like chabad, yeshivish MO etc)

Are there things you are resentful about the chassidish community?

Yes I did- it didn’t feel right for me and how I viewed yiddishkeit and how it should be applied in my own life

I’d have to say I can’t find anything I resent in the chassidish community. Of course there are things I’m not eager about but I would go so far to say I resent anything

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes I did- it didn’t feel right for me and how I viewed yiddishkeit and how it should be applied in my own life

I’d have to say I can’t find anything I resent in the chassidish community. Of course there are things I’m not eager about but I would go so far to say I resent anything

Ok, so then what are the things you're not eager about?

Do you find the chassidish threads on here upsetting? Do you also think it's really stupid the no driving rule?

Do you have a rebbe?

Is there ever a time you regret choosing this way of life?

How do you look at other chassidim that are feeling unhappy? What would you advise them?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 12:50 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Ok, so then what are the things you're not eager about?

Do you find the chassidish threads on here upsetting? Do you also think it's really stupid the no driving rule?

Do you have a rebbe?

Is there ever a time you regret choosing this way of life?

How do you look at other chassidim that are feeling unhappy? What would you advise them?

1. Yentish culture, people can be very judgmental over insignificant things as well as ask you every. single. little detail about you/your family/where you live/what you do for work/etc.

2. No I don’t find the threads upsetting

3. I wouldn’t say it’s stupid… but I don’t exactly agree with it. I don’t see why women should be forced to sit alone in a car with a non jewish man but its “untznius” to drive themselves. That being said I’m not a rov so maybe I don’t see the full picture of why that rule is implemented… dh wants me to drive and I already do

4. Yes I do

5. Not at all, I’ve never regretted it

6. In my opinion, I can understand why there are chassidim who are unhappy. Not everybody can live happily in probably one of the most strictest interpretations of Halacha. My advice is to get a rov to help them find a balance/derech that works for them
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics