Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Emotional Eating

Starhavah

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:31 pm
I have a friend, age 55, who is dying of breast cancer. Her birthday was Friday. Her family threw her a birthday party today (please do not flame me for attending a B-day party during the 9 days, I did not choose the date and had she not been dying I probably would not have attended, but under the circumstances I did go). I was an emotional wreak. I ate lunch before leaving so I would not be tempted by the food and told myself I could have fruit raw veggies, etc. But it did not last like I said I was a wreak. Eventually, I started noshing. And then I gave myself permission to eat, and eat I did. I have to day, after eating I was feeline much better emotionally. So this is my question. Why do we feel better when we eat? What need is the food filling. Why couldn't I cope before eating and I could while I was eating. How can I find a better way of coping emotionally so that I do not eat like that again?

Help!!

Star Havah

octopus

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:58 pm
I am an emotional eater too. When I get stressed out, I find that somehow I make my way to the kitchen and EAT. The only way I am able to stop it, psychologically, is to follow my diet that I am on.If I were not on it, I would be lost, since I don't know what "normal" is.
I wish I could help you more...but as I'm in the same boat...I really don't have such great advice!

Starhavah

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:02 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I wish I could help you more...but as I'm in the same boat...I really don't have such great advice!

It is nice to know I am not alone though. Very Happy

Star Havah

tovasmom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 8:01 pm
If you are eating to calm yourself, the WW method is to find some alternate thing to do to calm yourself. Exercise, reading a good book, taking a bath, anything else to calm yourself. The fact that you realize what you are doing is half the battle. I do alot of stress eating, and for me, if I can't control my urge to eat so well, I at least try to control what it is. For instance, some lowfat popcorn or some watermelon is much better than a whole bag of tortilla chips or a bar of milk chocolate. Don't I know it. Things have been pretty tough for you lately, Havah, haven't they? Just hang in, hopefully things will get better.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:07 pm
Have you ever tried a 12 step program for overeaters? Here in Brookyn we have several, OA, CEA-How and Grey Sheet. I have been very successful with Cea-how. They have a web site cea-how.org. Also somebody here once mentioned SOVEYA but I'm not familair with them. If you've tried them all and are very overwieght then some type of surgery might be a solution for you. Good Luck!!

BusyBeeMommy

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:08 pm
I can relate to you. I am a very emotional eater and I have to deal with this issue every day of my life. I think my issue has a lot to do with upbringing. My family was always very into eating and there was always an abundance of food around with no yardstick to guage how much one eats. I also dont have a very good relationship with my mother and I think that contributes greatly to it. I've heard that if one has psychological issues and is also an emotional eater, when they treat the psychological issue it will help with their eating. I've worked on my relationship with my mom tremendously and I find that I was able to control my eating habits more when things got better. But when I have stress... get out of the way to the fridge!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:56 pm
If people find comfort by eating something then no substitude will help that much. Food just comforts. Period. You can try by eating just a little.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise