Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Going from frugal cooking to cooking enough for many...
Previous  1  2

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 7:25 am
Remind yourself that Hashem gives you money for Shabbos from a separate account that he pays for, you don't pay for shabbos expenses.
Also, work on first serving extra for your family and being ok with it before having guests. It's very uncomfortable to be a guest in a place where minimum or not enough is served. I've been in that situation and as a guest you're either not going to eat so much rather be hungry because it's uncomfortable.
It's ok if it's too hard to have guests, it's not for everyone.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:07 am
amother White wrote:
You’re saying sweet potatoes and salad is supper. And cottage cheese with tomatoes is supper. But isn’t that because in Israel, you’re serving shnitzel and potatoes (or similar), for lunch?

Nope, they're in school for lunch. We only have fleishigs on Shabbat, and Sunday for leftovers. They are BH healthy with legumes+dairy for proteins for 4 days a week.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:22 am
amother Begonia wrote:
Nope, they're in school for lunch. We only have fleishigs on Shabbat, and Sunday for leftovers. They are BH healthy with legumes+dairy for proteins for 4 days a week.

What do they eat for lunch in school?
What does a typical day of meals look like?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 9:24 am
amother Camellia wrote:
Remind yourself that Hashem gives you money for Shabbos from a separate account that he pays for, you don't pay for shabbos expenses.
Also, work on first serving extra for your family and being ok with it before having guests. It's very uncomfortable to be a guest in a place where minimum or not enough is served. I've been in that situation and as a guest you're either not going to eat so much rather be hungry because it's uncomfortable.
It's ok if it's too hard to have guests, it's not for everyone.

If we have guests I always serve more than enough (two main proteins, more sides etc) that's why I'm reluctant to have guests. But it's true, I know that the money for shabbos is meant to separate, it's time to show I believe it.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:00 am
OP, I have had this conflict before, and my husband looked into it.

He said that even though shabbos expenses are a different cheshbon, that has nothing to do with guests.

Obviously if someone is needy or lonely etc and you have them over for shabbos that is a big chessed.

But inviting friends or family - just to enjoy their company - there is no makor that buying extra in order to have them over is included in that idea of shabbos expenses

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:08 am
amother Begonia wrote:

Please share more of what meals look like for your family! I'm in Israel too and these sound like things my kids may eat and I'm forever trying to figure out what to feed them!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics