Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Should I order dd 18 yo Uber at midnight
Previous  1  2

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
She maybe will arrive at an airport not in New York at midnight going to relatives. I will correct the post

If you say which State, maybe you will get better answers.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:45 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
If you say which State, maybe you will get better answers.

Boston

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:49 pm
Can't she hail a cab at the airport?

Or take the T?

amother
Tealblue

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:52 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
Can't she hail a cab at the airport?

Why is that better than uber?

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Boston

Pre-order a cab with a female driver from a cab company. Maybe someone on here from MA can recommend. But there will be lots of authorized taxis at Boston airport so that would be fine too IMHO.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Nov 04 2023, 11:54 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Why is that better than uber?

They are official licensed taxis and have numbers /name of the driver prominently listed. I would have no qualms about using them.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 12:21 am
I agree she should take a cab. Cabs are regulated Ubers are not.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:39 am
Any way relatives can either pick her up or pay anyone frum to pick her up? I wouldn’t be calm with any other plan these days. We don’t know who’s an enemy and a rally attendee!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 4:30 am
amother OP wrote:
What if she comes during the day. Will you feel safe ordering Uber for her?

Normally all this would be fine. But we have stopped using ubers for now. Especially for women alone. Most of the drivers are Mohammad or have similarly sounding names and even the ones that do not, there is just too much hate around at this moment.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 4:59 am
Is it possible to have the relatives arrange to have someone reliable pick her up-even offer to pay someone for the time/trip. I would not be comfortable with my daughter uber-ing (or any random taxi/car service) alone especially in the current climate.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 9:59 am
Honestly, I wouldn't let her go alone, particularly if she doesn't have a phone. I know the Boston area very well and suspect you would have an issue with many of the drivers. As for safety, I had a problem with a driver coming home from Logan airport in Boston when I was 21 (over 35 years ago) and my daughter had a problem when she was 18 (much more recently). My driver was a local Bostonian who asked me very inappropriate questions and I seriously thought about jumping out on the highway. We didn't have phones in those days. I finally asked the driver if he would like someone talking to his daughter and wife the way he was talking to me and thankfully he stopped. My daughter was terrified in her situation and she had a phone. The driver was a young guy (from one of the places most of us would not like) who kept pretending that he was lost and couldn't find her location. He tried to take her to his apartment. We were about to call 911 and she told him that she found the directions on Waze and would tell him how to get there. She ended up getting there, but it was really scary. I didn't even know the half of it until after she arrived because she was afraid to do anything other than text.

scruffy

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:49 pm
I don't know much about Boston, but my guess is there is someone in the community who does airport driving (I've used such a service in various OOT communities). Ask your relatives if they know of any frum people who do it.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
Is it possible to have the relatives arrange to have someone reliable pick her up-even offer to pay someone for the time/trip. I would not be comfortable with my daughter uber-ing (or any random taxi/car service) alone especially in the current climate.

Yes it does seem a bit strange that she is staying with relatives who haven’t arranged for her to be picked up either by them or someone else. Presumably, they will need to stay awake anyway for her arrival! 🤔

mommyhood

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 3:02 pm
At midnight absoloutely not. Aside from the usual girl alone at night safety concerns I’ve had some drivers literally falling asleep when I take them so late. During the day I would be more comfortable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children