Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What does it mean if my house is listed under a trust fund?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
I think I’m listed as the beneficiary

Thinking isn't knowing. Op you should probably find out for sure what's going on so there aren't any surprises later on. And maybe start saving money in your own account.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:29 am
amother Lilac wrote:
Since he bought the house prior to your marriage he wants the profits to go to them
You have to decide whether or not you trust him and whether or not you want to make an issue about it
Only you know your financial situation other assets held jointly etc and your relationship and marriage
Maybe let it go

If she is married so long, shouldnt her name be on the house too?
There is a lot we dont know, like if she had a home before remarrying...what was agreed before they got married regarding the house etc.

We can all agree that she deserves to have security in knowing she will have options should something happen. Just as he does...

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Nov 13 2023, 11:56 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
What in the world are you talking about. Where is she wanting him to cut his kids out of the will or do less by them?? Where are you reading that at all?

I was responding to her opening post- where she wrote " He claims he had to do things this way because he doesn’t think I would be generous with his other kids. He might be right- who knows?? " What does that sound like to you?

She wants to be able to live her lifestyle after he passes. This is a normal desire.

Agree, and healthy, and proper, she SHOULD plan now for that. Even if we dont know who will pass first.

She was with him young enough and long enough to have children with him and she should be "happy for a roof over her head"?

I was being sarcastic....sorry if it wasnt clear, Its surprising to me that if they are together so long, her name wasnt also added to the house. There may be more she isnt telling us.

What are you smoking?

Are you ok? you seen a little aggressive today. Whats going on?

Yes. Today, even in halachik wills, Most peoples wills favor the surviving spouse/parent who may spend down assets as they continue ti live their lifestyle. This leaves less for the yerusha. Thats how it goes. Usually the surviving spouse is also the parent so all is good.
After both parents pass it is split among the kids.

And pi shnayim? Really. Youre harping on this. No body does that in the double inheritance form today.

Its still the Halacha (Torah Ms'Sinai, you have heard of it) and most Rabbanim still recommend it in normal circumstances. To get around it, the items/money/valuables are given to all the children while the parent is still alive and held by the parent - and to fulfill the Torah obligation, a symbolic double inheritance is portioned off - example- a $200 to the eldest and $100 to the other kids.

Op was married youngish to this person. She had children with him. She deseves to feel secure in her old age and not be nervouse that she will be constrained due to the will.....and yes, it may reduce the yerusha to the next dor. Even if they need to wait longer ti fet the yerusha.

100 million percent true.

[I would look differently at this if thd remarriage happened after they raised their children].

It normal for op, and right for op, to feel secure in her old age, and to feel secuere now about that. This should be simple. Her dh should show her the will and trust so she knows whats going on.

OP should, of course, know her husbands will and whats in it and be supportive of his considering his children, also those he had before meeting and marrying her. Since she herself admits that is questionable- she should work that out so he feels comfortable sharing. That may be the reason she is not clear on the whole thing.

If OP hasnt yet written a will, this may be a good opening to the subject. "Hey honey, I think I should write a will in case, you know, something happens unexpectedly, I'm OK but you know they say its a segula. How should I go about it? ....I know I want to make sure our kids are taken care of just in case, and maybe give tzedaka...who can give me advice here? ...
And in the course of things, while taking care of her own business, open up the subject of transparency and knowing what each other wants for the day after - its healthy to know even if it is a touchy subject.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics