Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mostly clean, meaningful, drama type novel suggestions

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 9:56 am
Looking to start post of books enjoyed, with (obviously a non-spoiler) few words about basic subject but this is optional as anyone can simply read description online.

Doesn't need to be "Felheim level" clean, but as cleanish as possible, please consider noting nature of this in description to make it easier for people to use their own discretion.

Please only friendly, non-judgmental comments. This post is not about differences of opinion regarding content & one's discretion preferences, thanks!

I'll start:

Mitch Album - Have a Little Faith
My favorite so far of his books. Thoughtful relationship of author as he develop meaning relationships with 2 clergy leaders, a reform rabbi from the author's youth, & an African American minister serving an extremely poor small community, one of whom is aging & ill.

Ruchama King Fuerman - In The Courtyard of The Kabbalist
Her writing style is so rich & engaging, I become so emotionally attached to characters & very uncharacteristic of me have read this plus the next suggestion by her more than once. Has some intense content re effects of drug use & a few references to violence but its with great purpose & found to be extremely meaningful.

Also her book Seven Blessings -
Love, dating, marriage & matchmakers, def some "pg-13 content" but tasteful & in line with Jewish values of intim/within context of marriage

I didn't love this next book, but I liked it a lot especially how the ending brought it all together. The Rent Collector
Fiction but based partially on real characters.
About a young couple & their young child living, literally, at a garbage dump in Cambodia & how they live & come to find new opportunities, find compassion, seeing the back-story of a challenging situation. Contains some mild violence, & tiny bit of intimacy but pretty much just innuendo.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 10:30 am
Playing with Fire by Tova Mordechai- About a Jewish girl growing up in England as the daughter of a priest who eventually became BT

And Rachel was his wife by Marsi Tabak. About the wife of Rabbi Akiva. One of my favorite books.

Every Man a Slave by Sender Zeyv- A long read but fascinating. About a Jewish man who buys a slave in 1800s America. Explores halachos of having an Eved Canaani.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room