Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Leave tag on if got bris gift from TJ Maxx?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:13 am
I don't buy into the idea that gifts need to be exchangeable. It's a baby outfit, not a diamond or piece of furniture. Be grateful, use or pass on. Op I would keep the company tag & remove the store tag if possible.

I love buying baby clothes on clearance (the nice stuff that are usually out of budget) to gift.

youngmother6

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:37 am
amother Marigold wrote:
Ah hah! Now I know why I never got a thank you for the baby gift I gave someone. It was from TJ Maxx , that I wrapped adorably and put so much effort into . It’s been years and that baby is already 9. But I was always surprised that the very sweet mother never said a word of thanks for it. I never bought her a gift again.

After birth is a really stressful time for new mothers. I didn’t write thank you notes and I lost the list of who gave what since we moved a year later. I hope nobody thinks it’s because I wasn’t grateful. I was just a busy new mother.

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:48 am
amother Marigold wrote:
Ah hah! Now I know why I never got a thank you for the baby gift I gave someone. It was from TJ Maxx , that I wrapped adorably and put so much effort into . It’s been years and that baby is already 9. But I was always surprised that the very sweet mother never said a word of thanks for it. I never bought her a gift again.

The new mother could've easily had something else going on such as PPD. Not saying keep buying gifts but am saying it may have had nothing to do with your gift at all.

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:53 am
Personally, I would think of the recipient. If I had $25 is she more the frum store paci clip type or the 2 outfits from TJ max type?

My SIL had a baby and all of us SILs gifted her with frum store stretchies and a blanket because we knew she'd like it.

For me, they gifted me with a night in a mother/baby hotel and one outfit from kidichic. I LOVED it. I would've thought a bunch of frum outfits are a waste considering my babies live in carters and being able to rest was a big deal and just what I wanted.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:51 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
I run in similar circles.
Why is everyone so nasty?
It's not that we wouldn't appreciate the gift. It's that gifting from tj maxx or discount stores is just not done. I would buy for myself there but I wouldn't gift from there.
Makes sense?
And don't worry I would still send you a thank you card...

“So turned off” means she wouldn’t appreciate it. And no, that doesn’t make sense. Does it make sense that I should buy a birthday present for my kid’s friend from FAO Schwartz, but go to amazing savings for my own kids? What exactly is wrong with getting a gift from TJMaxx or marshals or Burlington?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:53 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
In my circles it wouldnt be gifted. I'm not trying to knock anyone c'v but that's the reality in my social and familial circles.

The. I am happy to not be a part of those circles. Gifts with expectations (such as where they come from) are not gifts that I give.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:56 am
amother Cognac wrote:
Im guessing some of you would be horrified at a baby stretchy or cute outfit from Target, Kohls, JCPENNEY or even WalMart.

That's where I buy most of my baby gifts.
TJMaxx is often not even in my toolbox since it's more mazel.

I’ve been getting most of my baby’s clothes from carters, on Amazon. Often that’s where I get gifts also!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 11:53 am
This is such a funny discussion to me.
I recently had a baby bH and we got a ton of fancy gifts from fancy frum stores thanks to DHs business connections. Think $150+ outfits and designer blankets.
I returned almost everything. We are simple people and bH have all the baby stuff we need from older kids, and I love the comfy zip-up Carters stretchies way more than the fussy fancy ones with complicated snaps. Now I have tons of credit at fancy stores and no clue what to do with it!
We’re so uncomfortable with people spending big money on us. Of course we thanked them very graciously and sent cards!
My favorite gift was a beautiful breakfast that someone sent and when a friend showed up with cinnamon buns and coffee.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:05 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
This is such a funny discussion to me.
I recently had a baby bH and we got a ton of fancy gifts from fancy frum stores thanks to DHs business connections. Think $150+ outfits and designer blankets.
I returned almost everything. We are simple people and bH have all the baby stuff we need from older kids, and I love the comfy zip-up Carters stretchies way more than the fussy fancy ones with complicated snaps. Now I have tons of credit at fancy stores and no clue what to do with it!
We’re so uncomfortable with people spending big money on us. Of course we thanked them very graciously and sent cards!
My favorite gift was a beautiful breakfast that someone sent and when a friend showed up with cinnamon buns and coffee.

Get a bigger items, say a coat for next winter. A nice fuzzy or knit blanket, depending on your taste.
A nice jacket and bonnet for pesach.

Big talker me lol, dh work associate got us a $250 gift by my now 18 month olds birth. I cannot find what to get in that store. I don't even like the weekday outfits for $80+....
I bought older sibling a down coat for $150, using it now the 2nd winter... but I cannot find what to get with rest. I am hoping I'll find something adorable once the spring things come in.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:15 pm
These are stretchies https://elysandco.com/collections/footies
In my circles babies wear stretchies with either snaps down the front or snaps in the back. the ones with the zipper and and snap on the top carters style is ultra nerdy and only for pajamas
Mostly only jewish stores sell stretchies so if I get from a tjmaxx kind of store it feelsnerdy bcz theyre usually not so cute and fit funny

Im not a fancy type I dont even have money but this is what im used to. Everything my baby wears is jewish style even if its passed down from my neighbors baby

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:21 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
These are stretchies https://elysandco.com/collections/footies
In my circles babies wear stretchies with either snaps down the front or snaps in the back. the ones with the zipper and and snap on the top carters style is ultra nerdy and only for pajamas
Mostly only jewish stores sell stretchies so if I get from a tjmaxx kind of store it feelsnerdy bcz theyre usually not so cute and fit funny

Im not a fancy type I dont even have money but this is what im used to. Everything my baby wears is jewish style even if its passed down from my neighbors baby

lol I hate the way the “frum” stretchies fit, they’re too skinny and I hate hate hate the snaps in the back. My newborns don’t care if they are nerdy (and not all of the Carters are nerdy, fyi). They want to be comfortable and I’m not concerned about them making a good first impression LOL

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 12:22 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
Get a bigger items, say a coat for next winter. A nice fuzzy or knit blanket, depending on your taste.
A nice jacket and bonnet for pesach.

Big talker me lol, dh work associate got us a $250 gift by my now 18 month olds birth. I cannot find what to get in that store. I don't even like the weekday outfits for $80+....
I bought older sibling a down coat for $150, using it now the 2nd winter... but I cannot find what to get with rest. I am hoping I'll find something adorable once the spring things come in.

Thanks! Yes I’m considering getting some bigger kid gear or even furniture, or maybe I’ll just shop there for my older kids for the next couple of seasons.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:10 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
lol I hate the way the “frum” stretchies fit, they’re too skinny and I hate hate hate the snaps in the back. My newborns don’t care if they are nerdy (and not all of the Carters are nerdy, fyi). They want to be comfortable and I’m not concerned about them making a good first impression LOL

Every company has a different fit I don't like the super skinny ones either.
Why? I love the snaps in the back when I change her diaper all I have to deal with is 2 or 3 snaps rather than 10

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:19 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Every company has a different fit I don't like the super skinny ones either.
Why? I love the snaps in the back when I change her diaper all I have to deal with is 2 or 3 snaps rather than 10

I don't like having to bend them in half to get their legs back in the outfit, having to flip them over to snap it up, and it seems uncomfortable for babies who are constantly on their backs to have snaps back there.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:21 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Personally, I would think of the recipient. If I had $25 is she more the frum store paci clip type or the 2 outfits from TJ max type?

My SIL had a baby and all of us SILs gifted her with frum store stretchies and a blanket because we knew she'd like it.

For me, they gifted me with a night in a mother/baby hotel and one outfit from kidichic
. I LOVED it. I would've thought a bunch of frum outfits are a waste considering my babies live in carters and being able to rest was a big deal and just what I wanted.

OOC are those equivalent costs?

mandr

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:42 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
“So turned off” means she wouldn’t appreciate it. And no, that doesn’t make sense. Does it make sense that I should buy a birthday present for my kid’s friend from FAO Schwartz, but go to amazing savings for my own kids? What exactly is wrong with getting a gift from TJMaxx or marshals or Burlington?

Well when you get a gift for someone, you try to get something they'd appreciate, not what YOU'D appreciate. Simple as that. If they have clothing standards that aren't like yours you try to find something else.

If my house keeps a gluten free diet, for example, and I am making supper for a friend's family, no, I am not making them a gf meal because that's what's normal in my house.

I'm a little surprised that the posters claiming to be from in-town communities never heard of buying jewish store clothing as baby gifts.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:47 pm
mandr wrote:
Well when you get a gift for someone, you try to get something they'd appreciate, not what YOU'D appreciate. Simple as that. If they have clothing standards that aren't like yours you try to find something else.

If my house keeps a gluten free diet, for example, and I am making supper for a friend's family, no, I am not making them a gf meal because that's what's normal in my house.

I'm a little surprised that the posters claiming to be from in-town communities never heard of buying jewish store clothing as baby gifts.

Clothing standards? Lol, what does that even mean?!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:48 pm
youngmother6 wrote:
After birth is a really stressful time for new mothers. I didn’t write thank you notes and I lost the list of who gave what since we moved a year later. I hope nobody thinks it’s because I wasn’t grateful. I was just a busy new mother.

Agree- anyone that I had their #s was so easy to text them a picture of the baby wearing the new outfit and say "thanks! baby and mommy are enjoying the new outfit from you!"

But some people (my moms friends) I didn't have their numbers, and emotionally after birth was hard for me to figure it all out while my brain was mush.
I asked my mom to pass on my thanks, but no I can't guarantee that it got there

mandr

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Clothing standards? Lol, what does that even mean?!

If you're pretending not to understand, I'll pretend you don't have standards.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 2:52 pm
mandr wrote:

But people who have "standards" shouldn't expect people to hold to them. And be turned off by any gift that came from the right place.

Oh and shouldn't be shocked that they didn't get gifts.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics