Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Questions about Filters

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:45 am
I currently have unfiltered internet access at work (non-Jewish workplace) and unfiltered internet at home. I have a personal computer which stays at home, and my work computer travels back and forth between the two places. I also have an iPhone. My work computer that travels is managed by my workplace (I won't be able to add a filter to it).

I am a teacher and utilize internet both for personal and work legit purposes, but I find that I use Internet often to escape/unwind at home. It's a habit I would like to get out of... I am not sure if a filter would necessarily help but it is one thing I am considering as an aid.

However, I am fearful because I have always always had unrestricted access. (I am divorced so there is no spouse that would be affected.) I had a non-smart phone for a long time, but finally caved because I was tired of the comments about why not have one (from non-frum people). My not getting one did not have to do with frumkeit, I was just a little behind the times. Now that I have one, I feel very dependent upon all the apps that I use on the phone. I don't think it will be possible to switch back.

- Could folks share what filters they use and what they like/dislike about them?

- Are there filters that start with a set range of kosher sites allowed (or non-kosher sites excluded) and then allow you to block and add sites on your own?

- Does anyone who went from unfiltered to filtered have advice about phone vs. computer first? Or did you do so simultaneously?

- Does anyone, perhaps someone not using a filter, have any advice for how you lessen useless time on computer?

Thank you for insight. As it may be relevant, my community is Chabad. (Posting anon for that reason.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 7:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I currently have unfiltered internet access at work (non-Jewish workplace) and unfiltered internet at home. I have a personal computer which stays at home, and my work computer travels back and forth between the two places. I also have an iPhone. My work computer that travels is managed by my workplace (I won't be able to add a filter to it).

I am a teacher and utilize internet both for personal and work legit purposes, but I find that I use Internet often to escape/unwind at home. It's a habit I would like to get out of... I am not sure if a filter would necessarily help but it is one thing I am considering as an aid.

However, I am fearful because I have always always had unrestricted access. (I am divorced so there is no spouse that would be affected.) I had a non-smart phone for a long time, but finally caved because I was tired of the comments about why not have one (from non-frum people). My not getting one did not have to do with frumkeit, I was just a little behind the times. Now that I have one, I feel very dependent upon all the apps that I use on the phone. I don't think it will be possible to switch back.

- Could folks share what filters they use and what they like/dislike about them?

- Are there filters that start with a set range of kosher sites allowed (or non-kosher sites excluded) and then allow you to block and add sites on your own?

- Does anyone who went from unfiltered to filtered have advice about phone vs. computer first? Or did you do so simultaneously?

- Does anyone, perhaps someone not using a filter, have any advice for how you lessen useless time on computer?

Thank you for insight. As it may be relevant, my community is Chabad. (Posting anon for that reason.)

I have Webchaver. It's a great filter. I have fond it to work amazingly well for my devices and I think it fits the description of what you're looking for

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 8:47 pm
I have techloq now- you can customize what categories you allow and what you want to block, if you want youtube etc.
If you want, you can check out non-Jewish parent filters that filter inappropriate content, you can limit how much time you spend on your devices if that's something your interested in...

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Jan 01 2024, 9:02 pm
I have techloq and you can create your own filter settings so works great for my needs
you can always request to update/manage your filter
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics