Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I'm a geek AMA 🤓
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:38 pm
I have many obscure interests and nobody to talk with about them!

Op, what are you reading currently? I’m reading a book on the philosophy of consciousness, a book about 17th century English politics, and a book on a specific form of plant propagation.

Is your house a mess? I find many geeky creative types like me have trouble with housework!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:46 pm
synthy wrote:
You sound a lot like me. I neeed to learn a new genre every so often and obsess over random nerdy stuff to keep my brain from wilting. I think I might be a teeny bit autistic. Do you think that’s true for you too?

I don't think I'm on the spectrum, but who knows? My social skills could use improvement, but on the other hand I am excellent at describing emotional states and experiences. But I don't know enough about special education to be able to say, honestly.
Nice to meet you, fellow geek Salut

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Okay, what's your favorite genre?

may I be a geek here and say, she wanted to geek out about vocabulary (she said latter)? unless there are genres in vocabulary??

ah, finally I can let my inner demon out. I don't like to nitpick here but the geek in me felt justified in this thread.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:53 pm
amother Plum wrote:
I have many obscure interests and nobody to talk with about them!

Op, what are you reading currently? I’m reading a book on the philosophy of consciousness, a book about 17th century English politics, and a book on a specific form of plant propagation.

Is your house a mess? I find many geeky creative types like me have trouble with housework!

Parenting book -- sometimes you have no choice but to read something practical
Historical fiction about the Tower of London
Self help book about motivation -- this one is out of pure desperation

Nothing as intense as your booklist. You sound a lot more intellectual than my current capabilities. I go through phases as far as the amount of nitty gritty I can handle.

Yes to the mess!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:56 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
may I be a geek here and say, she wanted to geek out about vocabulary (she said latter)? unless there are genres in vocabulary??

ah, finally I can let my inner demon out. I don't like to nitpick here but the geek in me felt justified in this thread.

Tongue Out
Mayhap you can enlighten our august public as to the precise method one can employ to conduct a "geeking out" discussion regarding vocabulary?

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
To me, it means something like: deep interest in and extensive knowledge of topics that have little practical bearing on day to day life, that the average person you interact with would not be able to match.

Are you neurodivergent? Because this experience is pretty common with people who are neurodivergent.

It's possible you are also neurotypical. But I get how you feel.

synthy

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:57 pm
Do you just enjoy reading/learning or you also have to try new hobbies/skills?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:58 pm
HP or LOTR?
Mario or Link?
Jane Austen or Charlotte Brontë?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:59 pm
tigerwife wrote:
HP or LOTR?
Mario or Link?
Jane Austen or Charlotte Brontë?

Ugh...both. No, HP. No, both. (Books only)
Not a gamer
Both. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:00 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Are you neurodivergent? Because this experience is pretty common with people who are neurodivergent.

It's possible you are also neurotypical. But I get how you feel.

Neurodivergent sounds about right.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:00 pm
synthy wrote:
You sound a lot like me. I neeed to learn a new genre every so often and obsess over random nerdy stuff to keep my brain from wilting. I think I might be a teeny bit autistic. Do you think that’s true for you too?

Also you can't be a teeny bit autistic. Either you are or you aren't. But I don't want to take over the thread. Feel free to start a spinoff.

I totally get you. Right now my current obsession is watercolors.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:01 pm
synthy wrote:
Do you just enjoy reading/learning or you also have to try new hobbies/skills?

I used to. With more kids came less new hobby-trying. By now, my main hobby is Imamother. Hiding

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Neurodivergent sounds about right.

Sometimes when I go too long without talking to someone relatable like this I really feel like it's so depressing for me.

You should join OLUF (Orthodox Women United in Fandom) on Facebook if you have. I have a strong suspicion most of them are neurodivergent as well. Either way it's very comforting and relatable and fun!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I used to. With more kids came less new hobby-trying. By now, my main hobby is Imamother. Hiding

Haha same. Lately I've been actively making time for hobbies because it's my air but most days I'm too exhausted.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:03 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Sometimes when I go too long without talking to someone relatable like this I really feel like it's so depressing for me.

You should join OLUF (Orthodox Women United in Fandom) on Facebook if you have. I have a strong suspicion most of them are neurodivergent as well. Either way it's very comforting and relatable and fun!

Okay, this is going to bother me all day if I don't ask. What's the L stand for?

ETA it must be Ladies, not Women.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Okay, this is going to bother me all day if I don't ask. What's the L stand for?

Ladies

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:04 pm
amother OP wrote:

ETA it must be Ladies, not Women.

Oh yeah. It's probably ladies 😂 sorry about that. It's bedtime here and I'm exhausted.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:05 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Ladies

Thanks Smile the penny must have dropped in my brain as you were writing your post.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:07 pm
Revisiting the q from page 1: I think my main source of geekery is probably nature and animals. But I'm all over the place, really. One day I will understand my brain, I hope.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:08 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

If you have people in your daily life who are similar to you in this way, you can consider yourself lucky!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics