Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
❗❗Socks in soup! ❗❗
Previous  1  2

Sock in your soup?
Yes, always!  
 19%  [ 6 ]
Oyyyyy, no, was I supposed to?  
 80%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 31

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:37 am
amother Mauve wrote:
Did you grow up eating soup? Did your mother put socks in the soup she lovingly prepared for you?

I never looked inside the pot. Trust me, I wish I had now.

giselle

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:07 am
This reminds me of the thread where the op wrote that she left the diaper on the meat in the Cholent.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:27 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I don’t know what this is supposed to a joke about, but my mother always used to use cheap white or nude nylon knee highs to hold the dill and parsley when she made chicken soup! She even gave me a large package of knee highs upon my marriage for my own soup making.

I was at my mother-in-law’s house as a newlywed and was helping her cook for a big yomtov. I offered to make a big pot of soup and then realized I didn’t have a net/bag/stocking for the herbs. She didn’t have any white/colorless stockings, and gave me a (brand new, of course) navy blue one. Dye is colorfast, right? It shouldn’t make a difference!

Cut to a few hours later, the entire soup is blue. The onions are blue. The boiled chicken is blue. The orange carrots are now a muddy shade of blue. My brothers in law called it Smurf Soup.

It tasted totally normal, I promise!! But no one would eat it besides me 😂

And that is my story of the sock in the soup.

Oh my I also did this once!! In 2 huge catering size pots, meant to last the whole Pesach!

Dark black chicken soup!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:36 am
Seams like I'm the only one who's not using socks. Should I add a poll? Does this fall under minhag hamakom?

scintilla

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:43 am
Socks? A shande. I only use 120 denier tights.

Though I assume this is only relevant if you use chicken legs in your soup, as I do. Gotta keep up those dead chicken tznius standards.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 4:38 pm
I added a poll to help me see if I'm the only one.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:34 pm
Help are you meant to put socks in soup?
Which Yeshiva do I have to sign my kid up to now if I never have put in a sock? I'm yeshivish for refrence.
Can I just lie on the application?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Help are you meant to put socks in soup?
Which Yeshiva do I have to sign my kid up to now if I never have put in a sock? I'm yeshivish for refrence.
Can I just lie on the application?

I never saw it on the application, but I'm pretty sure it will come up with shidduchim.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:43 pm
I noticed my husband's socks seem to slouch a little always. Could this be because I never use socks in my soup?

scintilla

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 5:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I noticed my husband's socks seem to slouch a little always. Could this be because I never use socks in my soup?

Only if they're blue, apparently.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 4:17 am
So my mother was a big cook, famous, seriously. She gets a call on friday asking how to defat a pot of soup quickly so my mother says, strain it over a cheesecloth. She gets a phone call 10 minutes later - you didnt tell me to put a second pot underneath the cheescloth, not my soup went down the drain and all I have is the fat in the cheesecloth Very Happy LOL Very Happy

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 8:07 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I don’t know what this is supposed to a joke about, but my mother always used to use cheap white or nude nylon knee highs to hold the dill and parsley when she made chicken soup! She even gave me a large package of knee highs upon my marriage for my own soup making.

I was at my mother-in-law’s house as a newlywed and was helping her cook for a big yomtov. I offered to make a big pot of soup and then realized I didn’t have a net/bag/stocking for the herbs. She didn’t have any white/colorless stockings, and gave me a (brand new, of course) navy blue one. Dye is colorfast, right? It shouldn’t make a difference!

Cut to a few hours later, the entire soup is blue. The onions are blue. The boiled chicken is blue. The orange carrots are now a muddy shade of blue. My brothers in law called it Smurf Soup.

It tasted totally normal, I promise!! But no one would eat it besides me 😂

And that is my story of the sock in the soup.

Oh my gosh, thanks for the laugh. I haven't laughed like this in three months... blue soup!
Someone I know made blue rolls for Purim years ago, but that was intentional (tasted the same... today I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole)

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 8:09 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
So my mother was a big cook, famous, seriously. She gets a call on friday asking how to defat a pot of soup quickly so my mother says, strain it over a cheesecloth. She gets a phone call 10 minutes later - you didnt tell me to put a second pot underneath the cheescloth, not my soup went down the drain and all I have is the fat in the cheesecloth Very Happy LOL Very Happy

I hope she used a vegan cheesecloth

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 9:16 am
amother Obsidian wrote:

I've made black soup (see my post above)...and also strained my chicken soup straight into the sink. Was rather embarrassed but see I'm not the only one!

Happy to know I'm not the only one.

For some reason both occured with my Pesach cooking when I was making super large quantities. Would love to start a thread of Pesach cooking mishaps...when the time comes!

giselle

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 9:20 am
If you use a sock in your soup, you are socially off and I will definitely not do a shidduch with you.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sat, Jan 13 2024, 4:33 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Not you lol Wink I meant the OP (of this thread) sounds eerily similar to the OP of the other one...

And if you are the same person, I shall give you one more chance to redeem yourself. Do you, or do you not, know Half Arthur?

Oh dear it's late
I sure must rest
Another day
Not on Everest

I browse the web
One site, another
And then I get
To Imamother

What is this thread-
Called "socks in soup"??
I'd never do it,
I'm no dupe!