Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to train them not to just walk into my room
Previous  1  2

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:43 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Do people typically lock the door?
My door is only ever locked while DTD.

I can’t fathom locking my door or having a combination code on the bedroom. We have one to get into the house, but inside? That seems so cold and distant.
Educate and communicate.

I have the code so I can keep meds and other private stuff locked when not home. Most of the time when home the door is open and any one can come in but I do like having a locked room for sensitive items, valuable items that cant be opened with a tooth pick or whatever. Its not cold and distant.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:44 pm
Maybe you shouldn’t expect them to not walk in if you’re sitting there for long amounts of time

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:45 pm
Typically a closed door is a sign to knock. If it’s open my kids would just walk in.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:00 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Maybe you shouldn’t expect them to not walk in if you’re sitting there for long amounts of time

shock
Do you have a video camera in my house?

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:11 am
The best way to teach kids something is to do it for them too. If their door is open or closed, doesn't matter, you knock and ask can I come in. They will automatically do it back for you.
If you want to teach them not to look in other people's drawers, you show them that they have their own drawer and just like you dont look in theirs, they can't look in yours unless they ask first. Kids learn from what they see, not what they hear.
When you cross the street, they're watching you with big eyes. If you cross in between cars, no matter how many times you tell them to cross at the crosswalk,they will still cross in between cars exactly as you crossed.
My point is: you teach by example. You need to knock on their door, they will knock on yours.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I can't. I need to be cognizant of what's going on in the house.

Why is it different if the door is just closed or also locked?!
If you’re not good about teaching them this is a fool proof way

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:27 am
Kids want to be near their mama.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:33 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
The best way to teach kids something is to do it for them too. If their door is open or closed, doesn't matter, you knock and ask can I come in. They will automatically do it back for you.
If you want to teach them not to look in other people's drawers, you show them that they have their own drawer and just like you dont look in theirs, they can't look in yours unless they ask first. Kids learn from what they see, not what they hear.
When you cross the street, they're watching you with big eyes. If you cross in between cars, no matter how many times you tell them to cross at the crosswalk,they will still cross in between cars exactly as you crossed.
My point is: you teach by example. You need to knock on their door, they will knock on yours.

True that you teach by example.
But kids can know that parents room is more sacred than theirs. Parents are entitled to a privacy that kids shouldn't be.
I don't have to teach them that their room is like a master bedroom.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics