Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tantrums.. is this normal??

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 4:50 pm
This is my second kid dd is 14 months and recently started tantruming like crazy .. it could be something as simple as I switch her from standing and holding her to going to my lap because I'm tired.. and she'll lose her mind.
I mean deepthroated screaming and throwing herself backwards and forwards.. rolling around. It's impossible to calm her down
You can tell she loses herself.. my older kid never did this..
Is this normal for a 14 month old or should I be concerned?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 5:37 pm
As a mom of two with autism and sensory processing disorder, there COULD be a problem but it's too early for even a provisional diagnosis. Could just be a SUPER sensitive kiddo. My own kids are teens now but I sub for playgroups. When a kid that age does that, I put him down and give attention to those behaving in a more regulated way so that he can calm himself down (rather than me trying different positions/ strategies to calm him--- that makes it worse with such kids). That's if I know he's fed, napped, and clean. If it's close to naptime, nap him. If it's close to mealtime, feed him. And everyone's favorite first trick to calm a screaming baby--- sniff their butt. Smile

flory42

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 5:42 pm
My kids were also like this when they were very young, extremely high needs and always upset and tantruming for the smallest things. It’s probably just a personality thing but use your instincts if something about the way she’s relating to people doesn’t feel right. If she seems all right then it will probably pass when she’s old enough to regulate herself better at like 2.5.
You can also look out and see if she’s having too much sugar- This can cause extreme mood swings and irritability in babies who are sensitive to the sugar rushes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:32 pm
She is otherwise a very normal baby happy and social... to me it seems that she tantrums when something doesn't go her way or she wants something. I just would have thought she too young for that... Idk
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics