Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lyme, thyroid, oppositional behavior

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 11:48 am
Hi, I hope someone can help me. My 12 yo ds has hypothyroidism, which he takes synthroid for.

A few years ago, he had a lyme infection that was detected early and treated successfully.

He has had behavioral issues for years. Lately, his oppositional behavior has been getting worse and worse. He recently had a violent episode that landed us in the emergency room. He also seems a bit depressed and is having trouble falling asleep and waking up on time. He sleeps a lot over the weekend, and when he's not sleeping, he is usually fighting with his siblings.

I had asked the pediatrician to do bloodwork a month ago, and they told me everything was normal. I had asked for a copy of the results, but I didn't really look at them. I checked them over again now, and I see it says that the IGG for Lyme is positive. Seven markers were reactive.

Is anyone familiar with this? How can I help ds? It seems our pediatrician is not so on top of these things, and I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 11:52 am
https://www.lifeforlyme.org/

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 11:56 am
You need a Lyme literate MD asap. If you post your location we may be able to make a recommendation.

You may find this book helpful too
https://www.amazon.com/Brain-I.....r=8-3

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 11:59 am
amother Khaki wrote:
You need a Lyme literate MD asap. If you post your location we may be able to make a recommendation.

You may find this book helpful too
https://www.amazon.com/Brain-I.....r=8-3

Thanks, I'm in the Monsey area. Is there hope of one who takes insurance?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks, I'm in the Monsey area. Is there hope of one who takes insurance?
Dr Alain Mass treats Lyme but I don't think he takes insurance Sad
Maybe start a new thread or change the title, looking for an llmd in monsey who take insurance, maybe other posters can help.
Also the number above can probably refer you to someone.
Dr. Visconti is in Staten Island, he's an llmd and takes insurance. People are very happy with him.
There's also dr kohanbasch (sp?) At parcare in Williamsburg who treats Lyme and takes insurance.

Good luck! Good for you for trying to connect the dots and get to the root of the issues.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 9:26 am
The pediatrician got back to me and said that the positive is only because he had Lyme in the past. Could that make sense?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 1:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
The pediatrician got back to me and said that the positive is only because he had Lyme in the past. Could that make sense?
He is clearly not Lyme literate. IgG is typically interpreted as past infection, but the newer, better understanding in the Lyme literate world is that it indicates *chronic* infection.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 2:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

Despite what everyone on here will tell you, the official medical answer is that yes, your doctor is right and once someone had Lyme in the past their IgG can/will always test positive indicating a previous infection as opposed to IgM which indicates a recent infection.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 2:48 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Despite what everyone on here will tell you, the official medical answer is that yes, your doctor is right and once someone had Lyme in the past their IgG can/will always test positive indicating a previous infection as opposed to IgM which indicates a recent infection.

That is the current medical mainstream response.

HOWEVER, since OP has other issues with this child that may be either caused by Lymes disease or made worse by Lyme's, I suggest to you OP that you have it checked out by a Lyme literate doctor.

You can contact the organization linked above for information and help, they are amazing.

Dr. Mass in Monsey is the best in this area. He does not take insurance but it is worth it to pay out of pocket to be seen by him.

There is an organization (not Jewish) that gives grants for treatment, contact life for lyme as linked above for information how to apply, etc.

In general, I'm of the belief that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I would not worry about those lab results if your child is fine, but he clearly isn't so I think it's worth exploring this avenue.

If you dont do it, you will always wonder if your child could have been helped...

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 2:51 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Dr Alain Mass treats Lyme but I don't think he takes insurance Sad
Maybe start a new thread or change the title, looking for an llmd in monsey who take insurance, maybe other posters can help.
Also the number above can probably refer you to someone.
Dr. Visconti is in Staten Island, he's an llmd and takes insurance. People are very happy with him.
There's also dr kohanbasch (sp?) At parcare in Williamsburg who treats Lyme and takes insurance.

Good luck! Good for you for trying to connect the dots and get to the root of the issues.

I think it's worth paying for Dr. Mass.

Also there is a grant that you can apply for that may help, contact life for lyme for more info.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics