Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
You're too old for that behavior

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:00 pm
As an example, telling a child at the table, you're too old to use your fingers. You know better than that.

This grates on me. Just remind them to use a fork. Or better yet, give them a look.

Eta. Are these hugs of disagreement?

Tao

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
As an example, telling a child at the table, you're too old to use your fingers. You know better than that.

This grates on me. Just remind them to use a fork. Or better yet, give them a look.

A lot of kids like to be "big" though. Eg telling a child, "You're so big, you don't need a paci anymore! They're for babies! You're big now, like (big brother/sister's name)!" which can help motivate them to stop a behavior, because they want to be big like their siblings. Personally I do this and it definitely works.

naomi2

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:05 pm
I agree. It's a way to shame children into behaving differently and it also bothers me very much. You are right, just tell them what you want them to do instead or give an eye motion towards the napkin or utensil etc. then follow up with a smile, nod, or praise.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:19 pm
Tao wrote:
A lot of kids like to be "big" though. Eg telling a child, "You're so big, you don't need a paci anymore! They're for babies! You're big now, like (big brother/sister's name)!" which can help motivate them to stop a behavior, because they want to be big like their siblings. Personally I do this and it definitely works.

I suppose it could be said in an encouraging way. But I'm referring to it being said in a critical way.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:22 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I agree. It's a way to shame children into behaving differently and it also bothers me very much. You are right, just tell them what you want them to do instead or give an eye motion towards the napkin or utensil etc. then follow up with a smile, nod, or praise.

Yes, shaming, exactly.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:32 pm
I think the lack of shame is what's wrong with current state of the world

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:33 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:

I think there's healthy shame like shame that's written about in the Torah.

I'm not sure this falls under that category.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:48 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:

I hear you. Maybe it depends on the situation. I don't think we need to make a child feel shame for licking her finger during a meal.

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Feb 03 2024, 10:52 pm
There's a difference between shame and shaming.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics