Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Evenflo Shyft Dualride- Review

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 12:20 pm
I haven't seen anyone frum who has one so I wanted to share my experience having it for 2 months.
The Shyft Dualride is the only carseat and stroller combination besides the Doona. It came out I think in January of this year.
Just to note: I never personally owned a Doona but have been around enough to know how they work and what they are like.
Although I used to think of Evenflo as a brand you found cheap at Walmart, they have really upped their game in terms of quality and features in their newer carseats (look up their Revolve360 convertible carseat, for example). Also, Cybex is the same company as Evenflo.
Pros:
-The Shyft Dualride seems more comfortable for baby. There is a lot more padding and the whole carseat is at an incline that seems more natural for a baby than the Doona.
-The sun canopy is way bigger and does a really good blocking out sun. It comes almost to the baby's feet when fully extended. The Doona's sun canopy is almost a bracha l'vatala.
- It comes with a bag you can attach to make a basket of sorts under the carseat when its in stroller mode. It's more similar to a stroller underseat basket than a diaper bag like the Doona. That could be a con if you like using the Doona bag as a diaper bag. So the Shyft Dualride bag/basket is better for dumping things (random snacks or waterbottles at the park, for example). The Doona is better for the organized diaper bag lady Smile
- The Shyft Dualride is approved for use in Canada. Doona's are not legal in Canada since they don't meet their safety regulations. While I live in the US so that shouldn't matter to me, it makes me feel better about the safety since it is approved for use there. According to my research, Canadian carseat crash tests are more rigorous than in the US.
- The carseat base is SUPER easy to install. That is good new especially if you have carpools or times that the seat your carseat is on needs to be used by someone else. It's easy to remove and put back.
- Handlebar is longer than the Doona. Might be good news for taller people who find the Doona too short.
- The carseat can be detached from the wheels. I use this feature when I run to the grocery store. Our store has some shopping carts that have a place to put a carseat. This carseat fits without the wheels. The Doona is too big to fit there. So would the Shyft Dualride with the wheels. (How many women have you seen in stores pushing a shopping cart with one hand and a Doona in the other??)
- Babies don't outgrow the Dualride as fast as they do in the Doona.
-The headrest can be adjusted up and down based on baby's size.
- The chest clip has sensor-safe technology (look it up) that can connect to your smartphone and alert you if the baby overheats or if you are ever too far a distance from the carseat. (see con about Shabbos)

Cons:
- Very heavy! So is the Doona, but I think this one is even a little more.
- There is a big learning curve to folding and opening the wheels. To fold, you need to lift it up and tilt it toward the head of the carseat as opposed to the Doona where you tilt toward the feet of the carseat. PRO TIP: Instead of tilting towards the ground, you can use the floor of your van to push the wheels down.
- The lever to squeeze while you are folding the wheels, is pretty low down. Could be annoying for someone taller. (I'm 5'3)
- To open the wheels, you need to first squeeze one lever to release it from the base, and then a different lever to release the wheels. Its a little awkward. You get used to it with time, but it doesn't seem as seemless at the Doona in this regard.
- The handle bar is a bit wiggly. The Doona feels more solid.
- The whole folding mechanism seems more solidly built in the Doona.
- On a similar note, the Doona has been tried and true for a number of years now often lasting through multiple children. The Dualride is newer so its actual working lifespan is hard to know.
- In my personal opinion, I think the Doona looks sleeker. Dualride is a bit clunkier.
- I have read that Dualrides are too big to fit in some sedans and small SUVs. I have a 2020 Odyssey and it totally fits.
- I don't care at all but for those who do, the Dualride doesn't come in as many colors as the Doona.
- When the Sensor-safe chest clip is buckled, it makes a tiny light turn blue. Huge problem for Shabbos. We just don't clip the chest clip on Shabbos. This reason alone may be a reason not to get it if you plan to use this as your regular baby stroller often on Shabbos. 
- The Dualride is not smooth riding on bumpy surfaces such as uneven concrete. The Doona is also -  not sure how significant the difference is between the two. Note- BOTH the Doona and the Dualride are first and foremost carseats that happen to turn into strollers. NOT strollers that happen to also be carseats. They will not be as smooth of a stroller ride as traditional strollers with air-type wheels and shock absorption. - The Doona and Dualride are the same price around $550. However you can buy a gently used Doona for way cheaper.(I find buying a used carseat unsafe unless I personally know the person selling it). You can't buy used Dualride since they are so new. 
You can decide if it's a pro or con that the Dualride is not common to have (yet). If you need to be like everyone else, the Doona is definitely on trend. If you davka like being different or don't care about being different and like the features of the Dualride it might be a good option for you. (Or if your one of those who just cannot get a Doona because everyone has them and you b’shita can’t join the masses either because of your personality or hashkafa.) 
Final thoughts- I am happy with the Dualride (it was a gift from my husband's boss) so I didn't have much of a choice) and I like all the "pros" especially the comfort, safety, and duration a baby lasts in it before outgrowing it. I think some of the cons will be perfected by Evenflo in future models. However, the fact the folding mechanism seems smoother and more durable in the Doona, and the folding wheels is the whole point of either of these carseeats, I think if I had a choice, I would go with the Doona. I think? I'm still unsure Smile
Hope this helped someone on the market!  Feel free to respond with questions! 

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:07 pm
Just heard about this option, thanks for your in depth review. I'm wondering if any other Imas can weigh in on this?

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:42 pm
The shyft can be used for babies that are three pounds. This would’ve been good for my peanuts!! Doona can only be used for bigger babies. (It’s all relative, small babies run in my family. I think that regular newborns are ginormous and look like one year olds.)
Hopefully the companies will take pros and cons and work with them for future models.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:06 pm
Although my babies tend to be on the small side, 3 lbs is really a preemie and not relevant. The better angle and better safety ratings are really what's pulling me. I could never bring myself to get a Doona despite the major convenience, because of the safety concerns. However I'm curious how this option holds up overall in comparison.
I did read some in depth reviews but nothing like personal experience!

supermommy1

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:31 pm
I have Dual Ride and agree with everything said in the original post. We were gifted it from a relative. I would add that it fits in a full sized sedan- we have a Honda Accord- if the passenger seat is moved forward which may make it uncomfortable for someone sitting in that seat.
It’s super convenient to have a car seat turn into a stroller with the push of a button. Folding it is a bit challenging though-takes more effort than folding a Doona. I guess that’s the price you pay for the added safety.
Yes, I assume no 3 lb babies are allowed out of the hospital! But it definitely has more padding for smaller babies. Mine was 5.12 at birth.
I love the big sun shade!
Can’t say about it’s life span. Have only had it for 3 months. So far so good.
I’m glad Doona has competition! Hopefully more as time goes on making things better and hopefully more affordable too.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:36 pm
Great review. I originally wanted to get the dualride but it was unavailable during target’s car seat sale. Then I read a review that it’s harder to fold than the doona.

I’m very interested in how they’ll improve it. It’s nice that there’s finally an alternative.

And yes, I wanted it just so I didn’t have to buy what everyone else has lol. But I ended up getting the doona anyway and I survived BH Smile

mother to be

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 2:09 pm
Thank you for the great in depth review!!

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 1:55 pm
Thank you OP for your thorough review!

Can anyone else chime in with their experience? I really like what I’m hearing about the Shyft, but I haven’t heard of or seen anyone that has it…

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 1:56 pm
Btw it’s on sale now on the Evenflo website, 20% off

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:02 pm
Any other reviews saw it on sale 150 less than doona interested to hear thoughts

amother
Seablue

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 7:26 am
Bumping up this thread … I know some people use the Doona for a very long time. For those who have the Evenflo Shyft Dualride, do you think it would fit a 12-13 month old? Not sure of their measurements, but wearing size 12m.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 8:10 am
I have one- your baby would probably fit but it’s VERY HEAVY! My son is 7 months old and it’s already getting too heavy to lift into my van. I am planning to switch him to a convertible car seat when the weather warms up and have a compact travel stroller for trips out.
In short: would not recommend.

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 10:14 am
amother Seablue wrote:
Bumping up this thread … I know some people use the Doona for a very long time. For those who have the Evenflo Shyft Dualride, do you think it would fit a 12-13 month old? Not sure of their measurements, but wearing size 12m.

My 14 month old is in it very comfortably.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics