Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
S/O Down Syndrome

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:18 am
Are there communities that bshita give away any newborn baby with DS still in 2024?

Einikel

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:22 am
This comes up every few months. Do a search.

ftm1234

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:25 am
Do a search and you’ll get your answers, plus all the drama I suspect you’re looking for…

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:25 am
Yes. They are following the daas Torah of their communities. Please don’t bash

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:31 am
amother Amber wrote:
Yes. They are following the daas Torah of their communities. Please don’t bash

I heard rumors about it when I was a kid in the 80s, I’m just surprised it’s still a shita 40 years later.

Why just DS vs any other disorder? Or is it all significant medical needs?

Einikel

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:35 am
This should answer your questions
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....30494

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:45 am
Many have those same questions, even within those communities. There is a slow trend changing it with many brave parents raising their own children and creating awareness.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:49 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Many have those same questions, even within those communities. There is a slow trend changing it with many brave parents raising their own children and creating awareness.

It's not a community shita, the rebba advises each family based on their circumstances. Some are advised to raise the child & some are advised that it's best for the family to not raise the child. No one is forced to place their child with a different family. There are also excellent group homes for children with DS, the family goes to visit whenever they like.
This isn't something we can and should judge on. People follow daas torah & we should respect that.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:57 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
It's not a community shita, the rebba advises each family based on their circumstances. Some are advised to raise the child & some are advised that it's best for the family to not raise the child. No one is forced to place their child with a different family. There are also excellent group homes for children with DS, the family goes to visit whenever they like.
This isn't something we can and should judge on. People follow daas torah & we should respect that.

I'm not saying I don't respect it. I left any judgement whatsoever out of my comment. I'm sharing what I know from mothers within those communities. There is a lot of education to be done, especially on resources and abilities of children with down syndrome compared to many years ago when expectations were very minimal. All facts that make a big difference in what may be advised.
Although there may be other options that seem wonderful such as group homes or foster care, there is a lot to it that is heard about behind the scenes and it's not as simple as it appears.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:00 am
amother Aconite wrote:
I'm not saying I don't respect it. I left any judgement whatsoever out of my comment. I'm sharing what I know from mothers within those communities. There is a lot of education to be done, especially on resources and abilities of children with down syndrome compared to many years ago when expectations were very minimal. All facts that make a big difference in what may be advised.
Although there may be other options that seem wonderful such as group homes or foster care, there is a lot to it that is heard about behind the scenes and it's not as simple as it appears.

Those communities which the rebba may advise that families shouldn't raise their children with DS, have the best resources for SN/DS children.
The Rebba is not stupid. Every family is advised according to what's best for their family, every family member & the full picture is taken in to account when making the decision. There's no blanket rule that everyone must give up their children with DS. Every family is advised accordingly.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:15 am
Einikel wrote:
This should answer your questions
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....30494

I read through the whole thing, and now I have a better sense of which communities "give away" babies with DS, but no one gave a really clear answer as to why.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:15 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Those communities which the rebba may advise that families shouldn't raise their children with DS, have the best resources for SN/DS children.
The Rebba is not stupid. Every family is advised according to what's best for their family, every family member & the full picture is taken in to account when making the decision. There's no blanket rule that everyone must give up their children with DS. Every family is advised accordingly.

That's so hard for me to wrap my head around. How can a rebbe, even a wise one, know better than the family itself, what they can handle regarding raising a child?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
That's so hard for me to wrap my head around. How can a rebbe, even a wise one, know better than the family itself, what they can handle regarding raising a child?

The Rebba doesn't "know" better. It's not a decision made in a minute. It's a deep discussion where all angles are discussed, the entire household, the other kids, the circumstances, the parents, especially mothers, energy, mental health.... and according to the many details, a decision is made that's best for the family. It's not a decision made lightly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics