Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What Reflex integration OT?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:34 am
looking in for an ot and this is what someone suggested.
Does it also help with for example colouring and writting?

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 11:57 am
It may, or may not. Some people benefit from reflex integration while for others it's not contributing to any of their difficulties. Definitely be wary of any therapist who uses this with all their clients, or claims that everyone benefits.

Song4eva

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:20 pm
amother Honey wrote:
It may, or may not. Some people benefit from reflex integration while for others it's not contributing to any of their difficulties. Definitely be wary of any therapist who uses this with all their clients, or claims that everyone benefits.

Agreed. Evidenced based practice only

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:33 pm
thanks.
Mind my ignorance but what is it exactly?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:21 pm
I'm an OT that has used reflex integration for a while long before it became a "trend"I find it only effective if combined with sensory integration and core strengthening if necessary. I have seen major major progress with most of my clients. I did send my son to a clinic that only did reflex integration and have not seen any progress. It basically rewires the brain and the bodys natural reactions. Often unintegrated reflexes come along with certain behaviors

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 1:24 pm
Song4eva wrote:
Agreed. Evidenced based practice only

Many OT practices are not evidence based and can still be helpful. Speaking as an OT.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:01 pm
Amazing, experienced therapists. I'm an OT and they are on the mark with all of the components of reflexes and sensory integration. https://handsonapproaches.com/.....ries/

Song4eva

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 3:58 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Many OT practices are not evidence based and can still be helpful. Speaking as an OT.

For example?

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:17 pm
Song4eva wrote:
For example?

Sensody diets, Wilbarger protocol, weighted vests. I’ve see numerous kids helped after implementing each of these.. and many who weren’t helped as well.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:19 pm
There is the masgotova method you can learn from their book. They do varies exercises with the hands such as pulling and finger opening and closings one by one. It can be helpful for some kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers