Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO secular books / series for 10-11 year old girl
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 7:25 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
When I taught 5th grade, I read The Phantom Tollbooth aloud at the end of class when we had time. Everyone enjoyed it, though some kids appreciated it more than others, it’s very very clever if you like wordplay and logic.

My all time favorite!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 8:11 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
What about A Wrinkle in Time? And I believe there is a sequel or two, loved it as a kid though I can't remember all the details

There is strong Christian symbolism, even more blatant than Narnia.
I'm fine with my kids reading both, though.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:33 pm
scruffy wrote:
Lots of good suggestions here, I second Mary Poppins, Paddington, and Betsy Tacy (although you'll want to avoid the books later in the series for a young girl)

Edward Eager books, The Candymakers, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Andrew Clements books, Orphan Train Quartet

Thank you! DD just started the candymakers, she has read almost every book but hasn’t discovered this one yet.
FWIW my dd learned a curse word from Andrew clements so I’m not so keen on those

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:39 pm
Malory towers

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 4:03 am
Terry Pratchett wrote some children's books that she might enjoy.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:03 am
Note that the series A Wrinkle in Time has some explicit parts, as well as one book that's sort of a parody of the Noach story.

Also, the Warriors series is intensely violent and graphic and is mostly about (personified) animals fighting viciously with each other. There are also some romances discussed between the animals, including some times when the female animal has kittens/puppies/whatever afterwards.

Just putting it out there to save mothers some prereading time if these issue would bother them Wink

nicejewishgal

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 11:35 am
Malory Towers - Loooved it as a kid!

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:23 pm
nicejewishgal wrote:
Malory Towers - Loooved it as a kid!

I bought the series for my 9yo. Not sure whether it would work for the 11-12yo. Enid Blyton is also getting rather dated. I keep having to explain different things to my dd. And for all the Americans, it's written in British English.

nicejewishgal

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 12:27 pm
amother Jean wrote:
I bought the series for my 9yo. Not sure whether it would work for the 11-12yo. Enid Blyton is also getting rather dated. I keep having to explain different things to my dd. And for all the Americans, it's written in British English.

That's why I loved it so much. It's so classic
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room