Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Carnivore Diet
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:11 am
Anyone heard of this?

You’re basically only eating meat, eggs, fish. Any animal product.

Reviews online are incredible for weight loss but somehow it seems so wrong and unhealthy.

I’m desperate for weight loss. It’s affecting my entire life and makes me so sad.

Thoughts?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone heard of this?

Reviews online are incredible for weight loss but somehow it seems so wrong and unhealthy.

I’m desperate for weight loss. It’s affecting my entire life and makes me so sad.

Thoughts?

From what I’ve heard from natural minded practitioners, high protein diets are very unhealthy. The human body was not meant to be carnivorous.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:21 am
Going no carb isn't healthy but it's healthier than this. Have you tried going off sugar and white flour?

Rappel

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:26 am
I'm watching my friend go through this now. Im all for varied biomes and personal needs, but this one seems strange to me. I don't think she looks healthier or happier. She did lose a moderate amount of weight... But she was living on junk food before this.

Success10

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 1:32 am
Sounds very bad for heart health. There are better ways of cutting carbs.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:29 am
I did carnivore for a month.

Breakfast: eggs fried in butter. Mixed in tuna.

Lunch: chicken

Supper: meat

Looking back it's not healthy to have tuna everyday. I would cut it down to 2x a week.

By the end of the month I was having really bad reactions to eggs. I couldn't eat eggs for several months after that. I'm fine now BH.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:32 am
https://carnivore.diet/ if you sign up for a membership you get a free consult with a coach. That was helpful for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Carnivo.....03941 carnivore cookbook, maria has lots of resources on her site as well.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:34 am
Organic chicken is best. Pelleh sells duck fat and duck meat. You need to get a little adventurous so you're not eating the same thing all the time. And it's expensive. I did it a few years ago and prices have only gone up.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:45 pm
I’m on day 19 of a carnivore diet. Of course on shabbos I partake of challah, at the Purim Seuda also. The first two shabbosim I ate way too many carby things, this past shabbos my meals were primarily meat and I felt so much better.

I find it helpful because of all the things I’m not eating. In the first week I kept encountering things I would have eaten had I not been on carnivore. My daughters were making iced coffee (w instant pudding mix, sugar, dairy) I passed on it, Purim I would have eaten several pastries, chocolates, etc. Stopped by cookie corner w a friend, I didn’t order anything for myself, I could go on. There were so many times I would have eaten something weather healthy or not that I just don’t because I’m on this carnivore diet. That alone has been incredibly helpful.

It keeps me very satisfied. Zero cravings which is very different for me. I find myself drinking so much more water, this had been difficult for me in the past. I received comments on my face being thinner from the first week. It seemed my face was bloated before.

I was already B’H a healthy person with no diagnosis or condition. I do have a lot of weight to lose. Primarily, that is my motivation, weight loss.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:49 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
I’m on day 19 of a carnivore diet. Of course on shabbos I partake of challah, at the Purim Seuda also. The first two shabbosim I ate way too many carby things, this past shabbos my meals were primarily meat and I felt so much better.

I find it helpful because of all the things I’m not eating. In the first week I kept encountering things I would have eaten had I not been on carnivore. My daughters were making iced coffee (w instant pudding mix, sugar, dairy) I passed on it, Purim I would have eaten several pastries, chocolates, etc. Stopped by cookie corner w a friend, I didn’t order anything for myself, I could go on. There were so many times I would have eaten something weather healthy or not that I just don’t because I’m on this carnivore diet. That alone has been incredibly helpful.

It keeps me very satisfied. Zero cravings which is very different for me. I find myself drinking so much more water, this had been difficult for me in the past. I received comments on my face being thinner from the first week. It seemed my face was bloated before.

I was already B’H a healthy person with no diagnosis or condition. I do have a lot of weight to lose. Primarily, that is my motivation, weight loss.

I’m still on the fence about it and I am still sad about my weight loss stalling.

Did you lose weight in those 19 days?

Can you share what an avg day looks like for you?

I’m still so tempted but I’m afraid of loss of energy. I have a few small children and scared I won’t be a good mom if I do this.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:01 pm
I lost a 7lbs but my clothes are much looser than 7 pounds.

The ‘carnivore calm’ they talk about is real. I have been a lot calmer. I tested in the past and I was grumpier a while after sugar. After carnivore I laugh more freely and I have more patience.

I’ve lost weight in the past and then it just comes back on. I’ve come to the conclusion that any temporary changes I make yield great results but then when I stop those changes I’ll start gaining again. I can do carnivore. It fills me up and stops my cravings.

I ate twice today. I just didn’t want anything else.
Had eggs in the morning (10’ish)
Had to eat out, wasn’t prepared, so had beef on a stick from glatt byte and chapped some grilled chicken from Gourmet Glatt.

The first weeks were different:
-Left a chuck on low in a crockpot overnight (super tender by morning)
-Made grounds in sauce in the morning (since then purchased a small 3qt slow cooker, leave grounds to cook overnight too)
-made salmon brushed w mustard sprinkled w garlic powder, onion powder and steak seasoning (osem also for my husband) put in the airfryer.

I pack meals for all of us on carnivore.

I have my husband, 2 sons and 2 daughters doing it for me.
A bit of a challenge since I still have to cook regular food for the rest of my kids.

Fun food:
Saucy grounds, add eggs, it’s a super yummy shakshuka. Tastes great.

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:09 pm
All diets come back in style, this one has been circling under different names, for over 100 years.

From what I understand the only study done on the Eskimo diet for health was in the 1920's. They found that yes it is healthy but, only if you eat the animal from head to hoof.
As in you have to eat the entire animal not just parts of it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone heard of this?

Thoughts?

Meats and animal protein are the most nutrient dense foods. Many people have had great experiences doing this but the big downside is it gets boring. Also it’s not inexpensive these days.

On the up side, you’re not eating processed garbage and it tastes good. Oh and you’re kosher for pesach year round lol.

If this interests you because you need strong boundaries, then ok but most people don’t go cold turkey ( pun intended) into this. They start with low carbohydrate, no processed foods and eventually decide to try it. It’s insanely boring even if you love meat, and I do.

People who have done this for serious gut issues have had great success. Anecdotally, a guy I know healed the ulcerative colitis that was killing him by doing it. My mom greatly lessened her IBS by eating more animal protein, no sugar, no grains, no starch and less plant matter on a very low carb way of eating. Even now she can eat stuff she couldn’t before and isn’t Even so strict as she was.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:11 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
From what I’ve heard from natural minded practitioners, high protein diets are very unhealthy. The human body was not meant to be carnivorous.

Says who?
There is not one scientific study proving this "fact".

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Going no carb isn't healthy but it's healthier than this. Have you tried going off sugar and white flour?

Why is going no carb not healthy? Carbs are the one macronutrient our bodies don't need. We can make it ourselves from the protiens and fats we eat. It's called gluconeogenesis.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:15 pm
GLUE wrote:
All diets come back in style, this one has been circling under different names, for over 100 years.

From what I understand the only study done on the Eskimo diet for health was in the 1920's. They found that yes it is healthy but, only if you eat the animal from head to hoof.
As in you have to eat the entire animal not just parts of it.

Eating nose to tail doesn’t have to be literal. No one eats certain parts. The Inuit also fed their animals.

It really means having a variety of different cuts and where possible organ meats and also not wasting things like collagen by ma king broths etc.

The health of the Inuit and many other First Nations was destroyed when the settlers came and started trading in processed foods. In Canada, the Hudson’s bay company and fur Trade destroyed their good health.

I buy off cuts all the time and use them in various ways. I’ve even bought fat from butchers and rendered it out. In fact chicken skin makes awesome soup and then we crisp up the remains for greben. Also we use the shmaltz. The principle of not wasting and eating even the non premium stuff addresses nose to tail adequately in my opinion.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone heard of this?

Thoughts?

It seems unhealthy because the USDA, AHA and ADA have told us it's unhealthy. Without any scientific studies to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzQAHITIUhg

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:21 pm
I actually did it for a while and lost nicely. I felt great on it and kept it off for a while even after going back to eat regular. I wasn't doing full carnivore but more animal based.
Basically meat, chicken, eggs, raw dairy. Fruits, honey, maple syrup. I made yummy ice cream fried my food in shmaltz or butter. I was eating tons. I did it with help from someone on Instagram.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:25 pm
I don't get why you can't just make a hard and fast rule of only eating things that are 5g of carbs or less.

Why the need to go all the way to the carnivore extreme?

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:42 pm
Many of the posters who said they kind of did the carnivore diet, probably didn't.

If you eat vegetables, you aren't doing the carnivore diet.

I eliminated carbs, and I eat primarily protein and vegetables. Again, that is not the carnivore diet.

Carnivore diet is ONLY animals, no plants.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise