Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How did everything turn into themes?
Previous  1  2

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 3:23 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
It's a kosher mm, why would it make you sad? Not good enough for you? Too nebby? Maybe the giver was busy caring for a sick family member and this is the best he can do right now?
Why impose your standards on others?
If it's not fancy, you give it back?
You want to prepare themed mm, don't look down your nose at others who don't.

Yes - I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that having to give a simple MM would make me sad. Like I would feel like my creativity was being stifled and something that brings me joy was being taken away from me, just because some people can't handle it.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 6:38 pm
I'm in my 40s and my mother used to give out themed m"m for as far back as I can remember, so it's not a new thing at all.

My family loves doing a theme for m"m. We discuss possible themes all year round and keep a list of our favorite options. We tend to do a relatively loose theme so the kids can choose how they want to dress up. Our oldest daughter is now a teenager and loves to make her own costumes and our other kids usually have a category they want to dress up as but won't mind if we choose something specific within that category that best fits the theme. We also don't give elaborate m"m, but we do tend to cook/bake a couple of things and buy a couple of things and tie it all together with a written story or cute message. We always get compliments and people look forward to seeing what we come up with each year. It's a lot of fun for the whole family or we wouldn't do it.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:42 pm
in the olden days, think early 1900s, hamantachen were hamotzie because food was scarce. it had to be part of the meal. these days, no one needs mishloach manos for a shabbos or purim seudah; it's all for fun. I think that's why themes and fancy packaging and even stickers and gifts got added.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 8:45 pm
Honestly, I think themes make things easier. Less thinking.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:53 am
I don't mind getting themed MM or even themed MM with coordinated costumes. When they're well done, it's fun to figure out how each item jives with the theme. What I can
detest is the endless appeals of "Help me with my MM theme" here on Imamother. Anyone I know who does themed MM works on it with the whole family and doesn't ask outsiders to do their homework for them. If you, or you and your family,lack the creative imagination to establish a theme, do something else that shows off YOUR talent, not other people's.

ETA I don't do themes.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:22 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
My grandmother was doing themes, I'm not sure that it's a new thing.

I've never been to a bris with a theme, what does that even look like?

What kind of themes did your grandmother do?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics