Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Decorators: What would you do to update this kitchen?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Decorators: What would you do to update this kitchen?

I dislike the floors, but floor is in perfect shape, and I priced redoing the floor, it adds $5,000+ to cost and painting cabinets another $5,000+, so I think at this point I want to get as modern a look as I can with only changing the counter and backsplash and fixtures, and sinks, etc (leaving cabinets and floor as is).

tia

Personally I would
1. Leave the counters
2. Update faucet and hardware on cabinets
3. Restain the cabinets a light wood color
4. Reglaze the backsplash white
5. Paint the wall above the cabinets white and add gold vases or white boxes
6. Update the light fixtures
I think this would be stunning at a low price point and you wouldn't have to repaint the cabinets or redo the floors

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:26 pm
The backsplash is the only part of this that really looks that bad.

I wouldn't worry too much about what is "current". That's too expensive a standard for kitchens.

The light fixtures, particularly the one over the sink, are not great. Replacing the cabinet knobs would certainly elevate the look: the current ones don't necessarily look dated, but they look bland and cheap.

If you replace those, you've got the opportunity to coordinate your metals better. You can use one or two metals, but they absolutely must be repeated (and carefully! My half bath has a bad version of mixed metals). Polished nickel is the current most in, but go with what you like, just make sure you repeat it a lot.

If the best location for a second sink is obvious, just put it in now, otherwise you might want to live with it as is for a while to see where it should go.

Painting the cabinets and changing the floor is probably too much effort for return. The problem isn't really the color: orangey wood isn't in, but more noticable is that the cabinets don't go to the ceiling and that they have partial overlay doors instead of full overlay or inset. There totally are ways of dealing with both issues without replacing your cabinets, but I'd wait to mess with any of that until you had a stronger vision of what you want.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 3:05 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Oooo no no no darker stain. So out. Its all white oak right now.

Its true that everything is white oak - but it is much harder to get that effect.
Op can acheive, if everything is solid wood, by sanding down and staining with a paint wash (painting with a watered down cream color and then wiping of immediately) and then sealing with a matt clearcoat. It can be done, and is easier to do properly diy then it is to paint ( and is more up to date)

Dark stain is more of a two - 5 years ago, and goes with white counters with white backsplash which are "current". Leaving as is screams 90's and early 2,000 - not that it is so bad. Its an easy, cheap diy project, impossible to mess up, and a lot better then leaving as is while investing in expensive counters and backsplash.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 3:34 pm
amother Narcissus[/b][/url]"]Personally I would
1. Leave the counters
I think this would be stunning at a low price point and you wouldn't have to repaint the cabinets or redo the floors[/quote]

I was going to suggest pretty much the same as this person. in process of full kitchen remodel doing light wood cabinets, white counters/backsplash and prob going black for faucets and handles/knobs. doing spots in the ceiling with 1 nice fixture over dinette area (I don't have island)

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 3:36 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Personally I would
1. Leave the counters
I think this would be stunning at a low price point and you wouldn't have to repaint the cabinets or redo the floors

You would leave the formica countertops?

And spend money on restaining cabinets that OP will eventually upgrade anyway?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 10:41 am
Librarian wrote:
A budget friendly way of updating your floor is high quality vinyl "wood" planks. They come in great colors and can look quite real. Get "click" type, not glue down. Can probably go right over existing tile. I would spend the money on the counters and backsplash and painting the cabinets. You can add under the counter led lighting for minimal cost.

I just asked about "Click" vinyl tiles and was told by a well known experienced Tile person that they stopped selling them, because after 6 months many people had the floor coming up and many other issues. The click tiles caused too many heartaches/aggravations from too many people.

Librarian

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I just asked about "Click" vinyl tiles and was told by a well known experienced Tile person that they stopped selling them, because after 6 months many people had the floor coming up and many other issues. The click tiles caused too many heartaches/aggravations from too many people.

Wow. I have mine for 2 years in a high traffic playroom which includes an outdoor entry and it looks brand new. My son and daughter in law have it in their entire first floor including entry way and it is in perfect condition. Perhaps the quality makes a difference.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 1:55 pm
Librarian wrote:
Wow. I have mine for 2 years in a high traffic playroom which includes an outdoor entry and it looks brand new. My son and daughter in law have it in their entire first floor including entry way and it is in perfect condition. Perhaps the quality makes a difference.

How long are the tiles that you have, supposed to last?

May I ask where and what you bought?

Do you prefer that I private message you?

Librarian

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:05 pm
I bought mine from Yuval Levy he is located in Brooklyn but he works all over the tri-state area. I have a life time guarantee. There are definitely differences in quality of the products out there. You would want a plank 6mm-8mm thick, for example.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:13 pm
Librarian wrote:
I bought mine from Yuval Levy he is located in Brooklyn but he works all over the tri-state area. I have a life time guarantee. There are definitely differences in quality of the products out there. You would want a plank 6mm-8mm thick, for example.

Thanks so much!

Im not finding a phone number for him. All I see is Yuval LeviYL Flooring ,Rugs, but no pine number is coming up.

Librarian

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:15 pm

Librarian

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:16 pm
He installed the new flooring in the 770 Eastern Pkwy building

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 28 2024, 2:18 pm
Librarian wrote:
He installed the new flooring in the 770 Eastern Pkwy building

Thanks. I dont see the name Yuval Levy on Imamother, though.

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Mar 02 2024, 11:44 pm
I installed interlocking vinyl tiles in my front hallway area (on top of my current porcelain tiles) as a more affordable option than ripping out the tiles 1 yr ago (high traffice area,large family) it looks perfect to date, and is really beautiful. Purchased in lakewood by step on me flooring (I will say they didnt' recommend it, but it wasn't such a large area and I was willing to take the gamble)

I wouldn't do it in my kitchen though, as I see a small nick in an area where something heavy fell.
For walking areas its fine, but I dont think in an area where plates fall, chairs are moved around, that it'll hold up
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen