Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
And then he laughed
Previous  1  2

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:36 pm
Just pointing out that a child can be smart and have delays.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:03 pm
I disagree with blaming this on a mismatch with the teacher. There is only so much any teacher can do in a mainstream classroom, experienced or not. He needs individual support, and probably a psychoed evaluation in the near future.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:16 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
I disagree with blaming this on a mismatch with the teacher. There is only so much any teacher can do in a mainstream classroom, experienced or not. He needs individual support, and probably a psychoed evaluation in the near future.

He's 3 years old!! A 3 yr old toddler doesn't need to be in any classroom at all, mainstream or experienced or otherwise Sad

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
He really is language delayed.
I got him services as soon as he was eligible
The slp always said that he was rough.
He is extremely strong
But he doesn’t really hurt ppl, at least not on purpose.
Even when he pushes his baby sister away (like when playing magnatiles and he doesn’t want her to touch) I notice he does it gently

He gets OT and SLP

But maybe he’s missing something he needs.

I’d bring it up again with the OT. I’d think this is under their jurisdiction. The sensory input and the expressing energy…

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 11:53 pm
Hatzlacha!! I've got two 2E teens neither of whom could be in Jewish schools. Public school does have enough gifted enrichment and SE support for my daughter but with my son we tried public, charter, homeschool..... schooling for him has been a massive challenge. Hopefully your son will be able to be well served by a local school.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 12:21 am
First step is a full neuro-psych evaluation to pinpoint the cause of the behaviors. Otherwise you will spend the next 5 years running from one therapist to the next, each of whom will help with one specific problem but you'll never get to the root cause.
This isn't the teachers fault or the childs fault. Any kid with language delays has a level of frustration. the level of frustration is tripled when the child is gifted and has a lot to share and no way to express it. HOWEVER, he doesn't sound angry and frustrated, he sounds a little out of touch with social norms - he knows what is expected but doesn't see that that means he should do it. Get a full evaluation before you waste money on anything else.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)