Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What're you reading these days?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:39 pm
I am really loving seeing all these very different and cool things everyone is reading! Thank you all for sharing, keep 'em coming.

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:47 pm
sequoia wrote:
That’s amazing! Maybe I will read it.

Aww, you’d really do that for me?! Wink

I would be happy to discuss any of Eliot’s novels - there are others that are probably better to start with if you’re new to her (no pressure).

amother
Lily

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:50 pm
I just reread Rule of Three by Esther Kurtz. That book really fuels me. From the first chapter of Facets in Family First (the book is a composite of three of her stories based on three characters who know each other), I felt like there were characters I could relate to- real. I actually think about my life and choices when I read it, because the characters are relatable enough for me to draw parallels, while being entertained.

I've also been reading through a bunch of kids M.C. Millman books, just because- I needed something light. Before that I was rereading Harry Potter, but once I got to book five I found myself depressed a lot.

Lovable

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:04 pm
I just started The new book from Riva Pomerantz (fave author !!) 6 Degrees
Loving it so far!

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 10:38 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Aww, you’d really do that for me?! Wink

I would be happy to discuss any of Eliot’s novels - there are others that are probably better to start with if you’re new to her (no pressure).

I’m not new to her; it actually used to be a running joke/drinking game how often I mentioned Daniel Deronda Smile

I’ve also read and enjoyed Middlemarch and Silas Marner, but not yet Romola.

It’s funny cause Romola Garai played Gwendolen in the BBC series of Daniel Deronda.

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:44 pm
sequoia wrote:
I’m not new to her; it actually used to be a running joke/drinking game how often I mentioned Daniel Deronda Smile

I’ve also read and enjoyed Middlemarch and Silas Marner, but not yet Romola.

It’s funny cause Romola Garai played Gwendolen in the BBC series of Daniel Deronda.

I remember watching that when it first came out!

So nice to find another Eliot fan. I’ve read the books you mentioned. Also highly recommend the Mill on the Floss. It touched me deeply.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:49 pm
Almost done with Don’t Leave Me This Way by Julia Fox Garrison - inspiring memoir by a woman who had a stroke at the age of 37 and made a significant recovery. Amazing determination!

Cheshire cat

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:02 am
daagahminayin wrote:
I remember watching that when it first came out!

So nice to find another Eliot fan. I’ve read the books you mentioned. Also highly recommend the Mill on the Floss. It touched me deeply.

Mill on the floss! I was consumed by that book back in high school! I remember sobbing over it for nights- It was such a wrenching read.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:25 am
Imamother lol!
Seriously, when does everyone have so much time to read? I’m jealous!

a2z

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:31 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Imamother lol!

We don't sit around on imamother commenting on threads that we don't have shaychus to

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:43 am
I am reading "Ethics of Our Fighters" which is about the ethical issues confronted by Israeli soldiers, and also, for something light, "11/22/63", a terrific time travel book.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:46 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Outlander- an echo in the bone
Mikvah Stories
Reclaiming dignity
One more, but I forgot what it is….
I read outlander during the week and the others on shabbos

How is Reclaiming Dignity?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 1:00 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Imamother lol!

Baby likes to nurse and doesn't like to sleep. I have some time to read and zero time to housekeep. It shows.

bgr8ful

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 3:52 am
amother Firebrick wrote:
The Boys from Biloxi
John Grisham

oh I love john grisham!

I recently finished "everyone in my family has killed someone" and loved it, highly recommend. I was laughing out loud.

over shabbos I started "the nightingale" by kristin hannah for some good old historical fiction; I'm like halfways through and its awesome so far.

are there any jonathan kellerman fans here? I love his alex delaware series but cant find anyone irl to share it with.

and if u know me and recognized me by these titles cuz ive been talking abt them nonstop, no u didnt

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 7:14 am
The Last Jews of Kerala, The 2,000 year history of India's forgotten Jewish community- Edna Fernandes

Written by a non-Jew not a Jewish historian.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 8:46 am
The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:00 am
Listening to Persuasion again for the bazillionth time (narrated by Nadia May). Currently laughing about Anne being pulled aside by everyone and told their complaints about each other and asked to intercede. I had a lot of that IRL this week!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:21 am
amother Tulip wrote:
How is Reclaiming Dignity?

I know you didn't ask me, but so far I'm enjoying the essays and definitely learned a thing or two.

Layokee

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 4:51 pm
Escape from India

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 9:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Finished! Now starting Nishmat HaMishnah by Rav Yakov Nagen

Finished, and now reading Judaism's Encounter with Other Cultures: Rejection or Integration? I originally bought this book just to read the fourth and final essay by R' Lichtenstein ztl, which I was able to finish over yom tov. He lays out his thoughts on both the value and the risks of devoting time to general studies, including and especially the humanities.

But the other three essays, which appear to be more historical, more descriptive than prescriptive, look very interesting and I'm going to try to get through by the end of chag.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room