Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Global entry
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:15 pm
What is the mobile passport app?

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:05 am
amother OP wrote:
What is the mobile passport app?

MPC app (Mobile Passport Control)

Its free and very convenient, you can fill out your customs forms on your phone and just scan it when you go through. There is usually a seperate, shorter line at customs for those using the app, but this may depend on the airport/time

It does not replace precheck or help with going through security though, it is only meant for customs on entry into the US

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 12:10 am
groisamomma wrote:
Not to derail, but this is the first I’ve heard of this. Basically, you buy your way out of being security checked? How is that safe if anyone with money can purchase it and avoid the patdowns and bag check at security?

It isnt buying your way out of security, you still go through security. Its just a seperate line, often much shorter and faster, and it is less stringent since everyone has already been pre-screened by TSA. You still have to put your bags through and walk through the metal detectors.

You also cant just "buy" it, its a very serious application process where they do major background checks on you and conduct in person interviews. Any sort of criminal history or even small red flags, you will not get accepted. It usually takes 4-6 months to get approved, but can take up to a year I believe.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:32 am
amother Chicory wrote:
MPC app (Mobile Passport Control)

Its free and very convenient, you can fill out your customs forms on your phone and just scan it when you go through. There is usually a seperate, shorter line at customs for those using the app, but this may depend on the airport/time

It does not replace precheck or help with going through security though, it is only meant for customs on entry into the US

Doe you now if JFK has it?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 8:46 am
I got global entry/tsa precheck last summer since I travel often. The lines definitely vary based on time of year/airport, but I’ve never waited longer than 10 minutes. Its usually 3 minutes or less. I was conditionally approved about a month after applying, but then you need to schedule an interview and it could take a few months to find an available slot. The one workaround, is if you know you’ll be traveling internationally soon after being approved, you can do your interview in the airport after you arrive in the US. This doesn’t require an appointment, I just waited about 45 minutes.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 9:46 am
amother OP wrote:
Doe you now if JFK has it?

Yes it does

giftedmom

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone have experience with global entry?
Does Everyone in the family need to apply? Children too? Or can one parent apply and it covers the whole family while traveling together?

Just did this and TSA pre. TSA parents are enough. Global entry everyone needs to apply.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 10:36 am
FYI for TSA pre check you can bring along your kids until age 17, but they aren't guaranteed to have a pre check stamp on their boarding pass (actually I don't always get the stamp either when I put my number in when booking, but you could go to a ticket agent and have them manually add it). For global entry every person needs a membership.

TSA pre check is useful when going through security before going to your gate. Global entry is useful when entering the US from another country and going through passport control.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 1:11 pm
So let’s say we are traveling from jfk to LA (or anywhere in the US). Pre check will be helpful to avoid those lines of security?

Will tsa pre check also help with security when going from the USA to Israel?

How hard is it to get tsa pre check? How long does it take?

Not sure why I’m having trouble wrapping my head around this

Thanks everyone for you patients and help!

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
So let’s say we are traveling from jfk to LA (or anywhere in the US). Pre check will be helpful to avoid those lines of security?

You can use TSA pre check at security in any US airport, no matter where you're going. They have their own security line which is usually much shorter. You also don't have to take off your shoes or light sweaters.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:07 pm
We got global entry as a perk for a credit card, I can't remember which as my DH deals with it.
Worth looking into.
It's amazing, game changer with traveling.

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 2:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

The application process for precheck is the same for global entry, so expect it to take the same amount of time and you will still need to do the in person interview

It is helpful for security in all US airports regardless of where you travel to. But keep in mind at certain times the line is closed (usually for late night flights)

Another option for security you can look into is CLEAR
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics