Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you give fancy MM to parents/in laws?
Previous  1  2

little neshamala

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:33 pm
No, both my parents and inlaws get the same regular MM I give everyone else.
Never thought to do otherwise

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:41 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
No I don't. I give them what I give everyone else. Which is not fancy at all, simple nerdy thing. They couldn't care less. BH both families are not the showing off type.

Its not a showing off thing. At least not for my MIL. for my MIL its that you put in effort to do something nice for her.
maybe for my mom it is a showing off type a bit. my mom thrives on these things. but then maybe I'm supposed to extend myself if this is something that she may consider showing hakaras hatov for for being my parents...
whatever. I guess its just too bad! I don't even know where to start to create charcuterie boards, royal icing cookies, beautifully decorated cheese cakes etc. I'll stick with my nerdy MM and too bad if parents really want me to do more Smile

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 10:43 pm
Yes I make our parents much nicer ones than what I give out to everyone else

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 20 2024, 11:21 pm
I’ve never even heard of this. I always do a theme and a picture with my mm, and my parents and in-laws love seeing what I did. I know they don’t eat the nosh, but they still like seeing how it all ties in.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:07 am
My in-laws come to our seuda, we don't give them MM.
My parents - if I see them on Purim (doesn't always work out) I'd give them something regular, like the rest of the mishloach manot that I give.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:27 am
I’m sad that this has become a ‘thing’ in certain circles. Needing to do things with pictures and creative fanciness. And I’m the creative type. Like everything else, it probably started with a few ppl doing it and now became a social norm and expectation. Oy.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:31 am
I don’t know if it’s fancy per se, but I make a special MM for my father with assorted dried fruits and nuts (which he loves) and home baked hamantaschen from my mom’s recipe. It’s much bigger and more substantial than what I give to friends and neighbors. It’s more about showing that we care than impressing anyone. My in laws live in a different city. Early in my marriage, I used to send MM from their shul or a nearby place, but now I just send a donation card. They are fine with that.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:56 am
We give everyone the same m"m, from our parents to our siblings to our cousins to our rabbi. We always do a theme and our m"m usually contain a mix of homemade food and store bought items, but we try to stay away from pure junk food. Our parents are always excited to see what we made and how it goes with our theme and taste anything new. We don't do fancy packaging either.

We're going to my in laws for the seuda this year and I will be bringing a salad as per my MIL's request, but I don't consider that m"m.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics