Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o of $40k is $150k a year enough to get by?
Previous  1  2

Is $150k enough to get by for a couple in their high 30s
Yes  
 29%  [ 39 ]
No  
 65%  [ 86 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 132

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:01 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
We live on less than 150 K post tax with 4 kids, 3 school tuitions. We bought our house when prices and mortgages were low and the area new for frum people. We go on lots of vacations with credit card points, thanks to dans deals. So that keeps us from feeling poor.

150k pretax and post tax are very different. Our 150k pretax ends up being 90k post tax

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:44 pm
Hi
I voted yes, but didn’t see how many kids .
Sorry nope, change my vote to no

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:15 pm
Yes , we make between 145K-150K gross with 8 kids in Lakewood and B"H we are making it. We do not have food stamps or CHS. I'm grateful to Hashem that we can afford our life.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:14 pm
The question is irrelevant, your parnassah is dictated by Hashems decision (on RH...) and its up to us to live within our means.
Its not what you have but what you do with it that counts.

Chloe22

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:23 am
It depends on how many kids you have and how much tuition is

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 7:47 am
voted yes to couple. with 6-10 kids no because of tuition.
where I live, many people get by with less. small NJ community, if you bought a house before 2022 it was still very affordable, mortgage payments for a big house are around $2500 per month with a very small down payment having been put down. many people qualify for school vouchers since they are low income, as well as NJ family care insurance in addition to WIC which covers a chunk of the groceries and few qualify for EBT as well. this makes it manageable however not easy. when it comes to buying clothing and shoes for the new season in middle of yom tov season I cant imagine how that would be covered.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:14 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
Yes , we make between 145K-150K gross with 8 kids in Lakewood and B"H we are making it. We do not have food stamps or CHS. I'm grateful to Hashem that we can afford our life.

wow. glad to hear. gives me hope

We are making in that range with 4 little kids. It covers our expenses now bh. Im hoping our salaries keep up with increasing expenses and inflation.

How much is your mortgage? tuition bill?

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:15 am
amother Clear wrote:
150k pretax and post tax are very different. Our 150k pretax ends up being 90k post tax

yep. After taxes, health insurance and 401k is deducted

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:17 am
amother Vanilla wrote:
yep. After taxes, health insurance and 401k is deducted

So you’re saying that in reality you make a lot more than $150k and you still feel tight….

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:28 am
amother OP wrote:
So you’re saying that in reality you make a lot more than $150k and you still feel tight….

I feel we are comfortably covering our bills. I only have 4 kids now and only 1 is in school. Rest are in playgroups, babysitters etc.

with 6-10 older kids, I dont see how this would cut it.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:19 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
wow. glad to hear. gives me hope

We are making in that range with 4 little kids. It covers our expenses now bh. Im hoping our salaries keep up with increasing expenses and inflation.

How much is your mortgage? tuition bill?

Our mortgage is about $2800 per month and our tuition is about $4000/month including school and playgroups.

mig100

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:40 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Our mortgage is about $2800 per month and our tuition is about $4000/month including school and playgroups.

Do u have a basement rental?

Are u able to save any money after paying for basics?

amother
Dustypink

Post Sat, Mar 30 2024, 9:35 pm
mig100 wrote:

Do u have a basement rental?

Are u able to save any money after paying for basics?

Yes, we have a basement rental and that is included in my yearly income calculations. We have not put into savings regularly in the last few years since we bought a house but we try to put tax returns and extra money into savings whenever we can. We have saved about $35K (rough estimate) in the last 5+ years.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics