Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How old is too old for a new career?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:34 pm
I'm in my late 40s. Always been drawn to medicine. Used to go visiting sick people in hospitals as a teen and loved the atmosphere there. After high school I went to nursing school orientation and seriously considered becoming a nurse, but a relative who was a nurse talked me out of it. Went on to get married and have kids and do mostly babysitting and some typing jobs and not making much money. I've never lost my pull toward medicine though. It's something that I take great interest in and read up on and people often consult with me and ask for medical advice.

Yesterday DH and I were talking about our "inner callings" and DH asked me what mine was. I said I didn't think I had one. Then I thought about it and said medicine and he said yes, he was about to say that. He knows how at home I feel in the hospital and how much it interests me. I said it's too bad I'm too old to do anything about it, and he said maybe I'm not.

My kids are all in school or married so maybe it would be technically doable at this point, but how crazy would that be? I don't know which field I would go into (definitely not going to be a doctor but maybe a nurse, an ultrasound technician, or something along those lines... really, almost anything in a hospital), but all of those would require schooling, and by the time I finish school, I'd probably be 50 or more and how many years would that leave me to work? Am I totally crazy for thinking this way?

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:40 pm
The Dr who started my kids pediatric practice was in her 40s when she went to med school. She just retired in her mid 60s so she worked for 25 years as a Dr. I also know women who went to nursing school in their 40s.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:43 pm
If you are passionate about it, it is worth it. But financially, it may not be the smartest thing to do.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:47 pm
Thanks. I forgot to add that I never even got my BA. I started college but dropped out when I had kids and couldn't keep up.
Is there some kind of hospital job where I could just take a course for a few months and then start working without getting a BA and going through years of schooling?

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:50 pm
I say go for it! Do an accelerated degree program

There’s a poster on this forum who shared that she went to nursing school in her late 40s or 50s

nursemomma

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:55 pm
I think sonography you can do in 12 months.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:58 pm
nursemomma wrote:
I think sonography you can do in 12 months.

But would I need a BA for it?

I also forgot to add that I'm in Israel so things may be a little different.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:59 pm
Think of it as what do you want to do for the next 20 years!?!

I would definitely look into it and strongly consider.
An ultrasound technician, a phlebotomist, a medical assistant are all good options if you don’t want a lot of schooling, but you can definitely still become an RN if that is your passion.

(My neighbor is in her 40’s and currently in medical school)

Wishing you much hatzlacha

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 4:01 pm
Following because my husband is in his mid 30’s and wants to start school now. He doesn’t either have a BA: plus he would be would be working while doing school at night. Not sure if it’s worth it as by the time he finishes he’ll be in his 40’s….

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 4:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
But would I need a BA for it?

I also forgot to add that I'm in Israel so things may be a little different.

Yes things are different, but I'm pretty sure you don't need a BA. There's other fields similar to sonography. Nursing school is much more intensive. But go for it! Make some calls.

Just One

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 4:04 pm
You're not too old. Nursing is actually one of the more popular second careers and your life experience will translate into much better patient care.
I'm in my thirties and in school with similar interests. My fellow students include students your age and older. My oldest classmate was in her mid sixties and she was aiming for a masters in midwifery!
A nursing degree will pay itself back within 1-3 years of working in the field so the finances shouldn't be insurmountable.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 4:16 pm
Dead is too old for a new career. Grandma Moses started painting in her seventies. OTOH no one will accept a forty-five year old accountant into a test-pilot training program or to ballet school. IOW, it's never too late to change careers, but some careers don't lend themselves to starting at an advanced age.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:22 am
Thanks for the encouragement! Who can tell me what the options are for a field that doesn't require a BA or extensive schooling or a huge amount of investment? I have a large family including little kids and would have to work while studying so I don't feel like I can do something too demanding. Any suggestions?

Einikel

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:48 am
Someone actually started a thread on going to nursing school at 54
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....53465

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 2:57 pm
I say go for it!

Traveller247

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:02 pm
Absolutely go for it!
No practical advice but it's not too late

momomany

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:11 pm
I went to nursing school in my 40s to fulfill a lifelong dream. It took less then 3 years to get my bachelors. Most of it was covered by a scholarship. I'm 55 now and I love being a nurse. Best thing I ever did!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:12 pm
"The best time to plant a tree is ten years ago.
The second best time is now."

avigail

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:17 pm
Also depends how much is for satisfaction and how nuch you need the money. Generally the shorter the training the less money you make
If you love medicine/ taking care ofppl, I don't know phlebotomy will satisfy you. But maybe you can work as a phlebotomist to help pay nursing school tuition.
Are you Israeli? If not how good is your Hebrew? Can you easily do college in Israel?
I'm a nurse and highly recommended it. Especially for the versatility - there are so many directions you cab go as a nurse.
I had many classmates in their 40s and older
But salary in Israel is not near us nurse salary..make sure its worth it

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:47 am
I went back to school in my mid 30s and finished a masters program just before I turned 40. On the one hand, I’m very glad I did it, because I have a job I love that pays pretty well. On the other hand, the years I was in school were really hard, for both me and my family. I have regrets about that. I wasn’t able to be present for them like I should have been, both physically and emotionally. I was always so stressed. You don’t get those years back, and I think it affected my relationship with some of my kids. (They were all school age when I started.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics