Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Behavioral issues = pandas?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Doctor thinks probably stemming from anxiety and no need to test for pandas. I actually saw a much better version of the child during pesach break. I’d think I’d actually pandas then behavior wouldn’t change like that

In this case sounds school related. If it happens again I'd look into the teacher and friend situation and make sure child is being treated well and that they don't need academic or social help etc..

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:17 pm
If it is pandas, your child may have been doing better because of the changes in food the child was eating. For some kids this can have a big impact.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:19 pm
amother Rose wrote:
If it is pandas, your child may have been doing better because of the changes in food the child was eating. For some kids this can have a big impact.

Or it's not pandas. And on pesach most kids eat very badly. Mostly carbs and sugar. Most kids are over stimulated and off schedule. Kids with pandas would not do better on pesach.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:22 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Or it's not pandas. And on pesach most kids eat very badly. Mostly carbs and sugar. Most kids are over stimulated and off schedule. Kids with pandas would not do better on pesach.

do you have a kid with pandas?
I do and my child does much better on pesach generally. There are no processed foods, everything is clean and free of preservatives, coloring etc. which reduces a lot of my child's behaviors. Additionally, triggers for anxiety are much lower since my child is around me all the time so that gets better as well.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:42 pm
By us, anxiety improved because she went off her stimulants.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:51 pm
amother Rose wrote:
do you have a kid with pandas?
I do and my child does much better on pesach generally. There are no processed foods, everything is clean and free of preservatives, coloring etc. which reduces a lot of my child's behaviors. Additionally, triggers for anxiety are much lower since my child is around me all the time so that gets better as well.

Your child not being anxious when only around you is not really a solution. We have processed food on pesach, we buy a lot of things that are even junkier than chometz. Not everyone cooks from scratch or has severe limitations on what you can eat on pesach. And it all has loads of sugar. Anxiety has to be dealt with regardless of what it stems from.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Your child not being anxious when only around you is not really a solution. We have processed food on pesach, we buy a lot of things that are even junkier than chometz. Not everyone cooks from scratch or has severe limitations on what you can eat on pesach. And it all has loads of sugar. Anxiety has to be dealt with regardless of what it stems from.

Yes, of course. But a child behaving better on Pesach is not an indicator that its not pandas, thats an incorrect assumption. I would first see if there is something going wrong at school, but if there isn't then I wouldn't take Pandas off the table.

flyakite

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:08 pm
OP, why don't you just have your doctor run bloodwork: ASO and DNASE for strept titers, Mycoplasma pneumoniae titers (igg & igm), and complete panel for lyme and coinfections. That should give you some more info. If titers are elevated you can consider your next course of action in this regard.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:16 pm
flyakite wrote:
OP, why don't you just have your doctor run bloodwork: ASO and DNASE for strept titers, Mycoplasma pneumoniae titers (igg & igm), and complete panel for lyme and coinfections. That should give you some more info. If titers are elevated you can consider your next course of action in this regard.
OP said her doctor wasn't wiling to run labs

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
we have our reasons for attempting OT instead of conventional therapy at this point. I’ve been in touch though with social workers regarding what’s going on and I’ve been told that 2
We’re handling it all the right way. Even the school is baffled bc they assumed lot of her behaviors would have gone away based on how they handled it but she must just be super stubborn or something else is going and no one can figure it out.

I’ve tired different parenting techniques with her to the point that my older kids are annoyed bc they think she’s getting away with more than they did. No it’s just that being my normal stricter parent didn’t work with her so trying a different approach but that doesn’t seem to be helping either

I always just thought she was a tougher kid - more sensitive, intense emotions, etc. this is her personality and she just needs to learn how to put it to good use. But after reading all these threads on pandas it got me thinking that maybe I should be digging deeper and it’s not as straightforward as l thought.

Pandas is a very polarizing topic as you can tell from this thread. Trust your gut. If you think there’s something more there, explore it. If you want testing - find a doctor to do the lab work.
You can’t just take everything the medical community says at face value if you feel like it’s a cop out.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:46 pm
amother Rose wrote:
Yes, of course. But a child behaving better on Pesach is not an indicator that its not pandas, thats an incorrect assumption. I would first see if there is something going wrong at school, but if there isn't then I wouldn't take Pandas off the table.

How do you see if something is wrong at school if the morah says the kid is happy and fine?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics