Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What was in style a few years ago that looks outdated today?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is wearing a shell under a (long sleeve) top for a neckline problem also out of style?

I consider myself pretty well dressed and I know many other people also do.

I totally wear a v neck cardigan with a shell for layering, with a denim maxi skirt. Bought this year. And- gasp- some of my skirts are knee length! Idc, I'm short, it looks much nicer on me so I definitely wear both.

A lot of these rules tend to depend on how you wear the item & carry yourself.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 3:48 pm
Agree with poster above.

I’m 5.7 and thin (bh) early 30’s.
I wear lots of different styles some even mentioned here as a no-no and I look up to date.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:01 pm
Why do people over 50 look silly if they wear trendy clothes everybody is allowed to wear whatever they like

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:03 pm
I wear a shell every day. Hmph to anyone who takes issue with it.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:13 pm
amother White wrote:
I think my questions got lost when the thread moved on to parenting teens. I hope no minds if I post them again.
-
Can I still wear a dress or skirt that’s below the knee in one place and long, almost to the ankle on the other side? Uneven hemlines were in a few summers ago but I don’t know if I can still wear them. I can probably have them fixed to a straight hem.
Can I still wear pleated skirts? I have one below the knee and one longer than mid calf. The talk about the paneled skirts is making me think I need to stop wearing my pleated ones.

Stores still sell it so I consider It in style

amother
White

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:36 pm
amother Milk wrote:
Stores still sell it so I consider It in style

Which one? The uneven hem or the pleated skirt?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:41 pm
I've definitely noticed a "clean girl" aesthetic but I think that's more in style in Brooklyn than Lakewood (I know nothing about Lakewood). But as someone who is also adjusting to a new body (yay postpartum) and trying to dress better, I've found that getting one or two items that I really like and dressing them simply but well makes me feel attractive and presentable. Not too many clashing patterns, more blacks and neutrals, I'm still gravitating towards flowy skirts/cropped tops because they hide the mom pooch. And a lil makeup. Simple pieces are easier to match with each other. I've gotten a couple compliments.

Also, if you can follow some orthodox Jewish ladies on Instagram and see what kind of outfits you like, you can start building your wardrobe towards what you want. Chasing trends is exhausting and expensive but buying clothes you like and wearing them with confidence is priceless (to the extent that even your daughters will pick up on it).

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:44 pm
Can you explain clean girl style? (I live in BP)

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:47 pm
amother White wrote:
I’m enjoying this thread. Thanks op!
Can I still wear a dress or skirt that’s below the knee in one place and long, almost to the ankle on the other side? Those uneven hemlines were in a few summers ago but I don’t know if I can still wear them without looking weird. Can I still wear pleated skirts? I have a pleated skirt that’s below the knee and one that’s longer than mid calf. Is it still okay to wear those?

Asymmetric hemline is still in style. Pleats are not trendy but they are classic.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 4:49 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Can you explain clean girl style? (I live in BP)

Sure! "Clean girl" the way I understand it usually applies to makeup-- focusing on one or two products rather than a lot of colors, enhancing the natural rather than glamorizing. Slicked back hair treated with oils rather than curled or straightened.

With clothes it becomes simple pieces, not a lot of patterns, white sneakers with no label. A plain straight dress with a turtleneck underneath, each a plain color? Meets the criteria.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 5:08 pm
amother Pink wrote:
Thanks for letting me know I look silly. I'm 10 years older than that, lately lost a lot of weight and love getting dressed trendy! silly? no! not at all! I'm just looking GOOD!

Same! I'm 48 thin and trendy...

Tao

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 5:09 pm
dankbar wrote:
I don't think today young einiklach want to wear their old bubby's old fashioned jewelry

I'd consider myself young-ish (20's) and I love my great-grandmother's ring that was gifted to me. It's been passed down through all the women until me and I hope to have a daughter one day to pass it down to as well. The only reason I don't wear it right now is because unfortunately it doesn't fit at the moment, but I'm hoping that will change too!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 5:41 pm
Classic black pencil skirts DONT go out of style. Skirt leggings may be trendy, however.
Any black skirt that is flattering is IN STYLE.
Except super trendy ones like a Bubble skirt or uneven hem. But a slight aymmetrical skirt is always in.
As long as it's not super trendy, it's always in style.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 5:56 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
Why is it considered normal and OK for teens to critique their mothers clothes?
I got married young and had my daughter at 19. I was conscious that I'm a young mother and I didn't want to raise her with the best friends vibe that breeds disrespect. I handled myself with dignity as the adult in the room. I never asked her opinion about my clothes, she never expressed any except the occasional compliment, and if she was ever embarrassed of me, well I never knew of it because she kept her opinion to herself.

Now she's a young married and we have a great relationship. She asks me to go shopping with her because she values my opinion. I may show her something I bought myself but I don't ask her opinion.

It can totally be done. I'm not some parenting genius and never learnt this in any course. Mothers please, your kid doesn't want to be your best friend, don't cultivate a relationship that breeds disrespect. If you want a fashion opinion ask your sister or friend or mother. Not your child. This is a line that shouldn't be crossed, it never ends.

And women of 35+ dressed trendy just look silly, imo.

I’m also an “old school” kind of parent, not looking to be “friends” with my kids. But I see absolutely no issue asking my teen daughters what they think of something I try on. I value their opinions, both of them have a great eye, and we all know that sometimes other people can catch something you wouldn’t necessarily notice (like clingy in the back or something). I don’t think it “equates” us at all or anything, and they are amazing, solid, respectful girls (type who would speak to me in 3rd person if I’d allow it). Respectfully, I really don’t agree that one thing has anything to do with the other. I like that my girls know that I’m humble enough to ask for their thoughts and truly value their perspective.

ETA: they obviously don’t say things like “eew, don’t wear that.” That’s where the disrespect is, IMO. But I do ask them frequently what they think about things and they tell me the truth - respectfully.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:01 pm
amother Jean wrote:
I’m also an “old school” kind of parent, not looking to be “friends” with my kids. But I see absolutely no issue asking my teen daughters what they think of something I try on. I value their opinions, both of them have a great eye, and we all know that sometimes other people can catch something you wouldn’t necessarily notice (like clingy in the back or something). I don’t think it “equates” us at all or anything, and they are amazing, solid, respectful girls (type who would speak to me in 3rd person if I’d allow it). Respectfully, I really don’t agree that one thing has anything to do with the other. I like that my girls know that I’m humble enough to ask for their thoughts and truly value their perspective.

I like this post. But the thing is it never would have even dawned on me to comment on my mom’s style. I’m in my 40s. Back when I was a teen we were all mortified of our parents, but would never tell them. My friend in Brooklyn told me that she finds Lakewood girls are mortified of their parents and Brooklyn girls aren’t. This was early 2000s. Wonder if it was true. Obviously Lakewood has changed a ton since then.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:05 pm
Clean girl is actually on its way out. As well as the solid colored yoga clothes type of wear.

yudiyu

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:13 pm
Trends come and go but you still need your own style. If you do want to look up to date though then I think shoes make a huuge difference. Like clogs or loafers or chunky trainers.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:26 pm
So I would have no problem asking her opinion about something like home decor, or the younger children's wardrobes, if I would want another opinion. But by asking her opinion about my own stuff, I feel like that opens up the conversation that her comments are appreciated and appropriate. This was just my gut feeling and I did feel I chose right when I'd hear the critical way my friends kids would talk to them, and I never had this issue. Perhaps I just raised a great kid, (she is!) but I do remember making a conscious choice because I was a young parent. My next daughter is still young, let's see how she grows up in this regard.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:30 pm
So interesting that everyone is saying that shells are out of style! I see so many vests lately, are those not worn with a shell ?

amother
Lily

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:30 pm
I’m always in style because I just wear black 😝 it hides my extra weight… when I lose weight I’ll start dressing nicely… I’ve been saying that for a few years!
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics