Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Babysitting- What would you do?

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 2:07 pm
I teach in a school and this year they are offering babysitting service (like daycare) in the school, for a fee but much cheaper than other babysitters are taking per hour. I was really looking forward to this arrangement as it means paying for less time (the time it takes to get to school and back), and it means that I will be able to go nurse my baby after it is IY"H born. Now when school started, I am not so excited anymore and am very unsure what to do. Here's my issue: They have two separate "classes" for two different age groups, one for infants and one for toddlers. The younger group has real babies-the oldest is twelve months and theres only one, the rest are under ten months, (5, 6, 8...) The older group ranges from 15-16 months till nearly 2 1/2 years. Now, my daughter is 16 1/2 months and should really be in the older class, but the teacher from the older class does not want children who are not walking and my daughter is not walking yet! (yeah, an issue for another rant! I am going nuts) I mentioned it again today, and she said it wouldn't really work because she runs it like a playgroup-circle time... so when they have free play it would be fine but anytime they need to go around in a circle or anything like that, if she doesn't walk she won't be able to participate. Right now my daughter is in the younger group, but I feel that it is not right for her, there is not enough stimulation, not enough age appropriate toys (more geared to infants). I don't think anyone really plays with her or anything...
right now she is still getting used to being left without her mommy for a few hours (she was fine with it before the summer but now there is an adjustment period again).

I am not sure what to do, should I leave her with the babies till she walks, or should I insist on having her with the older group?

(BTW, Any tips for encouraging her to walk would also be appreciated)

Sorry for the long rant, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 2:14 pm
if she was at home (as most kids that age are) she wouldn't be with a bunch of kids her own age anyway. maybe you could bring in some age appropriate toys, or make sure some are bought aover from the other class.

chances are she will be walking soon and can go to the other class. Althogh really I cant see why the other group can't take her. How long to they spend doing circle time with that age babies? Im sure there are kids who don't participate because they are shy - will they throw them out because of that?

bebe3

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:16 pm
There is no incentive for her to walk if she can just crawl around with the babies. If she is put into a class with other walkers she would most likely try to be like them.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:24 pm
I don't get it. Why can't she just play by herself for whatever circle time she can't participate in? If she is mature enough socially to interact with children her own age, why put her with little babies instead?

Dini

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 5:35 pm
I would try to insist, but some people are tough to convince...or maybe she can take your child out during circle time so that the rest of the time she can be with kids her age?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 7:29 pm
its normal to walk anytime till 18 months, I dont think babies need playgroups. kids under age three dont need others to play with. all babies that age need is lots and lots of love and attention
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics