Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I am obese and fed up any tips?
Previous  1  2

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 1:17 pm
Aurora, you're blessed. I'm a sugar addict, literally. As long as I don't taste junk food I'm ok, but the minute something crosses my lips, I'm craving it more and more. There's no such thing for me as "Have a little of some really quality ice cream (or chocolate or whatever), satisfy your craving and go on your merry way. " I was given this advice many many times in my life and for me that's a huge mistake. That serving of whatever, makes no difference if it's generic supermarket junk or the richest snob-appeal product on earth, satisfies nothing but only sparks the craving like a match thrown onto a puddle of gasoline. It's exactly like being a recovering alcoholic for whom even a single swallow of alcohol undoes the entire recovery to date.

Aurora

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 1:20 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Aurora, you're blessed. I'm a sugar addict, literally. As long as I don't taste junk food I'm ok, but the minute something crosses my lips, I'm craving it more and more. There's no such thing for me as "Have a little of some really quality ice cream (or chocolate or whatever), satisfy your craving and go on your merry way. " I was given this advice many many times in my life and for me that's a huge mistake. That serving of whatever, makes no difference if it's generic supermarket junk or the richest snob-appeal product on earth, satisfies nothing but only sparks the craving like a match thrown onto a puddle of gasoline. It's exactly like being a recovering alcoholic for whom even a single swallow of alcohol undoes the entire recovery to date.

Ooof, that's really hard. In that case, maybe treat yourself like a recovering alcoholic?

And I'm also struggling with my weight, I'm just having trouble cutting out little treats and snacks. I try to keep snacks I like out of the house completely. So if I want one, I have to go out of the house and buy it.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 1:22 pm
For me, OA was my miracle. I lost a significant amount of weight and have kept it off for many years. There are others I've met like me too. I never would have thought it was possible

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 1:30 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:

Me too

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 2:03 pm
[quote="Aurora"]Ooof, that's really hard. In that case, maybe treat yourself like a recovering alcoholic?

/quote]

I do. That means completely abstaining. You'll notice there is no such thing as a "recovered" alcoholic, even if they haven't had a drop for forty years. Something in their metabolism causes the alcohol addiction to switch on the minute they ingest any alcohol at all, regardless of how long it's been since they had a drink. They require total abstinence, no ifs, ands, or buts. many people don't realize this and try to persuade a recovering alcoholic to "have just one small drink to celebrate, you don't have to binge." That works only for people who were never alcoholics in the first place.

Experiments in rats show that sugar can induce bingeing, craving and withdrawal anxiety just like drugs. Research shows that in humans, too, excess sugar may be as addictive as street drugs and affect the brain in similar ways.

BmoreBubby

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 3:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am obese and totally fed up. I am desperate to lose weight. I hate getting out of the house for this reason. I have no energy. I am in high thirties weighing 270 lbs . If you lost lot of weight please advise how you did it diet, surgery , injections and if you would recommend it. I am desperate for help!!!

Been there - get it - it's a huge struggle. The good news is that you can do this. The bad news is that dieting doesn't work most of the time because without permanent changes to the way we eat, the weight will come back and no one wants that. And permanent changes to the way we eat includes changes to the way we shop.

If you can afford it, hiring an RD is the best way to go (but you have to follow their directions!) But you can also go to Torah Health and look at the Food Resources there. The key is slow but steady progress. Good luck! You are clearly motivated, which is the most important thing! You just need a systematic action plan.

BmoreBubby

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 3:03 pm
Aurora wrote:
And I'm also struggling with my weight, I'm just having trouble cutting out little treats and snacks. I try to keep snacks I like out of the house completely. So if I want one, I have to go out of the house and buy it.

That's a very good idea.

BmoreBubby

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 3:04 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
For me, OA was my miracle. I lost a significant amount of weight and have kept it off for many years. There are others I've met like me too. I never would have thought it was possible

I'm glad you mentioned that. I haven't done OA myself but have heard that it has helped many people.

elaela

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 3:09 pm
amother Violet wrote:
I am obese and tried everything for years, nothing worked.

Finally found something that works:

intermittent fasting with low carb (high fat, high protein)
The high fat high protein keeps me full, I am not hungry.

I dont eat breakfast, I eat lunch at 12.

Oh, and eliminating most carbs cleared up my brain fog!!

THIS!!!!! And exercise

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 3:13 pm
I vote sleeve to. I would choose to redo it once a year if I would have to. I know so many people who kept their weight off beautifully.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 3:34 pm
Vegan Yenta wrote:
Ok. Here is how I lost 60 pounds. Forks Over Knives. Get their books. All Kosher. Eliminate all oil. All oil. Eat potatoes, corn, yams, squash, tofu beans salads. Eat enormous satisfying amounts of baked or roasted potatoes. I've been LIVING this way for years. I eat more than anyone around me and I am slender. No meat, no dairy, no eggs.

True! I know few people who were very successful using this method.

Shani...

Post Thu, May 23 2024, 5:03 pm
Zaq - your post is golden, I myself have followed a similar plan which included 1 small change a week and I have found that the perspective shift is gradual and powerful.

As a side note, I also did a no carb/no sugar diet and lost very little - less than 2lbs in 7 weeks for perspective. After that I reintroduced carbs and lost at a faster pace. It's is not a one size fits all this one clearly didn't work for me.

Wishing you success OP.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise